Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: About the article?
I am under 25 and agree the youth don't like cars as much
10.81%
I am over 25 and agree the youth don't like cars as much
21.62%
I am under 25 and disagree
35.14%
I am over 25 and disagree
32.43%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LA Times: American young people disenchanted with cars?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 08:24 AM
LexFather

Question LA Times: American young people disenchanted with cars?

http://latimesblogs.latimes.co....html

Is the love affair between cars and young people starting to cool?

That could be the case, according to a new study of auto-related online commentary among teens and young adults by J.D. Power and Associates.

James Dean Between January and August, the market research firm analyzed hundreds of thousands of “conversations” on auto-related sites such as Autoblog, personal blogs and social networks such as Twitter and Facebook.

The goal was to gauge the perceptions of Generation Y (those born in the 1980s and early 1990s) toward the automotive industry in general, as well as toward specific vehicle brands. The analysis divided Gen Y into teens (12-18) and “early careerists” (22-29).

According to J.D. Power, “Online discussions by teens indicate shifts in perceptions regarding the necessity of and desire to have cars.”

American teenagers without a set of wheels? James Dean, who drove a '49 Mercury to fame in the 1955 movie "Rebel Without a Cause," must be spinning in his grave.

Part of the reason could be economic, the firm said. During the worst recession since the 1930s, the cost of owning and maintaining a car likely makes less sense than it did when gas was 30 cents a gallon and every red-blooded American teenager yearned for a Chevy Camaro or a Pontiac GTO.

“Also, with the advent of social media and other forms of electronic communities, teens perceive less of a need to physically congregate, and less of a need for a mode of transportation,” the study concluded.

That can’t be good news for the auto industry.

“The negative perceptions of the automotive industry that teens and early careerists hold could have implications on future vehicle sales,” said Chance Parker, vice president and general manager of J.D. Power and Associates Web Intelligence Division.

“Generation Y could have the greatest spending power of any generation — even surpassing that of the Baby Boomers. It will be essential for automakers to earn the trust and loyalty of Gen-Y consumers, who are particularly critical of brands and products.”

In Japan, the first major developed country to actually experience a decline in car ownership, disinterest among young people in owning cars — especially in urban areas such as Tokyo — is cited as one of the factors behind “demotorization.”

The trend is already having a serious impact on the Japanese auto industry, and poses a threat to car-dependent businesses such as restaurants and retail establishments located away from public transportation lines.

Of course, there’s always China. A J.D. Power analyst told USA Today a few months back that China’s 1.3 billion people “are simply wild about cars.” Back in January, monthly auto sales in China surpassed those in the United States for the first time ever.

U.S., Japanese and other automakers increasingly have been looking to China for sales growth, although the nation is also rapidly developing its own homegrown stable of car companies.

-- Martin Zimmerman

Old 10-12-09, 09:29 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think youth are more obsessed with their image associated with the car and not what the car is. For example, how many youth want Mustangs or Wranglers? Alot. In reality, both feature long dated technology and I, who consider myself a car enthusiast, find these two particular vehicles in question cheesy. ...well not the Shelby GT of course.
Old 10-12-09, 10:06 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For most younger people, cars (along with the newest electronic gadgets) are the ultimate status symbol. It's the biggest purchase they've ever had in their lives. They will still want to drive the car that best "fits" them as they evolve and mature.

I think the economy has a lot to do with desirability. The ideology of owning a car goes from enthusiasts' wants to functional needs. Younger people still want their "bling" cars, but they are unable to afford the more expensive ones.

For older adults, a house and financial nest egg are more important. Yes, an emotional car purchase is still possible, but functionality beats any enthusiasts' desires.
Old 10-12-09, 11:43 AM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

personally I think it's mainly the countries that give a rat's *** about the environment that love the cars less. Look at China, don't care about the environment, car crazy.

Here in the US it's becoming very cool to be "carbon neutral" and "green", hence the sentiment.

That study didn't factor that in. Just because we have electronic devices doesn't mean we still don't get together and party it up. You can't exactly boogie down with your friends over facebook.
Old 10-12-09, 12:50 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It definitely seems like that to me but I'm not sure how much of that is reality and how much is just my perspective. I'm still a car nerd but I definitely don't get butterflies in my stomach anymore when I see a car I like. Thinking of mods or project cars doesn't keep me up at night. So it may be one of those things where I just don't notice people taking interest in cars as much anymore because I don't, either. I mean hell I'm going from a 335i to an Aura and I'm not nearly as upset about that fact as I would have been 5 or 10 years ago (I'm 27 now).

