Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

There's No Way to Enforce a Texting While Driving Ban

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-09 | 03:57 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Default There's No Way to Enforce a Texting While Driving Ban

long article but I'll bring out the main point. I've always found cell phone and texting while driving laws ridiculous and provide no real result as its one of a million ways to get distracted while driving.
http://www.usnews.com/articles/opini...iving-ban.html

And so it goes with the panic over texting while driving. I'm not going to defend the act of clumsily thumbing out an E-mail while guiding a 2-ton, gasoline-loaded missile down the highway at 70 miles per hour. That's foolish. Nor will I argue there's some right to drive while iPhone-ing tucked into a constitutional penumbra. I will argue that we need to get over the idea that we can solve every bad habit with a new law. We can't, and this issue illustrates why.

Let's start with the alleged problem. Obviously, we have more people texting behind the wheel today than we did in, say, 1985. And undeniably, those people pose a threat. But it's hard to find definitive empirical support for the idea that our highways are awash in BlackBerry-spilled blood. Since 1995, there's been an eightfold increase in cellphone subscribers in the United States, and we've increased the number of minutes spent on cellphones by a factor of 58.

What's happened to traffic fatalities in that time? They've dropped—slightly, but they've dropped. Overall reported accidents since 1997 have dropped, too, from 6.7 million to 6 million. Proponents of a ban on cellphones say those numbers should have dropped more. "We've spent billions on air bags, antilock brakes, better steering, safer cars and roads, but the number of fatalities has remained constant," safety researcher David Strayer told the New York Times in July. "Our return on investment for those billions is zero. And that's because we're using devices in our cars."

Strayer would have a point if he were looking at the right statistics. But we drive a lot more than we did in 1995. Deaths in proportion to passenger miles are a far better indicator of road safety than overall fatalities. In 1995, there were 1.72 deaths for every 100 million miles traveled. By 2007, the figure had dropped to 1.36, a 21 percent decline. That's hardly remaining constant. But let's assume that even those numbers would be lower were it not for texting drivers. It's still far from clear that banning texting will make us safer. There are countless other driver distractions that we'd never think of banning, from having kids in the back seat, to eating or drinking while driving, to fumbling with the radio. Certainly, it's foolish to type out text messages behind the wheel, but what about merely reading from your phone?

We've seen similar nonsense on display with the general use of cellphones while driving. Though several states have passed bans, all make exceptions for hands-free devices. But we know the level of impairment of drivers using hands-free devices is essentially the same as that of drivers holding a phone. These laws aren't about safety; they're about symbolism.
and heres a bit of LOL:
Maria Shriver Busted Breaking Husband's Own Law

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 10-14-09 at 04:05 PM.
Old 10-14-09 | 04:15 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

I don't care if it doesn't prove results, it would just make me happy that those *******s who decide to text and drive would get heavy fines. Honestly they should make fines for that offense unreasonably high. $200 for first offense, $400 for second, and go up in $200 increments in general. City needs new source of revenue, texting could be a BIG hit for them. I would personally help report these douchebags who have no respect for others driving around them, and reporting their plates to the police. Beautiful thing, you can't get out of a ticket like that. If you claimed you weren't texting, then all they would have to do is ask the provider for an activity list for that persons phone during the time the offense was observed, done deal.
Old 10-14-09 | 04:23 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

How about $400 first warning. Second time you get caught you lose your license for life. Plain and simple! Your car gets ceased and auctioned off.
Old 10-14-09 | 04:25 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by JessePS
How about $400 first warning. Second time you get caught you lose your license for life. Plain and simple! Your car gets ceased and auctioned off.
I like that idea even more!!!!! Texting is just as bad as drunk driving, you aren't paying attention to the road, and most of the time observing DWT'ers you notice their cars weave side to side or they are driving hella slow......
Old 10-14-09 | 05:39 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Unenforceable, but still useful as a deterrent to do it.

We can't stop all murders and thefts and chaos (and texting and drunk driving, etc) from occurring. However, we do our best as a society to prevent it.

