Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Regal Official Thread (GS CONFIRMED) Pricing announced, 27k base

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-10, 02:20 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
maybe not Sonata, but I really believe Optima will be cross shopped with regal. people won't cross shop germans with korean cars, but a buick? why not?
this is a subjective argument and neither of us are probably going to agree, so let's just agree to disagree. ok?

btw posting that pic of that kia didn't support your argument
Old 04-28-10, 02:40 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by (Cj)
I'm sorry, when did sportiness translate into looking like a luxury car? Pontiac's looked sporty, Honda's used to look sporty. Like seriously. I think the Optima looks fine, but like a competitor to the TSX, A4, and Regal? No.

And I don't want to argue this, but it's not new for family cars to resemble higher end cars. When the Camry came out 4 years ago people were talking about hoe the back had BMW design cues (Bangle-butt), and when the Accord came out 2 years ago people were talking about how it looked like a 5 series at a glance. So now years later the Sonata is the shiny new car that looks like a Passat CC. It's a never ending trend of cheaper cars mimicing more expensive ones. I guess it makes the buyers of said cheaper cars feel like there getting something more. Maybe people want to act like they're driving BMW?

Anyway in a yearr or two the next Camry will bow and it'll likely look like an C class or something and everyone will go goo-goo-gaga over it, then the next Accord will come out and look like a 7 series, and people will be fapping over that. It's really nothing. Soon every car will look the same and it'll be hard to distinguish true luxury cars from mainstream ones. I guess that's what badges are for.....................................

Again, since when did Buick became a luxury brand? Optima is sporty, will go 0-60 sub 6 seconds, and will be much cheaper. that's enough to be considered a 'competitor'. it may not do well in the twisties, but Optima will have a serious straight line advantage.

Optima is not an audi A4 competitor, but it will be good enough take some sales away from Regal and even some TSX. just by the design and 'numbers' alone makes it a very attractive package.

but you are right. let's agree to disagree.

Last edited by joe80; 04-28-10 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 02:51 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

care to explain? Optima's design language is as sporty as it gets for a midsize sedan. you may not like the design, but you can't argue against the sportiness of the design.
I'm sorry, when did sportiness translate into looking like a luxury car? Pontiac's looked sporty, Honda's used to look sporty. Like seriously. I think the Optima looks fine, but like a competitor to the TSX, A4, and Regal? No.

And I don't want to argue this, but it's not new for family cars to resemble higher end cars. When the Camry came out 4 years ago people were talking about hoe the back had BMW design cues (Bangle-butt), and when the Accord came out 2 years ago people were talking about how it looked like a 5 series at a glance. So now years later the Sonata is the shiny new car that looks like a Passat CC. It's a never ending trend of cheaper cars mimicing more expensive ones. I guess it makes the buyers of said cheaper cars feel like there getting something more. Maybe people want to act like they're driving BMW?

Anyway in a yearr or two the next Camry will bow and it'll likely look like an C class or something and everyone will go goo-goo-gaga over it, then the next Accord will come out and look like a 7 series, and people will be fapping over that. It's really nothing. Soon every car will look the same and it'll be hard to distinguish true luxury cars from mainstream ones. I guess that's what badges are for.....................................
Old 04-28-10, 02:58 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Is it just me, or does the Regal look a little "cheap" or downmarket ?

I guess it fits for the price range, but IMHO I would rather get a Volvo or something like a Maxima than a Regal.

The interior also looks somewhat cheap.
Old 04-28-10, 03:05 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Again, since when did Buick became a luxury brand? not too long ago, buick was considered as 'too old'. i know they drastically improved their image, but they aren't germans or lexus.

Optima is sporty, will go 0-60 sub 6 seconds, and will be much cheaper. that's enough to be considered a 'competitor'. it may not do well in the twisties, but Optima will have a serious straight line advantage.

Optima is not an audi A4 competitor, but it will be good enough to take some sales away from Regal and even some TSX. just by the design and 'numbers' alone makes it a very attractive package.

Last edited by joe80; 04-28-10 at 03:11 PM.
Old 04-28-10, 03:28 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Again, since when did Buick became a luxury brand? not too long ago, buick was considered as 'too old'. i know they drastically improved their image, but they aren't germans or lexus.

Optima is sporty, will go 0-60 sub 6 seconds, and will be much cheaper. that's enough to be considered a 'competitor'. it may not do well in the twisties, but Optima will have a serious straight line advantage.

Optima is not an audi A4 competitor, but it will be good enough to take some sales away from Regal and even some TSX. just by the design and 'numbers' alone makes it a very attractive package.

This is the disconnect you and I have.