I get some compliments on my 335i but most people just seem to like it because it's a BMW... hardly anyone knows it's a twin turbo or anything else about it.
Old 10-12-09, 01:15 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

neat article. there are a lot of young people that know every single app on their iphone that cant even check the oil on their car
Old 10-12-09, 03:20 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most younger people I know still love cars. Where I'm from for half the Island a car is a must have as public transportation is not that great and who wants to walk a mile to the bus stop anyway. Plus, if you work at night or the overnight shift a car is your only option.
Old 10-12-09, 03:25 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Im a teen (well, my last year as a teen) and I stil have an obsession with cars, not like most my age who just like cars. Family thinks im nuts and a Lexus freak. lol
I love my 2GS

but it kind of seems like some dont care where I go to school, to them its just a car..maby thats why im getting so many damn door dings.

Last edited by Anthony; 10-12-09 at 03:30 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 03:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Of course, there’s always China. A J.D. Power analyst told USA Today a few months back that China’s 1.3 billion people “are simply wild about cars.” Back in January, monthly auto sales in China surpassed those in the United States for the first time ever.

And guess what the prestige brand is in China, and the most sought-after car?

Yep.

Old 10-12-09, 03:43 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Is the love affair between cars and young people starting to cool?

That could be the case, according to a new study of auto-related online commentary among teens and young adults by J.D. Power and Associates.

According to J.D. Power, “Online discussions by teens indicate shifts in perceptions regarding the necessity of and desire to have cars.”

“The negative perceptions of the automotive industry that teens and early careerists hold could have implications on future vehicle sales,” said Chance Parker, vice president and general manager of J.D. Power and Associates Web Intelligence Division.

Part of this may be the constant bombardment of left-wing politics that kids get in public schools nowadays, from anti-car (and especially anti-SUV) stuff from people like Arianna Huffington and Joan Claybrook. The traditional gas-powered vehicle is increasingly being taught, in schools, as a machine that is destroying the environment, contributing to climate change, and robbing the earth of precious natural resources.

Also, perhaps some kids see what happens when their own classmates go out drag-racing on Friday nights and get hurt or killed (often in Mustangs). That doesn't do a lot of good for the image either.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-12-09 at 08:01 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 04:12 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

In CA a teen can't drive people under 18 until they are 18. That cuts down on car enthusiasim if your friends can't ride with you until you are out of high school
Old 10-12-09, 07:11 PM
amdave
Driver

I used to dream of a 3 series or M3 in my younger days. After I hit 30, my desire started to wane, now, at 33, when I could afford either - I have no desire to buy one.

Frankly, it is kind of weird. I don't get it, but it certainly not about environment etc. since I don't think global warming is real. Perhaps people just outgrow the car phase eventually.
Old 10-12-09, 07:59 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Part of this may be the constant bombardment of left-wing politics that kids get in public schools nowadays, from anti-car (and especially anti-SUV) stuff from people like Arianna Huffinton and Joan Claybrook. The traditional gas-powered vehicle is increasingly being taught, in schools, as a machine that is destroying the environment, contributing to climate change, and robbing the earth of precious natural resources.
There is no denying this, cars are being attacked on all fronts from the greenies, who just will never get it, but to be really green means not to have any kind of enjoyment from cars. It is a shame because, a car in one word just represents- freedom.

Another effect is that young people have moved on to the next big big thing, at one time in the first part of the decade for young people it was all about "Fast and Furious" and import cars and lifestyle. This industry has really suffered, with shows and events being canceled, and popular import car magazines disappearing.( sport compact car, turbo)
Old 10-12-09, 08:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I think youth are more obsessed with their image associated with the car and not what the car is.
Yes......exactly. This is why I deal so much, in my posts and reviews, not with a car's "image" (or stereotype), but an accurate description of the car you are actually getting for your money.

And, with some young people, it's not a disenchantment with cars so much as it is with cars the way they come from the factory. I notice the huge amount of money that so many young people spend in "modding" their cars.....wheels, tires, computer chips, tinted glass, revised headlights, taillights, grille, etc.....in some cases, for those who have newer cars, voiding their warranties in the process.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-12-09 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-13-09, 02:53 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something a bit relevant:
In JDM land, automakers there are struggling with how to sell automobiles to today's Japanese youth who are a bit embarrassed to even own an automobile.

I guess abundance in public transportation there has something to do with that (save for a few areas in Hokkaido which are only accessible by road vehicles).

Dunno but local automakers are scrambling to make their vehicle appeal to a newer generation of Japanese people......

Quick Reply: LA Times: American young people disenchanted with cars?