Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Buick Regal Official Thread (GS CONFIRMED) Pricing announced, 27k base

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-10, 07:07 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Wow, a Buick with a stick. I approve, but I don't think anyone will buy it until the auto comes out.
Yup, not many sales of the stick. Probably limited sales of the auto when it comes out. But a nice looking effort from Buick.
Old 11-04-10, 07:55 PM
D-Boi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its just an Opel. A german car that GM is trying to pawn off as a Regal. Sort of like the GTO (what a shame). They need to stop doing this, going to europe picking off cars changing the front grill and naming them saturn pontiac and buick because they are NOT. This is a very nice looking car though but if i were to buy one which i wouldnt id throw an opel grill on it.
Old 11-04-10, 11:04 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I wonder if this means that Buick is pulling in younger (Regal) buyers? It sounds like that might be happening with the conquest sales.
Not sure about that.

Saw a few Buicks the past couple of weeks and they were all driven by senior citizens going well under the speed limit.
Old 11-04-10, 11:18 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
While I understand that the Regal is going to slot below the LaCrosse in price/lineup, its interior, in comparison to the LaCrosse, doesn't impress me as much. It is simply, IMO, too un-Buick inside.......I don't see much, if any, in the way of wood/metallic trim except for a little chrome right around the shift lever.

Buick might want to reconsider and rename this model the Century instead of Regal. The Century served as Buick's entry-level model for years (without any wood or metallic trim inside) and I think that it would be a more appropriate name for this model instead of Regal.
Younger people, who this car is targeted at, typically do not prefer wood trim... and they certainly would not want to drive a car named the Century.
Old 11-05-10, 09:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I hope the Regal is a success for Buick. The GS might be a stretch for them but well worth the effort.
Old 11-05-10, 11:00 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D-Boi
Its just an Opel. A german car that GM is trying to pawn off as a Regal. Sort of like the GTO (what a shame). They need to stop doing this, going to europe picking off cars changing the front grill and naming them saturn pontiac and buick because they are NOT. This is a very nice looking car though but if i were to buy one which i wouldnt id throw an opel grill on it.

Opel is a division of General Motors, for the European market. Who cares if they bring versions of some models over here under the brands we do have. Would you prefer GM launch Opel here after killing numerous brands? It makes much more sense to share products globally instead of using tons of resources to develop completely separate vehicles for each market. In today's market, it no longer makes as much sense as it may have years ago. Plus, as Ford has also recently figured out, people prefer these European flavored cars. Starting with the Fiesta and next, the Focus. These cars are virtually the same globally. Before, We got a crappy version of the Focus while Europe had a far better one. And while the Fiesta has been the best selling vehicle in Europe, we didn't get it at all, until now.

You're making it sound like Opel is a separately owned German company and GM has bought an alliance with them to build a sister car. Like the Geo/Chevy Prism was based on the Toyota Corolla, for example. That was totally different.
Old 11-05-10, 02:10 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

This car was supposed to have AWD to go along with the 255HP. With AWD, Stick, and the turbo I would have been semi interested.

GM decided to forgo the AWD and offer FWD only. As such, I've lost interest. Poor decision GM.