Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why the Corvette's days are numbered

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-10, 07:48 PM
LexFather

ARe we really going to beat up the Vette interior over and over, when everyone knows that is not its strong point!

I cannot believe what I am reading here. The Vette is one of the few vehicles anywhere to last for decades and be recognized worldwide. Its performance is still staggering and few can match it especially in regards to price/performance.

Funny but I find it acceptable for a ***** out sports car to have a pissy interior but it is NOT acceptable for a family sedan to have a pissy interior.

Originally Posted by bagwell
still the best bang for the buck out there!!! PERIOD!!!

I've had ZERO issues with my C6
I've had ZERO rattles with my C6 (my IS350 rattled more, my Prius has lotsa rattles...well known)
Maintenance is very reasonable...like a normal car...no $5000 brake jobs...no $300 oil changes...no tranny fluid change every 5000 miles.

Americans should take MORE pride in this wonderful machine and stop dissing it so much!!!
I have to apologize for some of our members who clearly would love the Vette if it was badged as an import.

Originally Posted by lexmenow
AMEN you can have the garbage LFA that maybe 5 people will ever own and definitely no one on this forum will ever own give me a mans car a Corvette! Affordable, realistic, practical!

Making a car like the Corvette is a true engineering marvel. When will car companies learn. Make a car that the masses can buy that's as good as the Ferrari and Porsche. That's innovation and engineering!
Nothing really innovative about making an engine bigger or adding super chargers. Thats just called common sense. I do give credit for the Vette keeping a relatively low weight.

Now sure why you had to bash the LFA here.

Old 01-04-10, 07:51 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
The is your first assignment and produce the results here.
you're seriosuly giving me "assignments"?? sorry, find it yourself...
Old 01-04-10, 07:56 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

you're seriosuly giving me "assignments"?? sorry, find it yourself...
Because one does not exist, that is why. The one I posted is the only one that I could locate. By all means if you can find a newer one, go for it. But based on your response, it appears your backing off that challenge.

And again, The Corvette is an awesome car. I am repeating myself here as a few people seem to have short term reading retention. But it does offer short-falls to many (not all).

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-04-10 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 08:05 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
ARe we really going to beat up the Vette interior over and over, when everyone knows that is not its strong point!
Actually, it appears that not everyone knows this.
I have a couple of OLD pics of my 87 black, need to dig them up. One thing that always stood out about that car-!$*%#^ those wheels are huge!

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-04-10 at 08:17 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 10:32 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

G37 hahahhahahahhahaha....that's funny......

Cayman looks ok....but guess what -- I'll completely crush you at the track in every single category!!!!!!
Nobody said the Vette isn't faster on the track. I agree with you. The fact still remain that the interior needs work. Oh yeah and yes the G37 interior looks nicer than the Vettes. Look how cheap the center stack on the console looks. Look how plane the plastics and contours of the materials are around the navigation screen. Looks like my moms accord. The Corvette is a great deal but they should really work on these few final points that have been losing them customers for years. The interior needs to come up above the 25k dollar sedans that GM stamps out. My wife sat in a vette and said " hell NO" upon sitting in the car. Her brother had a GM SUV and she said it looked just like the button in his car were being used in the Vette. They need to get their crap together. Just like with all American cars the manufacturer knows what they need to do to make their cars more appealing but are still dragging their feet in some areas....ie the Corvette interior. The vette would sell to many more customers here in the US and probably a few more in Europe if the just gave the car a more refined feel. Starting with the interior
Old 01-04-10, 10:33 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource
Senior Moderator

Received 4,082 Likes on 2,474 Posts

You're funny. I took the wife for a ride in my buddy's C6 Z06 and she was on the Chevrolet website look at them as soon as we got home. She's never even considered a domestic before.
Old 01-04-10, 11:23 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cayman looks ok....but guess what -- I'll completely crush you at the track in every single category!!!!!!
Uh. . .no.

6th place ZR1
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p...vette_zr1.html

1st place Cayman S
http://www.motortrend.com/features/p..._cayman_s.html

Nuff said.
Old 01-04-10, 11:26 PM
madoka
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
thanks for backing my opinion up. Look at how bad the console and steering wheel looks. The Lotus is a track car with street car clothes. The vette is a GT car. IMHO it should provide more comfort, style, quality, and class frankly

here is a shot of a Porsche Caymanns interior
I'm looking at my window sticker right now for my Cayman.

- Full leather $2,385
- PCM $3,110
- Sport Chrono Package Plus $1,320
- XM Radio $750
- Bluetooth Interface $695

You pay through the nose to make the Cayman's interior look half-way decent.
Old 01-04-10, 11:42 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

You get what you pay for. Thats a well known expression in the United States. They need to learn that at GM and raise the price of the Vette by 6-8% and put in an interior that a Porsche guy could live with.
Old 01-05-10, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Corvette can easily refine its interior at a reasonable cost and become a much more well rounded car. If Lexus can take a $30000 Camry and improve the interior and name it the Lexus ES350 for around $8000, so can the Corvette.

Last edited by The G Man; 01-05-10 at 05:44 AM.
Old 01-05-10, 05:55 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't feel the subpar interior really cost GM many sales.
The car's exterior style along with power and performance is why it sells.
There's no match for a Vette at the present $40K cost.
Old 01-05-10, 06:00 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by madoka

oh my god...Motor Trend......LOL

Today, the 2009 Corvette ZR1 officially stepped up the global war for Nürburgring supremacy, as General Motors development engineer Jim Mero drove a stock ZR1 around the Nürburgring in a time of 7:26.4. That's significantly faster than the 7:29 lap set by the Nissan GT-R. We can't wait to see what the rest of the world's supercar competitors are gonna do now to step up their game.

more interesting Nurburg times...

Old 01-05-10, 09:07 AM
madoka
Pole Position

oh my god...Motor Trend......LOL
Yes, because you, anonymous internet vette fanboi, know so much more about tracking cars to their limit than pro driver Randy Pobst.
Old 01-05-10, 09:19 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by madoka
Yes, because you, anonymous internet vette fanboi, know so much more about tracking cars to their limit than pro driver Randy Pobst.
awwwe, don't fret -- I'm just Go-ogling information that's available in black in white for all to see...sorry to burst your bubble
Old 01-05-10, 09:21 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,332 Likes on 1,419 Posts

Guys take the personal back and forth to PM.

Quick Reply: Why the Corvette's days are numbered