Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 auto companies in global sales

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 11:47 AM
FinalBurst
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TWong1200
Hyundai has really been doing well. It's quite impressive. Does the VW numbers include Audi sales?
I believe so.

I didn't know that Renault and Nissan posted their sales separately.
Old 10-12-09, 03:57 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
What helps Hyundai is they have the cheapest lower line of vehicles and always offering rebates on the lower line which helps salesbut cuts into the profit margin.
That would be why Hyundai is doing so well during this recession, people are looking for economy cars. If you looking at those 2 charts in previous post, you will see that Hyundai's average car cost = gross income for 2008 divided by the unit produce equals to $17450 per car. Whereas VW's car comes out to $26560 per umit. Quite a different on the cost of each companies average car, of course the VW's numbers includes the Audi line.
Old 10-12-09, 07:56 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

hyundai is 4th in 2009 so far.
Old 10-12-09, 08:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
That would be why Hyundai is doing so well during this recession, people are looking for economy cars. If you looking at those 2 charts in previous post, you will see that Hyundai's average car cost = gross income for 2008 divided by the unit produce equals to $17450 per car. Whereas VW's car comes out to $26560 per umit. Quite a different on the cost of each companies average car, of course the VW's numbers includes the Audi line.
You cannot do the math like that at all..

1. Hyundai figures include cheaper Kia
2. VW numbers include more expensive Audi.

So it is not even close to being fair to try to compare transaction prices.

Old 10-13-09, 05:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joe80
hyundai is 4th in 2009 so far.
I see Hyundai just pass Ford, I dont think Ford will ever see 4th place again. Also take a look at the top three, it is between Toyota, VW and GM, and we all know GM is on its way down, so the two heavies left are Toyota and VM.
Old 10-13-09, 01:29 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

VW's small US sales footprint shielded them from the tanking market last Fall and earlier this year. That's why you have Toyota hemorrhaging cash, revenues and sales volume relative to VW who saw all small declines. The analyst consensus is that the Volkswagen Group easily rode the recession out in the best position among their peers and is actually emerging stronger, having increased their market share in virtually every market around the world.
Old 10-13-09, 03:11 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
VW's small US sales footprint shielded them from the tanking market last Fall and earlier this year. That's why you have Toyota hemorrhaging cash, revenues and sales volume relative to VW who saw all small declines. The analyst consensus is that the Volkswagen Group easily rode the recession out in the best position among their peers and is actually emerging stronger, having increased their market share in virtually every market around the world.
Toyota spent HUGE amounts of money on future product and R&D leading up to, and right before the recession. Even now during the recession, Toyota spent a considerable amount of on R&D. Once the economy picks up, Toyota will emerge in a very strong position as well. In the next few years, we will see the result of all that spending in terms of future product.
Old 10-14-09, 06:03 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Toyota spent HUGE amounts of money on future product and R&D leading up to, and right before the recession. Even now during the recession, Toyota spent a considerable amount of on R&D. Once the economy picks up, Toyota will emerge in a very strong position as well. In the next few years, we will see the result of all that spending in terms of future product.
You can say thats a make or break situation, if those R&D investment pays off, they will emerge from the recession in good shape. If those R&D projects turns out to be a flop, then they would have dug themself a deep hole. As GM have already learn, when you are #1, each mistake cost you a lot more than when you were just small peanuts.
Old 10-14-09, 08:22 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
You can say thats a make or break situation, if those R&D investment pays off, they will emerge from the recession in good shape. If those R&D projects turns out to be a flop, then they would have dug themself a deep hole. As GM have already learn, when you are #1, each mistake cost you a lot more than when you were just small peanuts.
Please tell me, how often do Toyota's R&D projects turn out to be a flop ? You can say this about any automaker. This really has nothing to do with anything. GM had more models back in the day, and spent less R&D money *per project* than Toyota has done. Also the chances of an R&D project being a flop is less likely since Toyota has a clear and focused leader in charge.
Old 10-14-09, 10:08 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

The first rule of R&D with any organization is that there is never any sort of firm guarantee that the spending will translate into revenues. I don't care who you are, (VW, Toyota, Microsoft, Samsung), there is absolutely no reason to believe that every dollar put into R&D pays off in the end.
Old 10-14-09, 10:13 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FKL
The first rule of R&D with any organization is that there is never any sort of firm guarantee that the spending will translate into revenues. I don't care who you are, (VW, Toyota, Microsoft, Samsung), there is absolutely no reason to believe that every dollar put into R&D pays off in the end.
100% agree.

However, what I would like to add is that if you don't spend any money on R&D then it is GUARANTEED that nothing will pay off at the end.

I rather achieve 70% efficiency while doing something than achieve 100% efficiency while doing nothing.
Old 10-14-09, 10:28 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
We don't live in a black and white world. You're talking in absolutes, and real life is never like that. Obviously every dollar put into R&D does not pay off in the end, but neither does the opposite happen. Even when an R&D project is a flop, it does not mean every dollar spent on the project amounted to nothing.

Going back to the earlier point, I do not see at all how this is going to "make or break" Toyota, based on G Man's baiting post.
Old 10-14-09, 10:30 AM
LexFather

Well Toyota doesn't have off brands like Skoda and Seat to sell cars using old platforms and technology at a lesser price point.
Scion is its own brand and sells in very small quantities.

Old 10-14-09, 10:33 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
We don't live in a black and white world. You're talking in absolutes, and real life is never like that. Obviously every dollar put into R&D does not pay off in the end, but neither does the opposite happen. Even when an R&D project is a flop, it does not mean every dollar spent on the project amounted to nothing.

Going back to the earlier point, I do not see at all how this is going to "make or break" Toyota, based on G Man's baiting post.
Answer your own question and tell me how often "Toyota's R&D" expenditures turn into a flop. The reality is you have no way of knowing this figure.

To again touch on your first point, massive R&D spending guarantees nothing, and certainly doesn't guarantee that Toyota will "undoubtedly" turn around their finances.
Old 10-14-09, 10:38 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

How could VW gain sales while being so unreliable? I have no idea.
But as the saying goes, 'their is a sucker born everyday'

Quick Reply: Top 10 auto companies in global sales