Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

There's No Way to Enforce a Texting While Driving Ban

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 01:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Let's not get into that. What they do in their own bedroom is their buisness.
Arnold is not Marv Albert

Old 10-15-09, 02:02 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 787 Likes on 551 Posts

How about if you get into an accident and the person at fault was/is texting or talking on their cell phone you can sue them for punitive damages?
Old 10-15-09, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Arnold is not Marv Albert

Did you know that Marv Albert's girl friend (her name was Venessa) lived in my town-house development, just a few addresses down from me? (No, I'm not kidding). You wouldn't believe the press, reporters, cops, and floodlights that were in my neighborhood the morning the story really broke, and she revealed her address. She's long-gone now, of course.

And, no, I did not personally know her....she had not lived there very long.

Sorry to take the thread off-topic, but I just wanted to toss that in.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-15-09 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-15-09, 02:35 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
long article but I'll bring out the main point. I've always found cell phone and texting while driving laws ridiculous and provide no real result as its one of a million ways to get distracted while driving.

And so it goes with the panic over texting while driving. I'm not going to defend the act of clumsily thumbing out an E-mail while guiding a 2-ton, gasoline-loaded missile down the highway at 70 miles per hour. That's foolish. Nor will I argue there's some right to drive while iPhone-ing tucked into a constitutional penumbra. I will argue that we need to get over the idea that we can solve every bad habit with a new law. We can't, and this issue illustrates why.
http://www.usnews.com/articles/opini...iving-ban.html

and heres a bit of LOL:
Maria Shriver Busted Breaking Husband's Own Law
Just because you can't regulate every bad habit doesn't mean you shouldn't regulate any of them. At what point do you take that silly argument to its logical extreme and call DWI a "bad habit"? There's lots of studies and data about driving while talking on cell phones, but just can't take seriously anyone who's going to argue in favor of texting while driving--there's just nothing close to safe about it.
Old 10-15-09, 02:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Just because you can't regulate every bad habit doesn't mean you shouldn't regulate any of them. At what point do you take that silly argument to its logical extreme and call DWI a "bad habit"?
DUI/DWI is not just a "bad habit". Legally, it is a criminal offense in all 50 states.

Whether text-messaging should or should not be considered a criminal offense (and if it is enforceable) is, of course, one of the subjects we are debating in this thread. The main difference, of course, is that a texter is something that, if you choose to do so, you CAN simply put down on the seat next to you, forget about it, and get on with your driving. You can't do that with alcohol.....once alcohol impairs you, you CAN'T simply stop it, lay it on the seat next to you and continue driving. You're going to be impared (or intoxicated) until the alcohol effect wears off.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-15-09 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-15-09, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Did you know that Marv Albert's girl friend (her name was Venessa) lived in my town-house development, just a few addresses down from me? (No, I'm not kidding). You wouldn't believe the press, reporters, cops, and floodlights that were in my neighborhood the morning the story really broke, and she revealed her address. She's long-gone now, of course.

And, no, I did not personally know her....she had not lived there very long.

Sorry to take the thread off-topic, but I just wanted to toss that in.
Pretty cool

Old 10-15-09, 02:45 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not sure how you enforce the texting ban.. Most texters dont hold there phone high up where everyone cans see them... When I do text at a stoplight my phone is right under my steering wheel nobody can see that because thats how people would do it when they were driving to right? i think the second time you do it you have to take a year long driving class. taking away a license is a bit to harsh if they dont cause an accident or anything
Old 10-15-09, 03:16 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

^^^ that brings up a good point

if you wanna text, do it at a red light !

I would much rather have someone hold up traffic at a red light while texting, than someone DWT. much safer that way.

Those racing video games often have a PSA at the beginning, reminding you to take it to the track if you wanna race.

Cars should have the same PSA on start up. "texting is dangerous. do it only when you're fully stopped"
Old 10-15-09, 04:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

ban attractive women in convertibles, they distract me, i have a bad habit of looking at them while I'm driving. There needs to be a law against this
Old 10-15-09, 05:25 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Agreed. If I see drivers behind me texting, I get out of their way, FAST! I'd feel safer with a drunk driver behind me. (Not that that's safe, either)
What about a drunk texter?

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If people would just respect one another and take driving as a priority and not some chore we wouldn't need all this crap.
I agree; and if you don't like driving, maybe you should commute other ways (I've got a couple aquaintances who dislike driving so they don't do it)

[quote=dunnojack;4929219if you wanna text, do it at a red light ![/quote]

That's when I do it ... I've definitely been driving and thought *I need a red light so I can answer that email!* But here-in lyes the get-out-of-jail-free card. You get pulled over for texting, cop checks your phone and sure enough, there was an outgoing message moments ago, 'oh but officer, that was at the light just back there'
Old 10-16-09, 04:39 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

DUI/DWI is not just a "bad habit". Legally, it is a criminal offense in all 50 states.
Yes--but the point being made related to govt regulation of behavior. That's what DWI laws are--it's criminal behavior because there are laws against it; there were not always laws against it, but as society and driving habits evolved, people came to realize just how bad DWI was. Some day, years from now, when all the debate is over, TWD (texting while driving) will be a criminal offense in all 50 states too.
Old 10-16-09, 05:28 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I know when a bus driver get into an accident, the count sometimes get the cell phone record of the bus driver at the time of the accident. If we make cell phone record more accessible and enforce that with heavy fine or jail time, that might be the best way to enforce the law.