Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Buick LaCrosse CXL

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 06:40 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
Sounds to me like mmarshall thinks they are contenders with the exception of the fact that the ES uses real wood veneer and the LaCrosse doesn't. Quality/authenticity of surface interior trim pieces is pretty minor exception.

So I'd say you should give it a look in person before letting mmarshall's (IMO undue) focus on plastic wood trim make you believe the rest of the car isn't worth the hype. It is.
I wouldn't say it is undue. Some plastic wood trim, IMO looks quite good. Some doesn't. The LaCrosse, IMO, is generally in the latter category.

Also, I have just never liked a lot of the plastic that GM uses in its interiors. You can contrast that to the more solid and durable plastic you see in Acuras and some Subarus.

I agree with you, though, that interior plastic alone should not necessarily be a deal-breaker....if the rest of the car is agreeable, then go for it.

It's just that you spend a LOT of time in the driver's seat of your car; you have to look at the interior constantly, and how nice that interior around you is can be a big factor in your long-term satisfaction wth the car.

Pretty much all other articles out there agree they're contenders if not flat out state the ES350 has been beaten.
The ES350 has (maybe) been beaten, but, IMO, the former ES330 sure hasn't.
Old 10-13-09, 06:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I briefly sat in a new LaCrosse and felt some of the trim felt a little thin, but it would probably wear OK. There's no denying that the design is stylish, and the quality of some interior pieces wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I were in the market for one.
I agree.....see my previous post, above.
Old 10-16-09, 09:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Is anyone on CL actually interested in a 4-cylinder LaCrosse? I suspect that the widespread interest in the V6 models will not likely spread over to the fours....at the moment, I don't see any reason to go back and test-drive a four in December.
Old 10-16-09, 09:59 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Is anyone on CL actually interested in a 4-cylinder LaCrosse? I suspect that the widespread interest in the V6 models will not likely spread over to the fours....at the moment, I don't see any reason to go back and test-drive a four in December.

Your review will be 95% the same... I don't think the extra 5% is worth it especially when "how much power is enough power" is so subjective anyway.
Old 10-16-09, 10:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Your review will be 95% the same... I don't think the extra 5% is worth it especially when "how much power is enough power" is so subjective anyway.

No, you're right......I wouldn't review the same car twice. Just the powertrain. And, with seemingly low CL interest, it may not be worth the bother.

But, by then (December), I'll be doing the annual Special Holiday review....and, I can almost guarantee you, it won't be a Buick.
Old 10-16-09, 10:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw, is the 4 cylinder engine the same one as your Saturn? If so you have provided good feedback on it based on long-term ownership, not a brief test drive.
Old 10-16-09, 10:31 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
It will be interesting to see if traditional Buick buyers will be interested in a 4 cyl. Maybe some non-traditonal buyers would look at it, but I question how many they will sell. It's good they are offering it at least.
Old 10-16-09, 11:09 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
btw, is the 4 cylinder engine the same one as your Saturn? If so you have provided good feedback on it based on long-term ownership, not a brief test drive.

Yep it's the same engine, although the LaCrosse's 2.4 will have direct injection. Mine does not. Direct injection on the 2.4 has shown to provide roughly a 10% boost in power and fuel economy. I really wish my Aura had it just because it'd be that much sweeter to get even better econ than it already gets while adding a little extra power.

I suspect the new LaCrosse despite the extra power will perform similarly to my Aura since it also weighs about 10-15% more than my Aura.
Old 10-16-09, 02:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yep it's the same engine, although the LaCrosse's 2.4 will have direct injection. Mine does not. Direct injection on the 2.4 has shown to provide roughly a 10% boost in power and fuel economy. I really wish my Aura had it just because it'd be that much sweeter to get even better econ than it already gets while adding a little extra power.

I suspect the new LaCrosse despite the extra power will perform similarly to my Aura since it also weighs about 10-15% more than my Aura.
I've driven several Auras (I can't remember if one was a hybrid or not), though I only actually wrote one up....some time ago. Of course, I don't have the benefit of owning one, as you do. The LaCrosse, as you note, is definitely a bigger, heavier car....you can tell the difference.

The 2.4L in your Saturn, unlike the original 1.9L of the 1990's, is not a unique Saturn-built engine (though you probably already know that). It is a corporate, generic 4-cylinder that is used in a number of small-to-mid-size GM sedans.