Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 prius impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 02:02 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
btw, those wheels look so small compared to the 17"...those dont even look like oem rims.
much better...
these are plastic covers...the black car has what's underneath

Old 10-15-09, 02:17 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks, Paul. Nice write-up. Having reviewed both the 2Gen and 3Gen Prius, I agree with much of what you say; particularly the Geeky interior layout/controls.

Having to press the brake while pushing the START button is not necessarily limited to hybrids; it is a safety feature that some conventional cars have as well. The "arrows" in the electronic display you wondered about were probably the power-flow indicators that show when the gas motor, electric motor (or both) are powering the front wheels....and when the battery-pack is being charged, such as during regenerative braking. There is also an ECO and POWER hybrid mode that changes the computer programming of the two engines, and how they interact.

I agree with you on the poor rear visibility and that the steering/handling (though somewhat improved over the 2Gen model) is not particularly crisp (and not as responsive as the Honda Insight/Civic Hybrid). I don't know what you mean by the term "play" but rack and pinion steering systems generally don't have any "play" like the old recirculating-ball units did when they had some wear on them, when the steering wheel had motion across the center with no response at all. (That was one of the reasons why automakers converted to rack-and-pinion).

I didn't notice any bumping or vibration at all with my Prius when the power-flow shifted back and forth.....that was definitely more of a problem in the Hondas.

Did you notice the thin, somewhat poor-quality interior plastics and the somewhat flimsy, paper-thin pull-cargo cover in the back? That was the thing that struck me about the new 3Gen interior the most.....that, and the fact that they put the heated-seat controls (which your car may not have had) under a big hole in the center-console, down on the floor. Overall, I thought the sheet metal and interior-material quality was a big drop from the 2Gen model.......apparantly to save cost and (maybe) weight. Saving weight DID pay off in this car, though....the 50 MPG figures are superb, and better than anything Honda can come up with in their hybrids. But, given the Ford Fusion's greater size/comfort, I think Ford (comparatively)did an even better job in their 40 MPG Fusion Hybrid.

Again, thanks.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-16-09 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-15-09, 02:53 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good review but I just cant stand those tiny wheels
Old 10-15-09, 03:00 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In this area, Priuses often go quicker than that.
To be honest in speaking to salesman, I've heard a 48 hour turnaround..

Old 10-15-09, 03:02 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Very entertaining and informative review bit, thanks for sharing your thoughts!!!

PS. Ambien LOL
Old 10-15-09, 03:16 PM
LOL!
Lead Lap

"sales droid" haha! Nice review, Bit.
Old 10-15-09, 03:28 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LOL!
"sales droid" haha! Nice review, Bit.
Hehe,

Toyota Salesman: Nobody wants a manual transmission.
Me: I do
Salesman: Nah, people like to sit back and relax when they drive.
Me: I drive a stick right now.
Salesman: Well I don't have any....er um, I have a Scion with a 5MT
Me: No thanks.
Old 10-15-09, 03:43 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
untrue. i definitely wanted to like it. have even considered buying one to have instead of my suv.

thanks.

i don't know what that means, but i was hard pressed to sense differences, except cosmetically, from the gen2 i've been in before.

i don't think the one i drove had HUD, and i certainly don't need/want self parking mode - i don't have all day to park.
so self parking is cool on LS600h and S600 but nobody needs it in Prius? :-).
You had cheaper model so it didnt have all the cool options or 17" wheels with tighter suspension.

Seriously though, If you were hard pressed to "sense" differences between Gen2 and Gen3 Prius, then honestly there is nothing to talk about - you clearly dont remember anything from Gen2. From the "sense" perspective, it is as if you are comparing original LS to LS460.

And from perspective of ergonomics, using Prius is dead easy, after driving it for 10 minutes, even with all the crazy options it has. I mean is PWR button that you press to turn on/off really that complicated? Not to mention that PWR mode lights up on the dash, just like in Lexus. And look, hit it again, and it goes off.. wow. space ship technology :-).

Now to think of it, its much better that you didnt have smart parking option, because it freaked out even me
Old 10-15-09, 03:43 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Awesome review, totally entertaining.
Old 10-15-09, 05:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
so self parking is cool on LS600h and S600 but nobody needs it in Prius? :-).
nope, it's not cool on any of them, and that's what EVERY review i've read has said. a gimmick, too slow, worthless.

You had cheaper model so it didnt have all the cool options or 17" wheels with tighter suspension.
true, that's all they had available.

Seriously though, If you were hard pressed to "sense" differences between Gen2 and Gen3 Prius, then honestly there is nothing to talk about - you clearly dont remember anything from Gen2. From the "sense" perspective, it is as if you are comparing original LS to LS460.
thanks for the insults, you're in fine form today, mr. keyboard warrior. why are you so defensive? i don't think the prius is a bad vehicle! and as mmarshall pointed out, which i agree with, i found the gen2 to feel more substantial and nicer inside than the gen3.

Now to think of it, its much better that you didnt have smart parking option, because it freaked out even me
even you, huh? wow, it must be something to be so clever, yet freaked out by self-parking option.

obviously you don't like my review, which is fine, and of course what i say will make NO difference to anyone... the vehicle's a huge hit, and deservedly so.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-15-09 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-15-09, 05:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks, Paul. Nice write-up. Having reviewed both the 2Gen and 3Gen Prius, I agree with much of what you say; particularly the Geeky interior layout/controls.
thanks, that's appreciated coming from the master reviewer!!!