Cell phone laws are mostly preventative; never an ultimate solution. I've seen multiple people get pulled over because of it, and that prevents me from trying to do it...
Old 10-14-09 | 10:35 PM
eyezack87
Lexus Test Driver

I've been rear ended while the other person was texted. I'm all for this law, no matter how stupid it is but there are many loopholes around it I think =/
Old 10-15-09 | 08:30 AM
Habious
Pole Position

I agree with the idea of very-strict laws for this...and brutally-harsh punishments for it.

The same should be done for DUI.

1st offense, lose your license for a year.
2nd offense, lose it for life.
If you're caught driving on a license that was suspended for a DUI, 5 years in jail.

I see these stories of people getting their 7th DUI...and it makes me want to vomit.
Old 10-15-09 | 10:33 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jewcano
I like that idea even more!!!!! Texting is just as bad as drunk driving, you aren't paying attention to the road, and most of the time observing DWT'ers you notice their cars weave side to side or they are driving hella slow......
Agreed. If I see drivers behind me texting, I get out of their way, FAST! I'd feel safer with a drunk driver behind me. (Not that that's safe, either)
Old 10-15-09 | 10:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Do you guys think Maria Shriver is going to get a ticket? Maybe Arnold is going to spank her or something The sad part is she probably have a blue tooth in her luxury car but just dont know how to use it

Last edited by The G Man; 10-15-09 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-15-09 | 11:23 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i would say in general that talking on a cell phone and worse, texting, require a lot more concentration than other distractions and are thus worse and more dangerous. even if they don't result in fatalities, i think we can all say people who text or have in depth conversations while driving are a menace.

i think the talking on cell phone is a problem because the quality of cell phone voice communications still STINKS. it's kinda 'half duplex' (cut each other off) and in general it's often just hard to catch everything the other person says AND concentrate on driving, so to me it's just bad news...

in comparison, talking to a passenger is a lot less distracting because they can see the traffic conditions, when you're turning, etc., so if you pause in conversation, it's no problem. when talking to someone on a cell phone, particularly if it's an important business call, 'dead air' can seem like you're out of it or not too bright.

in general i only tolerate cell phone calls on relatively empty highway driving. i might scan an e-mail on my blackberry, but i don't write messages.
Old 10-15-09 | 11:29 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

If they're going to be doing all those unenforceable cell phone laws then they might as well ban smoking while driving. I've been rear-ended by someone trying to light a cigarette once and I wasn't very happy. I've also received one or two lit butts that explode into burning ashes on contact, on my windshield... it's quite surprising, I thought I had been shot. I've also had several butts land inside my car while my windows were down.
Old 10-15-09 | 12:42 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It
CL Folding 1M

Originally Posted by FisforFast
If they're going to be doing all those unenforceable cell phone laws then they might as well ban smoking while driving. I've been rear-ended by someone trying to light a cigarette once and I wasn't very happy. I've also received one or two lit butts that explode into burning ashes on contact, on my windshield... it's quite surprising, I thought I had been shot. I've also had several butts land inside my car while my windows were down.
Love that TOO. I hate being behind some douchebag smoker whose windows are down and all their stank goes into my car. Why should I suffer and not allowed to breath fresh air so they can take a hit at their cancer stick.
Old 10-15-09 | 12:46 PM
LexFather

Its our countries problem. ME ME ME and "I don't give a ****". So instead of doing what is right, we get more dumbass laws and bigger government.

If people would just respect one another and take driving as a priority and not some chore we wouldn't need all this crap.
Old 10-15-09 | 01:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JessePS
You're contradicting yourself here. By law, a "warning" gets no fine. The $400 would heve to be for an actual conviction and offense.

I agree with the rest of your proposal in theory, but consider that suspending or revoking a drivers license does not keep a lot of people from getting right back behind the wheel again.....committging more offenses. The only thing that is guaranteed to keep someone from driving is to physically detain them in a facility.
Old 10-15-09 | 01:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Maybe Arnold is going to spank her or something
Let's not get into that. What they do in their own bedroom is their buisness.

Quick Reply: There's No Way to Enforce a Texting While Driving Ban