Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Regal Official Thread (GS CONFIRMED) Pricing announced, 27k base

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-09, 01:15 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to be rude here but you guys really need to stop comparing a car's exterior or interior design to another. Whether you like it or not, there will be some resemblences between several models... I don't think it really matters if it looks like an Acura, granted that it drives like one too.
Old 11-12-09, 01:29 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Actually the last two Regals sold VERY well and it was puzzling to many when GM decided to can it.

Dynamically, the last Regal was not up to the standards of the rest. Every car review and comparison I read put it at the bottom. It was good at being decent transportation for those not into cars. The word "rental" also comes to mind.
Old 11-12-09, 01:46 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

It's interesting to note, this is yet another design that GM of America could not come up with. Like the last few Saturns, GM has had to turn to their European counterparts to come up with a product. What's a matter GM, can't design your own cars anymore? Where's your talent? Uhhhh... talent? We pulled off the Aztek, Lumina, and SSR, didn't we?
Old 11-12-09, 01:52 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
It's interesting to note, this is yet another design that GM of America could not come up with. Like the last few Saturns, GM has had to turn to their European counterparts to come up with a product. What's a matter GM, can't design your own cars anymore? Where's your talent? Uhhhh... talent? We pulled off the Aztek, Lumina, and SSR, didn't we?
I wasn't talking about how good the car was. People bought it and it was surprising for it to get canned. The Regal GS had a 240 hp S/C engine....

I don't see any G37 in this....The Regal in my eyes looks great, the G37 looks like a melted GS

Old 01-03-10, 11:33 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts
Default 2011 Buick Regal (Opel Insignia rebadge) test drive

It's November in Michigan, and that means it's cold and dreary and dark, not the most appealing time to be out driving, but when GM tosses us the keys to it's latest Buick we actually felt a twinge of excitement. Over a Buick. This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone who's seen the accolades piled atop the Regal's twin the Opel/Vauxhall Insignia. Combined the two identical cars have racked up over thirty awards across Europe and have managed to claim top-seller status.

This is where you replay the last twenty years of General Motors history and put on your skeptic's hat. 'They'll decontent the car, turn the suspension into a squishy mess, the seats will be made of muppet soft cloth and the steering will feel like it's connected to the road through a damp rope.' This is a supposition any healthy car consumer should have, especially regarding a Buick made from an Opel. On all counts however, you'd be wrong.

The Regal in the US is different than the Korean market version in tuning only, it shares 95% of it's parts with the Insignia. Basically the changes come down to different headlights and tail lights per federal requirements, new software in the radio and navigation system, different rear view mirror glass, and all-season tires. They actually improved over the Insignia's NVH requirements, adding sound deadening material in the cabin to make it align with Buick targets.

We drove the European spec Insignia against the Regal and believe it or not, the Regal is better.

We drove Regals equipped with the 2.0 liter turbocharged inline four with both the six-speed automatic and the manual six speed. Off the line the car pulls hard with both the manual and the auto, squealing the tires through first, making use of all 220 HP and 258 lb-ft of torque on the way to a mid-seven second 0-60 MPH time. The transmissions are pretty respectable too, the manual shifts crisply and the engagement point is smooth, gears are well placed to work with the slightly heady engine and spirited driving is downright fun. The six speed auto isn't anything to sneeze at either, passing is a remarkably swift endeavor, it kicks down and away you go, pulling like a mule all the way. Steering under normal and spirited driving has an excellent on-center feel the thick-rimmed tiller has just the right weighty feel under turn-in and the car stays flat through hard sweepers. Potholes and heaves are soaked up though don't completely disappear, the car is tuned fairly stiff for a sporty communicative feel. If there's one thing we can fault in the Regal, it's the steering under hard acceleration, there is a tendency for the wheel to get light and darty, while it's not nightmarish vintage Saab-like torque steer, it's the one thing that could use improvement in the car. Did you catch that? One thing.

