Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cadillac Sales Tactics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-09, 07:04 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts
Question Cadillac Sales Tactics?

So my parents are in the market for a new car to replace their SRX. The lease is up in a few days. Mom wants the RX, dad wants something other than . Anyway, they went to a Cadillac dealer today to check out the 2010 SRX and CTS wagon. The dealer has 75, yes 75, SRXs in stock because they have a special relationship with GM. This is triple the normal dealer allotment.

While they were there, mom starts talking to the sales manager. He tells her the RX is not a great car. She zaps him with "isn't that what the SRX is based on?" He agrees but then goes on to say the RX doesn't have the power liftgate ("it's manual") and there is a sticker in the rear door jamb warning that children should not ride in the second row seats. She tells him he can say whatever he wants, she likes the RX. And you can't change mom's mind

Is this what Cadillac has to do to sell their cars? How pathetic.
Old 10-10-09, 07:16 PM
LexFather

Sounds like a poor salesman+ an average product= bash the other vehicle.....

Old 10-10-09, 07:19 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 170 Likes on 144 Posts

It was the sales manager.
Old 10-10-09, 08:53 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Typical. Put other makes down even when it may not be accurate info. Poor job performance.
Old 10-10-09, 09:04 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Low class attempt at selling a car.

A good saleman/manager will acknowledge the validity of another make/model without disparaging it. It's just like any discussion about cars on here. True enthusiasts can see the positives of a vehicle regardless of brand.
Old 10-10-09, 09:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

I just think in general most sales people don't know other products outside of what they are selling. I love going to dealerships and correcting the sales people who attempt to tell me the specifications and are wrong lol
Old 10-10-09, 09:25 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate that, I've come across more then a few salesman who do nothing but bad mouth the competition and don't know the cars they are selling
Old 10-10-09, 09:55 PM
LexFather

Honestly most employees here are not passionate about the brand, its just a check. They go though some training on the new vehicle and the competition and probably fall asleep during it. Then a customer comes and they can't sell the car or teach employees how to sell the car, instead relying on stereotypes and negative tactics.

There is no doubt the RX is a tough car to beat in its segment. He should have explained the new interior, the new styling and whatever features the SRX offers.

What IS sad is the SRX is simply no RX beater. ITS THE PRODUCT STUPID. If the product it top notch or perceived as tops/near tops in class, it is an easier sell and you can easily point out why its a winner.

Old 10-10-09, 11:20 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I love when all the salesmen use this line:

"Trust me, I've worked with >insert brand name here< for several years and this car beats that one"

Don't trust these dudes, go online, do your homework from reviews, biased and unbiased, show the salesman you know what you're talking about and work the game.
Old 10-11-09, 01:05 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The SRX does 0-60mph is 8.6 seconds.....pretty good engineering for a 2010 model year car
Old 10-11-09, 08:28 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by kitlz
So my parents are in the market for a new car to replace their SRX. The lease is up in a few days. Mom wants the RX, dad wants something other than . Anyway, they went to a Cadillac dealer today to check out the 2010 SRX and CTS wagon. The dealer has 75, yes 75, SRXs in stock because they have a special relationship with GM. This is triple the normal dealer allotment.

While they were there, mom starts talking to the sales manager. He tells her the RX is not a great car. She zaps him with "isn't that what the SRX is based on?" He agrees but then goes on to say the RX doesn't have the power liftgate ("it's manual") and there is a sticker in the rear door jamb warning that children should not ride in the second row seats. She tells him he can say whatever he wants, she likes the RX. And you can't change mom's mind

Don't blame Caddy as a whole. The salesman is either a moron or an a$$hat, or both. All makes get someone in the network like that. You can only hope that the get weeded out, and don't last long.
Old 10-11-09, 08:29 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It was the sales manager.
Wow--holy shiite! That's messed up. I'd call him an idiot, walk out, and write a message to corporate about that.
Old 10-11-09, 08:41 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by <VENOM>
I hate that, I've come across more then a few salesman who do nothing but bad mouth the competition and don't know the cars they are selling
Yeah, my experience with BMW is that they respect their competition. Their method of selling is to highlight what makes a BMW better than the others.
Old 10-11-09, 10:22 AM
Baby ///M3
Lexus Champion

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

This is probably more attributable to the salesman himself than to Cadillac as a manufacturer.

When I went to a prominent Lexus dealership to shop here in So. Cali for a new car, I asked the salesman about BMWs and his reply was, "What? BMW still makes cars?".

Go figure.

My family bought a new Cadillac from Bewley Allen Cadillac in Alhambra 19 years ago (we still have this car) and if they have not changed the way they serve its customers 19 years ago, no other Mercedes/BMW/Lexus dealership we take our cars to nowadays has a comparable service.

Jon

Old 10-11-09, 11:32 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

One bad apple = Every dealer?

Come on.

Quick Reply: Cadillac Sales Tactics?