People don't buy cars "by the numbers". It's always an emotional experience and frankly Hyundai/Kia buyers aren't Buick buyers or vice versa. Buick is and has always been a premium brand. It may have at one point been an older crowd of people, but nonetheless they were premium. They were never a mainstream brand and most people don't see them as one. No they're not Lexus, but they have a better image, than Mercury and Chrysler (other former "premium" non-luxury brands).

The Accord has been out for some time and it has had great numbers and has been a good large car, but it itself didn't kill any brands and the Accord is a much better seller than any Hyundai or Kia. That's why I know for a fact that no Optima or Sonata is going to steal sales from the Regal or make the Regal a FAIL. The Regal has a classic name many people are going to remember. People are going to consider the Regal over a lot of cars because its a name they know.

Some people don't even know what an Optima is. Once GM gets to advertising the Regal again people are going to immediately be interested. The Regal was a great reliable car in it's time. One of the better GMs and it's always sold well so this car is kinda a big deal for Buick.

Not everyone buys a car like the Regal or the TSX to be the fastest around. People are going to be drawn to it's classy styling (something the Sonata and Optima lack) and it's Euro feel inside and out. They will also be attracted by the name. If Acura can sell as many 201hp TSXs as they do Buick will have no problem selling a few thousand of these babies.

FWIW the LaCrosse consistently outsells the Genesis and the Genesis has more bodystyles and engines than the LaCrosse. Buick STILL has a good name and people are buying they're products.
Old 04-28-10, 07:04 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

when you have 30k to spend, there are a lot of choices. buick regal will be cross shopped with many cars including top of the line midsize v6's and korean turbo sedans. yes, it's closest competitor will be TSX/CC, but i think it's closer to Optima turbo than Audi A4. you also gotta add great handling Kizashi in the mix as well.

I've been in the marketing/branding business for 8 years now. I know for sure that Buick's name hasn't arrived yet just like hyundai/kia hasn't totally arrived in the mainstream market. I bet my house that there will be plenty of optima turbo/regal cross shopping. we will also see plenty of comparison tests between optima turbo and Regal as well.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...the-specs.html

Instead of Sonata, put Optima's picture next to it and type in 274hp and 269lb-ft. the comparison is legit as long as it isn't against a tier 1 or 2 luxury brands.
Old 04-28-10, 07:38 PM
LexFather

Another thread derailed by Hyundai/Kia. Geezus...

Hey TRD it will start around 25k so that is why the interior seems slightly cheap. Having sat in it it's not bad and has Euro influence. I thought it was fine but not as good as the tsx.

Old 04-28-10, 09:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

nice Vauxhal....err......Buick??
Old 04-28-10, 10:06 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
nice Vauxhal....err......Buick??
Nice Skyline, err G37?

A good car is a good car no matter what it is badged.

Old 04-28-10, 10:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Acura still has a much better image than buick for normal people.
What's your definition, in the auto-buying market, of "Normal"?
Old 04-28-10, 10:14 PM
LexFather

Acura still has a much better image than buick for normal people. and IMO, if Buick only manages to sell 2-3k a month then it will be considered as a flop.
Buick is outselling Acura with only 3 models. Acura has 6, double the models. If anything Buick's image is better than Acuras.

Acura scored last in image 2 years ago FYI. People simply do not want to be associated with the brand and the ugly styling is making a bad situation much worse.

http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/01/29...ury-and-buick/

Old 04-28-10, 11:04 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What's your definition, in the auto-buying market, of "Normal"?
those people who probably doesn't follow auto news everyday like I'm?

anyway, i know all about acura's recent struggles, but i don't believe they suddenly became tier 3. bad design will make brands suffer, but i still think Acura has chance to bounce back. sales number has absolutely nothing to do with the 'brand image' because Audi doesn't sell well here in america, but it still has tremendous 'respect'.

acura does have an image problem, but it's more of a 'design' problem. fix the design then problem will be solved. they will be a solid tier 2 again. buick is not yet luxury IMO. they are premium cars on their way to become a legit luxury brand someday.

Last edited by joe80; 04-28-10 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-29-10, 12:04 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Another thread derailed by Hyundai/Kia. Geezus...

Hey TRD it will start around 25k so that is why the interior seems slightly cheap. Having sat in it it's not bad and has Euro influence. I thought it was fine but not as good as the tsx.
Yeah from pictures the interior seems fine given the price. In your opinion, would you take it over something like a Volvo S40, or an Acura TSX?
Old 04-29-10, 08:09 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Yeah from pictures the interior seems fine given the price. In your opinion, would you take it over something like a Volvo S40, or an Acura TSX?
Well there also was the Regal GXP there and I would buy that over any S40 or TSX just based on looks, interior. Haven't driven it yet so once the package doesn't just blow it I think the Regal would be my choice.

Quick Reply: Buick Regal Official Thread (GS CONFIRMED) Pricing announced, 27k base