Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why the Corvette's days are numbered

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 09:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I fully expect Vettes to continue to have V8's in our lifetimes. Having fewer cylinders isn't the solution to fuel economy, smaller displacement advanced technology V8's might be in the cards.
Maybe so. Corvettes have already had to downsize their V8s at least once, to the ubiquitous 5.7L (350 cu. in.) I'm sure you remember the big triple-deuce 427s and 454's from the late 60's. I'm not sure you can get more power, though, from a smaller, normally-aspirated V8 than from a well-turbo'ed V6. Ford's 350 HP Ecotec, with 355 ft-lbs. of torque, is a good example........that's about what Corvettes were running for a number of years in the 1990's. The top ZR-1 Corvette of that period had about 375 HP.
Old 01-03-10, 09:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Maybe so. Corvettes have already had to downsize their V8s at least once, to the ubiquitous 5.7L (350 cu. in.) I'm sure you remember the big triple-deuce 427s and 454's from the late 60's. I'm not sure you can get more power, though, from a smaller, normally-aspirated V8 than from a well-turbo'ed V6. Ford's 350 HP Ecotec, with 355 ft-lbs. of torque, is a good example........that's about what Corvettes were running for a number of years in the 1990's. The top ZR-1 Corvette of that period had about 375 HP.
Maybe so, they may need to recognize it's 2010 eventually.
Old 01-04-10, 05:34 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
So, for less than 60K, you can buy a Grand Sport that will outpace the Audi R8, the Lotus Exige, the BMW M3, both the Cayman S and the 911 Carrera S, the Jag XKR, as well as a host of lesser lights."
The problem with the Vette have never been the price, its always been about the quality. If only GM can raise the price by $10000 and make a quality vehicle, that would be a improvment.
Old 01-04-10, 05:43 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
The problem with the Vette have never been the price, its always been about the quality. If only GM can raise the price by $10000 and make a quality vehicle, that would be a improvment.
That's not my quote.
The Vette isn't that bad when it comes to quality.Not great but really not bad.Like most sporty cars,it has some issues and not a car I would use as a daily driver.
The knock on the car is the interior quality.Very GM and cheap.
The vette is selling under $40K now.A great value for it's look and performance.
Old 01-04-10, 05:48 AM
AMAlex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think the Vette is that bad at all. IMO it's a nice sporty car that does what I want it to... Go fast. I wouldn't use it as a daily driver mainly because of space availability.
Old 01-04-10, 10:53 AM
I6turbo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Putting such an engine in such a small car beats the purpose of having a small and nimble Miata or RX7.
I don't think that's true on the RX7. The total weight and weight distribution are about the same with the stock rotary/transmission vs. an aluminum LS engine and 6-speed. And the power output from the LS is much more easily modulated, and with a much higher limit if one wanted to extract it.
Old 01-04-10, 04:42 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Arcreave
Every car goes fast now. You need the style, reliability, and refinement as well.
Originally Posted by The G Man
still the best bang for the buck out there!!! PERIOD!!!

I've had ZERO issues with my C6
I've had ZERO rattles with my C6 (my IS350 rattled more, my Prius has lotsa rattles...well known)
Maintenance is very reasonable...like a normal car...no $5000 brake jobs...no $300 oil changes...no tranny fluid change every 5000 miles.

Americans should take MORE pride in this wonderful machine and stop dissing it so much!!!

Last edited by bagwell; 01-04-10 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 05:01 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
still the best bang for the buck out there!!! PERIOD!!!

I've had ZERO issues with my C6
I've had ZERO rattles with my C6 (my IS350 rattled more, my Prius has lotsa rattles...well known)
Maintenance is very reasonable...like a normal car...no $5000 brake jobs...no $300 oil changes...no tranny fluid change every 5000 miles.

Americans should take MORE pride in this wonderful machine and stop dissing it so much!!!
AMEN you can have the garbage LFA that maybe 5 people will ever own and definitely no one on this forum will ever own give me a mans car a Corvette! Affordable, realistic, practical!

Making a car like the Corvette is a true engineering marvel. When will car companies learn. Make a car that the masses can buy that's as good as the Ferrari and Porsche. That's innovation and engineering!

Last edited by lexmenow; 01-04-10 at 05:05 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 06:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The vette is the performance deal of the century after the GTR but the interior is shabby at best ( I am being kind). I read an article to day that said that for the first time in 9 years they are taking the vette off the top 10 list because the interior is so poorly made and the materials are shabby. They even went so far as to say the upgraded interior still looks sub par for a 50k car and they charge additional for it.

The vette is awesome but at the low price they are charging the could add another 4 k to the sticker and give me better materials for everything on the inside of the car. The steering wheel looks like it came off the cobalt

Also a roof that doesnt get ripped off by the wind at 140 mph would help
Old 01-04-10, 06:16 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Would agree, the budget interior is a real turnoff. But then, people do not buy the Vette for luxury or interior creature comfort. Though most owners barely use the car for it's intended purpose so one has to wonder why they would even buy it. Perhaps to just look good.
Old 01-04-10, 07:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Would agree, the budget interior is a real turnoff. But then, people do not buy the Vette for luxury or interior creature comfort. Though most owners barely use the car for it's intended purpose so one has to wonder why they would even buy it. Perhaps to just look good.
oh please....I guess you guys have never sat in a Lotus Exige...??

vette interior is fine for me....4LT is now full leather

Old 01-04-10, 07:15 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I like Vettes but would never want to be in an accident in one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yoa8McfOY0
why are you posting a 1997 crash test...???

should I post a model T crash test too?
Old 01-04-10, 07:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

thanks for backing my opinion up. Look at how bad the console and steering wheel looks. The Lotus is a track car with street car clothes. The vette is a GT car. IMHO it should provide more comfort, style, quality, and class frankly

here is a shot of a Porsche Caymanns interior, and even the lowly G37
Attached Thumbnails Why the Corvette's days are numbered-porsche-cayman-s-sport-2009-interior-cockpit.jpg   Why the Corvette's days are numbered-112_0708_14z-2008_infiniti_g37-interior.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-04-10 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 07:47 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
why are you posting a 1997 crash test...???

should I post a model T crash test too?
Your being awfully defensive aren't you? First off, find me a newer crash test for the Corvette. The is your first assignment and produce the results here.

Secondlly, regardless if the interior is full leather or not is irrevelant. Looking at even those pictures you published only hurts your one man army even more so. The interior is CHEAP! Plain and simple.

We are not discussing the Lotus here, we are discussing the Corvette and the Corvette is not the only car to have a subpar interior so go ahead and post a few more examples. We are discussing the Vette! Capishe!

And if your were not so sensitive about it, you would see where I have defended the Vette as I like it, but I where I disagree with your is that I not not believe it is God's given choice to mankind the way you do. We ALL know now you own a Corvette, fine, good for you, but do not try to pretend it is something it is not.

So relax, chill out, and accept your car for what it is and what it is not.

Old 01-04-10, 07:47 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
thanks for backing my opinion up. Look at how bad the console and steering wheel looks. The Lotus is a track car with street car clothes. The vette is a GT car. IMHO it should provide more comfort, style, quality, and class frankly

here is a shot of a Porsche Caymanns interior, and even the lowly G37
G37 hahahhahahahhahaha....that's funny......

Cayman looks ok....but guess what -- I'll completely crush you at the track in every single category!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Why the Corvette's days are numbered