Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Why the Corvette's days are numbered

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-09, 07:40 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian
Senior Moderator

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts
Exclamation Why the Corvette's days are numbered

Before I begin, let me say that the following is not an attack on the people who buy Corvettes. They are good, clean, patriotic car lovers, and I think they should all be applauded for buying American.

I mean it from the bottom of my heart. Every barrel-chested baldy (sorry, retirees) and stripper (sorry, Bambi) who bought a Corvette recently deserves our respect and admiration for spending their hard-earned cash on America's sports car. God bless them all. I hope they enjoy their cars.

This column is not about them. It's about the Corvette itself, which sucks.

Truth is, I'm not really sure when it began to suck. I must have been watching my new Girls Gone Wild DVD and missed it, but it does suck and I think we should all be mortified by its suckiness.

Sure it performs incredibly well, but the Corvette as a relevant performance car has lost its way. Instead of being the everyman, all-American supercar it once was, the Vette has become too expensive, too extreme and too cheesy.

Chevy has blown it by allowing the Corvette's price and performance to get out of hand. And it continues to wrap the Vette in a dated package that is driving America's young car enthusiasts elsewhere. Do you realize that the base price of a new 2010 Corvette is $48,940? That's 50 grand for the cheapest Vette Chevy will sell you. The days of a kid graduating from college, getting a good job, saving up and buying a new Vette are long gone.

This is a problem.

But price is only part of the Corvette's demise. The sports car's image is another issue. Maybe it was all those butt-ugly Indy pace car editions over the years, or maybe it's the chrome wheels on the ZR1, but the Corvette's image is now more hillbilly than Beverly Hills, more Vegas than Victory Lane.

And it might be too late to save it. From where I sit, the Corvette has already been displaced as the attainable dream car for America's youth: displaced by the Infiniti G35 Coupe and the BMW M3 (E46). These two cars (and now their succeeding models, the G37 Coupe and the BMW M3 (E92)) are what the kids desire and aspire to. They've become "the Corvette" for the next generation of enthusiasts that have not yet hit the big four-o.

Sure they're slower than a C6, but they represent a far more modern and upscale interpretation of the everyday performance car. They represent what today's car lover wants: speed, style, quality and a nameplate that says he's successful and he knows what's cool. The Corvette just goes fast.

But these days everything goes fast. Guys realize they don't really need a car any faster than an E46 M3, which runs low 13s in the quarter-mile. Sure the C6 runs 12s but nobody really cares. These days, guys want a more balanced package.

And so the Corvette is being squeezed from the bottom by cars like the Infiniti, and it can't really compete with the upscale stuff (Porsche 911) because of its shoddy interior, questionable fit and finish and 1985 profile.

Unfortunate. The Corvette is one fine driving machine. Especially in Z06 and ZR1 trim. But I wouldn't buy one. Not unless I was the richest guy in Bowling Green. Or I owned a few Chevy dealerships. Or I was a stripper in Bowling Green and my sugar daddy owned a few Chevy dealerships. Otherwise I would ward off the Corvette like a sober night of karaoke, and I would do what every other well-educated cultured gentleman with taste and money does. I'd buy myself a Porsche 911. Make it a GT3.

And now to make matters worse, there's the Corvette Grand Sport, a new model recently reviewed by the great Dan Pund on this very Web site. It's basically a standard Vette that looks like a Z06. Market research must have showed GM's product planners that there's an untapped poser market. A big block of gold chainers clamoring for a slower, cheaper, inauthentic version of the Z06.

Come on, Chevy. Stop going in the wrong direction. Nobody ever asked you to make the Corvette the fastest car you could buy or the fastest car for the money. Nobody needs the Corvette to win Le Mans or pack 600-plus horsepower and cost over $100,000. Of course we want it to perform well, but we also need it to be affordable, insurable and durable. And we want it to be cool.

And today the C6 Corvette just isn't cool.

