Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Sales Tactics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-09, 12:43 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
One bad apple = Every dealer?

Come on.
Agreed. This could happen anywhere.
Old 10-11-09, 12:51 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

This is not indicative of a car's makers sales tactics, more on one individual like so many trying to sell something these days. People are very finicky with their money as they should be and conducting more research before blowing cash in the manner they did just a couple of years ago.

That stated, car salespeople generally are not in tune with what they are even selling, it would be a pipe dream to expect them to have any pertinent knowledge on competitors vehicles.

Guy was trying to make a sale, your mom looked right through it, good for her.
Old 10-11-09, 12:52 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
The SRX does 0-60mph is 8.6 seconds.....pretty good engineering for a 2010 model year car
Isn't that with the 3.0L V6? The latter is a 2.8L Turbo V6, but I don't think its available yet. I'm sure the SRX would be running mid to high 7s then

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/...ion=Powertrain
Old 10-11-09, 01:14 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Popular Mechanics has a very short comparison between the two and went with the Lexus. The Cadi was a bit slow and an easy clone want to be of the RX. The Cadi did handle better.
Old 10-11-09, 02:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Tell your dad to listen to mom and seriously consider an RX. I think, in the long run, they will be far happier with it, for many reasons, than with an SRX.

As far as salespeople and auto marketers go, while there are some exceptions (and some honest, competent ones) here and there, in general, they are paid to be professional Bull-S**tters. That's their job.....to sell products with propaganda. They rank up with politicians and lawyers in the credibility of many of their statements. In fact, many of them go through special training courses on how to sway peoples' minds.

The courtesy and competence of salespeople also often varies by dealership....I notice this especially with BMW. Some BMW marketers are real aristocratic snobs, others are extremely friendly and amiable.

That's one of the reasons that me and Mike (1SICKLEX), by request, do auto reviews.....to try and get past the smokescreen, see what a car is really like, and to separate the fact from the fiction.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-11-09 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-11-09, 04:36 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Tell your dad to listen to mom and seriously consider an RX. I think, in the long run, they will be far happier with it, for many reasons, than with an SRX.
Easier said than done. Moving a mountain might be easier But we'll keep trying.

My mom was genuinely offended by this incident. The sales manager went out of his way to put the RX down. It would not have been as bad if what he said was actually true. She told him he was basically saying her opinion of the RX was wrong and she did not appreciate it. It didn't phase him. It was like he was programmed.

Well, I will be bringing my RX in for service Friday. There is a chance I might get a loaner. If I do, it might be time for mom and I to pay a visit to this sales manager in a 2010 RX to straighten his ignorant a$$ out. Mom is looking forward to putting him in his place
Old 10-11-09, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Easier said than done. Moving a mountain might be easier But we'll keep trying.

My mom was genuinely offended by this incident. The sales manager went out of his way to put the RX down. It would not have been as bad if what he said was actually true. She told him he was basically saying her opinion of the RX was wrong and she did not appreciate it. It didn't phase him. It was like he was programmed.

Well, I will be bringing my RX in for service Friday. There is a chance I might get a loaner. If I do, it might be time for mom and I to pay a visit to this sales manager in a 2010 RX to straighten his ignorant a$$ out. Mom is looking forward to putting him in his place
OK.....good luck. Has your dad driven a new RX? Let him try one out, see how well-built, silky-smooth and quiet it is (although the new suspension this year is not particularly soft) and chances are that it might sell itself.
Old 10-11-09, 06:38 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK.....good luck. Has your dad driven a new RX? Let him try one out, see how well-built, silky-smooth and quiet it is (although the new suspension this year is not particularly soft) and chances are that it might sell itself.
Mom drove it, he was in the back. I thought he was interested but I should mention they had a 2001 RX300 years ago which he didn't like.

The other car in the mix is the MKS. I read your review and, based on what you said, know they won't be happy with it. Maybe I'll give my sales guy a call tomorrow to see what he has in stock.
Old 10-11-09, 07:36 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My experience with Lexus dealers is that they are respectful of competitors such as Mercedes and BMW. I've mentioned on this board the experience of having an Audi sales manager deride Lexus for having a parent company. Also I was at an Acura event where a salesman gave a speech in which he specifically called out Mercedes, BMW, and Lexus and tried to put down each. However, definitely it varies from person to person, and there may be some that are more respectful than others.

IMO, they needed not make misleading statements about the RX, just to get an SRX sale. If the product is (they feel) good enough, it should sell on its merits.
Old 10-12-09, 03:59 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by encore888
IMO, they needed not make misleading statements about the RX, just to get an SRX sale. If the product is (they feel) good enough, it should sell on its merits.
Exactly! And don't insult your customers.

Maybe I'm jaded having been with Lexus for the past 11 years but damn, I would not have expected such low class behavior from a higher end dealer. This goes beyond the pompous attitude found at some places.
Old 10-13-09, 08:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
Mom drove it, he was in the back. I thought he was interested but I should mention they had a 2001 RX300 years ago which he didn't like.
Seriously, can you blame your dad for not wanting to drive around in a chick's car? Opps, you drive a RX too
Not to offend you in anyway, but the day I own a RX, I might as well own a minvan.
Old 10-13-09, 09:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't believe this went down but it makes for an interesting read none the less.
Old 10-13-09, 09:12 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
Seriously, can you blame your dad for not wanting to drive around in a chick's car? Opps, you drive a RX too
Not to offend you in anyway, but the day I own a RX, I might as well own a minvan.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I don't believe this went down but it makes for an interesting read none the less.
Thanks for the contributions to this thread you two.

Old 10-13-09, 03:19 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm not sure that this is an individual salesman's issue. I was in a waiting room last month (not Cadillac) and got to overhear the "how to sell this model" presentation from one of the factory guys to the local sales guys. There was more BS in the presentation than I could stand! He even covered the weak points of his product and how to deflect customer's questions by slamming the other brands. He even gave them "cheat sheets" on the sales points. I assume that this kind of approach is the official factory position.

I have never run across a Lexus sales person that used a similar approach. Maybe I'm just lucky, but I think that there is a different mindset at Lexus of North America.

I stopped to look at a Taurus SHO last week and the salesman did not know that the SHO existed and insisted that the SLE on the showroom floor was the top of the line and was the high performance version. He was hopeless, so I left without finding out whether they had a SHO or not.
Steve
Old 10-13-09, 04:44 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Originally Posted by The G Man
Ahem, you're in the RX forum. Wonder why. Tell me, how many guys with an RX in there? Huh? Huh? I think you're just jealous because we discovered the RX before you did

Last edited by kitlz; 10-13-09 at 04:51 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply: Cadillac Sales Tactics?