Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why the Corvette's days are numbered

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09, 04:19 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Are you familiar with the GT-R or better yet, the Bugatti Veyron?
I call your GTR and Veyron and raise you a Mclaren F1.
Old 10-14-09, 04:56 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I'd be at my buddy's dealership the very next morning with a briefcase full of cash for the ZR1.

The exotic dealerships would have to wait until the next day.
+1 except the exotics would wait a LOOOOONG time... then I'd get a Porsche Cayenne Turbo-S for "nasty" weather... whoops, did I just let something slip???

Are you familiar with the GT-R or better yet, the Bugatti Veyron?
Originally Posted by tofu_house
I call your GTR and Veyron and raise you a Mclaren F1.
I guess my comment about a ZR1 taking anything under $500K was selectively ignored ... and I've driven the AMs, 599s, SLRs, 911 turbos, etc. as well for the money, I'll still take the ZR1 and get a NICE beach condo in FL with the change... oh yeah, AND and a lake house here in WI instead of your Bugatti or McLaren .. oh yeah, I'd still run right in your rear-view mirror... I might even pass you
Old 10-14-09, 05:07 PM
loveslexus
The Dog Whisperer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup, totally agree.

Thats why I own a Dodge Viper, a real badass American car.
Old 10-14-09, 05:08 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

You probably shouldn't base your choices on performance alone, because in any case you will never be able to exploit these resources on public roads and taking such expensive cars to the track to exploit said resources is considered financial suicide in the exotics world.

Oh, and, perhaps you should do your research, because the 2009 Dodge Viper ACR is a full 4 seconds faster around the Nurburgring, and as far as I know that car is cheaper than the ZR1. The GT-R is only three tenths of a second behind the ZR1.
Old 10-14-09, 05:40 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

You probably shouldn't base your choices on performance alone, because in any case you will never be able to exploit these resources on public roads and taking such expensive cars to the track to exploit said resources is considered financial suicide in the exotics world.
That's why these threads become pure lunacy since you can't drive them on the street to but maybe 30% of their potential... and I would NEVER race my own on a course except maybe once just to see what it could do, I use the racing school cars... do you?

Oh, and, perhaps you should do your research, because the 2009 Dodge Viper ACR is a full 4 seconds faster around the Nurburgring, and as far as I know that car is cheaper than the ZR1. The GT-R is only three tenths of a second behind the ZR1.
Didn't know there would be a test... do you have the full results? temp? track conditions? Set-up? Who did the write-up? Was it verified? You must, so do post them... wait, sorry, I'm not a fan of the Viper, so I couldn't care less

And if you start quoting car magazine results...

BOT- STILL take the ZR1 over all of them

Last edited by rdgdawg; 10-14-09 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-14-09, 05:47 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

http://www.fastestlaps.com/track2.html

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?fID...3&viewThread=y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%BCrburgring_lap_times

There are no 'full' results around the Nurburgring other than the lap time itself. If you need full track temps and whatnot then I guess you can find it on the net, although I can't be arsed.
Old 10-14-09, 06:32 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

^^^Thread jack= WHO CARES???

Fully BOT... the Vette will live on!!!
Old 10-14-09, 08:20 PM
tofu_house
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
I guess my comment about a ZR1 taking anything under $500K was selectively ignored ... and I've driven the AMs, 599s, SLRs, 911 turbos, etc. as well for the money, I'll still take the ZR1 and get a NICE beach condo in FL with the change... oh yeah, AND and a lake house here in WI instead of your Bugatti or McLaren .. oh yeah, I'd still run right in your rear-view mirror... I might even pass you
Hahaha, obviously my comment was a joke.

But taking all things into consideration, anyone driving around in a Veyron or F1 can have a fleet of ZR1s, a beach condo in FL, a house in the Hamptons, a room just for their shoes and wipe their azz with chinese silk.

but agree with you... the vette will live on...
Old 10-14-09, 08:34 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I actually seriously considered purchasing another Corvette for WORK and keeping the Acura as the 4 door to take the kids to the park....... Why, because it is fun, it is fast, and gets great fuel mileage.
That stated, it just did not turn out that way ,but appreciate the Corvette none the less.

I reiterate though, and perhaps someone could start a poll, why do people hate this car so much. I mean, holy %^&*, it is absolutely hated more than just about any car out there. Check out youtube and other sources. And women? wow, really, most all of them despise the Corvette.
Is it because it does things so well (jealousy) , crap interior , GM-bailout, macho image, American made, established stereotypes (old fat white men drive them, though I have seen many Asians, women, etc behind the wheel), too low, 2 seats, ugly, etc......??????

Last edited by Pearlpower; 10-14-09 at 08:38 PM.
Old 10-15-09, 12:20 AM
GS wanted
Lexus Champion

^ ^ Most women that hate Corvettes hate them because when their ex divorced them they went out and bought a Vette.
Old 10-15-09, 12:23 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

I have always liked the C6 vettes, I think they look sexy and gorgeous, & I don't care what the stereotypes about this car may be ...
Old 10-15-09, 12:30 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GS wanted
^ ^ Most women that hate Corvettes hate them because when their ex divorced them they went out and bought a Vette.
HAHA, perhaps very true.
Old 10-15-09, 03:08 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tofu_house
Hahaha, obviously my comment was a joke.

But taking all things into consideration, anyone driving around in a Veyron or F1 can have a fleet of ZR1s, a beach condo in FL, a house in the Hamptons, a room just for their shoes and wipe their azz with chinese silk.

but agree with you... the vette will live on...
+1... and you got me there too!!!

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I actually seriously considered purchasing another Corvette for WORK and keeping the Acura as the 4 door to take the kids to the park....... Why, because it is fun, it is fast, and gets great fuel mileage.
That stated, it just did not turn out that way ,but appreciate the Corvette none the less.

I reiterate though, and perhaps someone could start a poll, why do people hate this car so much. I mean, holy %^&*, it is absolutely hated more than just about any car out there. Check out youtube and other sources. And women? wow, really, most all of them despise the Corvette.
Is it because it does things so well (jealousy) , crap interior , GM-bailout, macho image, American made, established stereotypes (old fat white men drive them, though I have seen many Asians, women, etc behind the wheel), too low, 2 seats, ugly, etc......??????
So true... for me, I am fan and at times not a fan because of the stereotypes, "hater" factor... then, I think about one from a purely driving perspective... heart quickens, then think of the mileage, DD factor, the STORAGE space, getting behind the wheel... and it makes sense again...
Old 10-15-09, 04:43 AM
LexFather

I've never noticed women hating the corvette. With 70% of corvettes sold being automatics i fond they like it.

Old 10-15-09, 06:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,462 Likes on 1,615 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Seriously, if any of you guys where to hit the lotto big, how many of you would run to the Ferrari dealership, and how many will even remember that Corvette exists?
i would not visit the ferrari or corvette dealerships.

Quick Reply: Why the Corvette's days are numbered