Come on GM, give us a Corvette we the people want today, not the Corvette you thought we wanted in 1989.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...hotopanel..2.*
Old 10-13-09, 07:50 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

the Corvette has already been displaced as the attainable dream car for America's youth: displaced by the Infiniti G35 Coupe and the BMW M3 (E46). These two cars (and now their succeeding models, the G37 Coupe and the BMW M3 (E92)) are what the kids desire and aspire to.
M3 more attainable than a vette ?
Old 10-13-09, 07:51 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahahaha great read, Although ive never thought of it, the author has a good point. Corvette has lost its way, but it is still an awesome performer... but id never buy one
Old 10-13-09, 08:01 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the few American cars I would buy. $50k for a very fast car that can handle oh and it won't rob you at the pump. How many cars can say all that?
Old 10-13-09, 08:08 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
M3 more attainable than a vette ?
Buying a Corvette is considered a hassle, around here at least. Buying an M3, for the same amount of money, is hassle-free. Most dealers have them on their lots, where-as the Chevy dealers often do not have Corvettes on their lots. For the same money, however, I would probably buy a GT-R.
Old 10-13-09, 08:10 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is ridiculous. What an unnecessarily dramatic title...

I thought about dissecting that post part by part and proving it wrong but realized that it would have been a waste.
Old 10-13-09, 08:23 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

That is the most retarded article I've read on here in a while.

What does the author want? $40K 'Vettes so every douchebag that wants to go fast can have one too when they graduate?

The Z06 and the ZR1 are two of the baddest cars on the road and offer, arguably, the best bang for the buck. The number of cars on the road that can handle these two is so small that it is limited to supercars and exotics....and yes, the GT R. The Corvette is one of the few cars that GM does very well with.

Last edited by CDNROCKIES; 10-13-09 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-13-09, 08:32 PM
malujerry
Lexus Test Driver

i agree with the article, not with title.... but the whole thing is very dramatic and it misses a big point - there are still plenty of people who do want it.

plus, the M3 is more money.
Old 10-13-09, 08:37 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I only agree on the price, but even a base Corvette by today's standards is a bargain at $50K. Can you even get a GTR or M3 for $50K?

What is he talking about out of hand performance? The goal should be to get the maximum performance out of the car given the budget. Its a Sports Car for crying out loud, not a luxury or economy car.
Old 10-13-09, 09:31 PM
Initial B
Lead Lap

he's obviously being dramatic in places, but the article does have a point. If I were looking for a performance car and had to choose between a Vette and a used M3, then the Vette loses - despite better performance - because of the interior quality, styling/packaging, image, etc. How many of you have sat in a C6? The seats - one of the most important things in a sports car - are a joke. Sadly, I'll probably never buy a Vette, even though I like the new ones, especially the Gran Sport.
Old 10-13-09, 10:18 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Ultimately it comes down to preference. There are those that would sacrifice their first born for their Corvette and will be the first in line knocking over old ladies at the checkout if anyone is caught with a negative remark about a Corvette.

Not everyone cares about quality and consider performance to be the primary purchasing objective. I mean, when was the last time anyone said they wanted a Corvette because it was so nice inside? It is actually horrible inside. But it sure does purr along and perform while returning up to 32mpg for the base model (Popular Mechanics recent test).

People bought PT Cruisers for crying out loud, so that just goes and proves that there is something for anyone, just not everyone.

Many laugh at the Corvette and especially their owners, until they line up next to one. I once owned a 87 convertible. Hunk of junk for sure, but so much fun.
Old 10-13-09, 10:27 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I am not surprised that the vette may die. Its true that back in the day the vette was THE sports car for the American consumer. Now we have soooo many powerful, attractive, great handling cars for less money with less problems and even a couple of extra seats in them (G35 , M3, Evo, STI,) that the vette doesnt seem to stac up well. I see them but its not a common car by any means. It seems like its always older white guys that I see in them. You always see the sungalsses and the baseballcap. To each his own but the vette never seemed refined enough to me. Its like a sledgehammer , Brutal, effective, yet not very refined or fancy in terms of how it works
Old 10-13-09, 10:31 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

would agree, the Vette has a very small base audience. It seemed to me that of all of the cars I have owned, more people gave me a hard time in the Vette. A lot of people just do not like them at all-especially females.
Old 10-13-09, 10:45 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I remember as a kid (5-8) I thought the corvette was top notch, but then I learned about Italian cars
Old 10-13-09, 11:53 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts

I love the vette. The only gripe I have with it, is the subpar interior.

Quick Reply: Why the Corvette's days are numbered