Having to press the brake while pushing the START button is not necessarily limited to hybrids; it is a safety feature that some conventional cars have as well.
typically, as you know, the 'parking lock' requires brake pedal to take a car out of PARK, once the car is started, but i've not known a non-hybrid car require pressing the brake to START it. my miata which has keyless start (and is a stick) requires the clutch to be depressed when starting though.

I didn't notice any bumping or vibration at all with my Prius when the power-flow shifted back and forth.....that was definitely more of a problem in the Hondas.
i only noticed it on that initial engine start on backing out. after that i never noticed if the gas engine went off, but my understanding is it never goes off right, until you're going really slow or stopped again?

Did you notice the thin, somewhat poor-quality interior plastics and the somewhat flimsy, paper-thin pull-cargo cover in the back?
indeed... the bean counters, plus engineers have worked hard to wring cost and weight out of the vehicle, which is understandable, but yes, it did have a pretty 'cheap' feel overall.

That was the thing that struck me about the new 3Gen interior the most.....that, and the fact that they put the heated-seat controls (which your car may not have had) under a big hole in the center-console, down on the floor. Overall, I thought the sheet metal and interior-material qiality was a big drop from the 2Gen model.......apparantly to save cost and (maybe) weight.
agreed on all.

Saving weight DID pay off in this car, though....the 50 MPG figures are superb, and better than anything Honda can come up with in their hybrids. But, given the Ford Fusion's greater size/comfort, I think Ford (comparatively)did an even better job in their 40 MPG Fusion Hybrid.
i think the prius is a GREAT accomplishment from size/economy standpoint. the fusion is more 'conventional' of course, and very impressive too.
Old 10-15-09, 05:36 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bitkahuna, I think you regularly drive a Miata, correct? This has do be disclosed if you are ever to do any car reviews in the future.

Most cars, by comparison, will be boring to drive. But did enjoy reading your review...
Old 10-15-09, 05:56 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the review. It is nice to read a review from someone who isn't an owner. After all, no car is perfect. I can help clarify a few things if you want.

The difference between the model II and model III is actually a JBL Audio system with 8 speakers, bluetooth and a CD Changer (plays mp3 CDs too). That's what the $1,000 gets ya.

In all honesty, you have to have had notice a difference in PWR Mode. You just dip the throttle and the car gives you the power as if you were 3/4 into the throttle. It makes country road driving more fun because you don't have to press the throttle too hard. Granted, I don't have a 911 in the garage so this is probably the most fun I've ever had (barring all the test drives from BMW, Audi, Lexus etc cause those were on closed courses so I only had a short time with them).

If you didn't squeal the (eco) tyres while in PWR mode and during a right turn, you were trying hard enough =P

You can always remove the false floor if you need more height. Also the rear seats fold flat so you can load a decent sized chest of drawers in the back.

Also, the good (I think?) thing is that you tested the base model so it had none of the bells and whistles to cover its foibles. The IPA has been improved for this generation and is faster than the one on the LS because it actually tells you where to position the car so about 80% of the time, you can just press OK after verifying the space. Previously, you had to position the car properly by yourself and if it wasn't right, you'd have to adjust the box, which obviously takes time and pisses off those behind you.
Old 10-15-09, 07:34 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruce van
Bitkahuna, I think you regularly drive a Miata, correct? This has do be disclosed if you are ever to do any car reviews in the future.

Most cars, by comparison, will be boring to drive. But did enjoy reading your review...
haha, well i have a miata, yes, but i also have a 'boring' ford explorer suv.

even the explorer's more fun to drive than a prius.

the only 'fun' to be had driving a prius is to work at maximizing fuel economy and watching the klingon glachhh shnak display.

Originally Posted by Nextourer
The difference between the model II and model III is actually a JBL Audio system with 8 speakers, bluetooth and a CD Changer (plays mp3 CDs too). That's what the $1,000 gets ya.
ahhh... thanks. i stared at the microfiche print on the window stickers for a while trying to figure out the diff., but didn't catch that.

In all honesty, you have to have had notice a difference in PWR Mode.
as i said, i didn't have time/room to explore the modes... no doubt there's differences.

The IPA has been improved for this generation and is faster than the one on the LS...
do you really use it?

anyway, thanks a lot for the specific info.
Old 10-15-09, 09:05 PM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
first off, the looks. some flattering photos i've seen of it look ok but in person it's fugly. now i know it's a cheap shot to comment on the more common versions with the small wheels, but look at these - my lawnmower has bigger rims.

(more in the next post)...
Of course, Prius is a 4-wheeled Ugg boot in Japanese

But I personally prefer the 2nd gen over the 3rd gen looks and sheet metal wise. I fondled the 3rd gen at the local Toyota dealer, while the interior is IMO leaps and bounds better visually and ergonomically the exterior sheet metal felt a little flimsy - my parent's 09 felt much better in the metal department. Plus the rear end with the upper lip looks a bit awkward and the front end looks geeky.

Quick Reply: 2010 prius impressions...