Everything about the car is solid, it feels overwhelmingly Germanic in nature. The build quality of the interior is on-par with modern VW's, the seats even look and feel like something out of Germany — firm, supportive, well bolstered and extraordinarily comfortable, they even have extending thigh supports. The leather is extremely high-quality but the cloth seats are nothing to sneeze at either. Buttons have a satisfying damped click, ***** are detented just right. The gauges are clear and communicative and the info center works without complaint. The car comes with all the latest gadgets like Bluetooth, satellite radio, navigation, and other widgets people seem to like. The entire layout is sculptural and quite handsome, though like the Buick LaCrosse, the sculpture results in storage that's somewhat lacking.

While we couldn't find a good place to put our camera and notepad, it didn't matter, just look at the thing, it's gorgeous. The looks which made us simultaneously jealous at the Europeans and furious at General Motors when they announced the Insignia for Europe translate to the Regal virtually unscathed. While following a train of maniac journalists through the twisty roads on the outskirts of Detroit, I regulaly found myself thinking 'Dayum! That's a good lookin' car up there.'

So let's see what we have here; A gorgeous, fun-to-drive, quick, comfortable, well-equipped American sedan built with the quality of its German competitors... and it's a Buick. Who knew?
Attached Thumbnails Buick Regal Official Thread (GS CONFIRMED) Pricing announced, 27k base-500x_2011_buick_regal_02.jpg   Buick Regal Official Thread (GS CONFIRMED) Pricing announced, 27k base-500x_regal_013.jpg   Buick Regal Official Thread (GS CONFIRMED) Pricing announced, 27k base-500x_regal_010.jpg   Buick Regal Official Thread (GS CONFIRMED) Pricing announced, 27k base-500x_regal_044.jpg   Buick Regal Official Thread (GS CONFIRMED) Pricing announced, 27k base-500x_regal_040.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-03-10 at 11:36 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 12:16 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Looks good... We need more German feel in american automobiles..

great find.. your always posting good articles..
Old 01-04-10, 01:10 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Looks good... We need more German feel in american automobiles..

great find.. your always posting good articles..
you can say that again. Man I would settle for a Japanese fell for now. I am excited to see this vehicle. I hope it will be the beginning of a new trend of Euro spec transplants
Old 01-04-10, 07:43 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The Regal looks interesting. I'm anxious to see it in person. A car like this should help Buick to appeal to a wider audience.

To me, the LaCrosse looked better in pictures vs. live. Still a nice looking car, but not as fluid as in the pics.

Last edited by LexBob2; 01-04-10 at 07:53 AM.
Old 01-04-10, 07:49 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Please link the source of the article in the original post if not original content you wrote - thank you.
Old 01-04-10, 06:14 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Please link the source of the article in the original post if not original content you wrote - thank you.
I just looked for it at motorauthority and autoblog and I cant find it. sorry
Old 01-07-10, 06:31 AM
LexFather

2010 NAIS - Buick Regal GS Concept

Car and Driver
Buick Regal GS Concept - Auto Shows
Buick nods to its high-performance past by adding more sport to the Regal.

http://www.caranddriver.com/ne...shows

Motor Trend
Buick Regal GS Show Car
Remastering the Grand Sport

http://www.motortrend.com/auto....html

Edmunds
Buick Regal GS Showcar To Bow at 2010 Detroit Auto Show

http://www.insideline.com/buic....html

Old 01-07-10, 06:33 AM
LexFather

I think that looks fantastic.....

Old 01-07-10, 06:47 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hotttttt!!!
Old 01-07-10, 06:56 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

might as well call it a Buick Regal GS350.

they shape it like a GS, and now they call it a GS.

just go all the way and call it a Buixus GS350.
Old 01-07-10, 12:04 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Not a bad effort but one thing is bothering me bad. The tall, vertical air intakes below the headlights are in the wrong spot. These trendy new lines are usually pushed out to the edge of the bumper, as to give the impression of a wide stance or some sort of brake cooling duct work (a sporty car feature). But GM has them pushed too far in to the center giving the impression of a compact car or scrunched face. As par for the course, I feel GM comes out with a potentially great idea, but get lost in the execution or details.

Quick Reply: Buick Regal Official Thread (GS CONFIRMED) Pricing announced, 27k base