Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: About the article?
I am under 25 and agree the youth don't like cars as much
10.81%
I am over 25 and agree the youth don't like cars as much
21.62%
I am under 25 and disagree
35.14%
I am over 25 and disagree
32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LA Times: American young people disenchanted with cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 12:17 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
Aren't the Japanese doesn't have cars due to parking space, messy roads and the perfect transportation network system?
Perhaps

I guess it's like in Hong Kong as well. Places like Aberdeen or TST are trying to limit automobile population due to congestion and whatnot (parking space availability and pricing is a *****).

Yet go father to areas such as Yuen Long or Sai Kung welcome the presence of cars and parking space is abundant. It isn't as congested as the mainland areas so that's why it's more car-friendly over there.

Old 10-14-09, 06:23 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 94lex83457
As a 21 year old I can fully attest to the accuracy of this article. Granted, I come from an area of the country that is the least car friendly but I know of only a handful of car enthusiasts. Many only see cars as a something that gets them from point A to point B. Certainly some will recognize a badge or make a comment that something looks nice but most couldn't differentiate a Mazda from a Maserati. It certainly doesn't help that many of us have never known < 99 cent a gallon gas; we have grown up in an age of huge price swings and have seen it go for as much as $4.50 a gallon. Couple this with a recession and it is of little wonder that the automobile is losing its luster.

But one of the saddest and strangest trends is that when you find a person who is into automobiles it is usually Trucks and SUVs. Up here you can't pull girls with cars. Girls and women now a days seem to gravitate to guys with lifted jeeps, 4Runners or pickups. Bikes however, still have their charm and are your best bet if that is what you are interested in.

MMarshall: yes, students are being taught that cars and trucks are hugely responsible for global warming and this does create the attitude (unfortunately) that being green is cooler than having a nice ride. However, you cannon pin it on Arianna Huffington and Joan Claybrook. I dare you to go into any high school and ask who these women are and I guarantee +90% will have no idea who you are talking about.
Totally agree with this point of view you presented

Though, being here in the Philippines for past 2-3 years, IMO the Car is still an ultimate symbol status.. Easily a chick magnet here, I'm sure Blackraven can vouch for this one as well