Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

what your car says about you...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 07:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,635 Posts
Talking what your car says about you...

... Porsches smack of success. Hondas preach practicality. And, according to a recent report, Chevys proudly proclaim of their owners, "I don't use the Internet."...
lol. more here...

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/auto...ays-about-you/
Old 10-12-09, 07:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I don't want to sound rude or contemptuous here, but I read the entire article, and wasn't particularly impressed with it. Much of it, IMO, seems to be based on a bunch of stereotypes, some inaccurate ones at that, and what the authors THINK they pieced together with their "research".

I'm not convinced that marketers and planners can predict this stuff. There are just too many variables in the auto-buying buisness. That's why some vehicles succeed, and others don't.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-12-09 at 07:59 PM.
Old 10-12-09, 07:58 PM
LexFather

bit here is the actual article....from Forbes..

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/06/car...ner=yahooautos

Lexus

Lexus owners are wealthy and well educated. A full 71% boast a college degree, by far the highest rate of Toyota's three brands (the flagship brand's rate is 60%; the youth-focused Scion's rate is 50%). With a median age of 56 and a marriage rate of 75%, most Lexus owners are settled down.

Scion
© ERIC THAYER / Reuters
Supercar Test Drive
Behind the wheel of the $1.2 million Koenigsegg CCXR.

Scion

With a median age of 37, Toyota's youth-targeted brand has a very youthful owner base indeed. In terms of individual models, the Scion tC coupe has the youngest median buyer age in the industry: 25. The brand also brings a lot of first-time buyers to Toyota's fold--as was intended by the company. "One of Scion's main goals is to bring new buyers to our company," says Toyota's Greg Thome. "With 76% of buyers being new, it accomplishes that goal."

Toyota

A quintessential family brand, one in four Toyotas belongs to a household with children under age 18. The median age of owners is 55; 70% are married. Though 60% of Toyota owners have a college degree, that's slightly less than the 71% rate of the company's Lexus line.

Old 10-12-09, 08:15 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

car tells a lot about the owner...car let people know if owner is flashy, conservative, used to have money now im broke, gettin money right now, etc..usually im right about person by their cars..
Old 10-12-09, 08:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
A quintessential family brand, one in four Toyotas belongs to a household with children under age 18.
Part of the reason for this, IMO, is that neither Scion or Lexus offer a minivan, leaving the Toyota Sienna (and in the JDM, the Previa) to be the standard-bearers. The Camry, of course, is also hugely popular with smaller families.
Old 10-12-09, 08:27 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
bit here is the actual article....from Forbes..

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/06/car...ner=yahooautos
Surprising because it's Forbes.com but twice in a row that page tried to install java-based malware on my machine after I tried to click the 'next' button to go to the next car. It wasn't a false positive either... it was definitely trying to install Antivirus 2009 or some equivalent malware. My machine is otherwise clean so it's definitely Forbes.com or one of the ad servers pushing from their site.
Old 10-12-09, 09:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Lexus

Lexus owners are wealthy and well educated. A full 71% boast a college degree, by far the highest rate of Toyota's three brands (the flagship brand's rate is 60%; the youth-focused Scion's rate is 50%). With a median age of 56 and a marriage rate of 75%, most Lexus owners are settled down.

I have to say it makes a lot of sense
Old 10-13-09, 01:34 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting, and a big contrast with some of the domestic brands on there, with a markedly different buyer education level. Toyota = families with children is exactly correct!
Old 10-13-09, 05:57 PM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What my cars say about me...hmmmm.
Corvette C6: I like a modded C6 Vette.
Lexus GS400: I like a modded GS400.
Dodge Stealth R/T TT: You guessed it; I like a modded R/T TT.
Old 10-13-09, 06:47 PM
SurfsUP
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, what about the people with multiple cars?

Do we suffer from multi-personalities?
Old 10-13-09, 07:14 PM
legit
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Threxx
Surprising because it's Forbes.com but twice in a row that page tried to install java-based malware on my machine after I tried to click the 'next' button to go to the next car. It wasn't a false positive either... it was definitely trying to install Antivirus 2009 or some equivalent malware. My machine is otherwise clean so it's definitely Forbes.com or one of the ad servers pushing from their site.
Hmm, I'm not getting it even with adblock disabled. It doesn't trigger either Avira or PrevX.

It could very well be a hit-and-run type of thing, change the ad content over to malware for a few minutes so Forbes doesn't catch on and change it back.

But I'd check over your system just to be sure. That AV stuff is nasty(or rather, annoying) once it's manifested itself.
Old 10-13-09, 08:26 PM
muhbuhtuh
Lexus Champion

im 37 years under the median age hehe
Old 10-13-09, 08:42 PM
PHXSC
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 75% of a college degree, and about a 70% marriage, so I guess that's why I have both a Lexus and Toyota
Old 10-13-09, 10:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am under the average age as well, but I am happily married and a college/graduate degree
Old 10-20-09, 09:02 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought about this a bit more and have serious doubts about the credibility of this survey. The US population over 25 with college degrees is under 30%. So how is Chevy bringing up the rear with 35%, which is still well above the US average? These numbers don't add up at all. Especially considering they probably surveyed all drivers and not just those 25 and up, which would cause the average to drop even more.

This makes me question the validity of the rest of the survey.

Quick Reply: what your car says about you...