Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 prius impressions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 11:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I hope to one day have a chance to take a cruise in one. I am sure , like most Toyota products, it well designed, built, and executed
Old 10-16-09, 02:27 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

haha very funny
Old 10-16-09, 05:32 AM
gsmithkaty
Driver School Candidate

Wow, thanks for the write-up. Must say it was more interesting than the "motor trend types reviews". Seems like it's quite an appliance.
Old 10-16-09, 09:02 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer

In all honesty, you have to have had notice a difference in PWR Mode. You just dip the throttle and the car gives you the power as if you were 3/4 into the throttle. It makes country road driving more fun because you don't have to press the throttle too hard. Granted, I don't have a 911 in the garage so this is probably the most fun I've ever had (barring all the test drives from BMW, Audi, Lexus etc cause those were on closed courses so I only had a short time with them).
What happens in the POWER mode (which is more or less expected) is that the gas engine cuts in quicker, with less pedal-pressure, to boost the electrics...and recharge them. Though the Prius doesn't have a conventional tach for the gas engine (a digital RPM readout, I think, can be set up through the adjustable electronic displays), you can usually tell when the gas engine cuts in by a slight increase in the underhood hum and by the electronic power-flow arrows.

If you didn't squeal the (eco) tyres while in PWR mode and during a right turn, you were trying hard enough =P
Come on. The Prius is not a torque monster, even in POWER mode....nor it it designed to be. If you want to light up the tires, get a Mustang GT with a live rear axle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-16-09 at 09:06 AM.
Old 10-16-09, 10:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Paul, have you written a review yet of the new RX450h, the hybrid you said you would buy ?
Old 10-16-09, 11:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great concise review written from the perspective of knowledgeable enthusiast, especially liked the sales droid comments. Around here the techie commuter droids love the new Prius, they are everywhere.
Old 10-16-09, 02:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Paul, have you written a review yet of the new RX450h, the hybrid you said you would buy ?
i live too far from a damn lexus dealer to have the opportunity to drive one.
Old 10-16-09, 02:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Great concise review written from the perspective of knowledgeable enthusiast, especially liked the sales droid comments. Around here the techie commuter droids love the new Prius, they are everywhere.
They are very popular both in CA and in the urban/suburban Northeast, especially around D.C.
Old 10-17-09, 03:25 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ahhh... thanks. i stared at the microfiche print on the window stickers for a while trying to figure out the diff., but didn't catch that.

as i said, i didn't have time/room to explore the modes... no doubt there's differences.

do you really use it?

anyway, thanks a lot for the specific info.
np. Yeah sometimes you really have to dig for the info. A pity it isn't readily shown on the car.

IPA? I've used it to show people as a demo. It's quite cool I must say. Do I use it every day? No. I may use it once in a while to park at home when I'm tired from work (I always back into the space at home).

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What happens in the POWER mode (which is more or less expected) is that the gas engine cuts in quicker, with less pedal-pressure, to boost the electrics...and recharge them. Though the Prius doesn't have a conventional tach for the gas engine (a digital RPM readout, I think, can be set up through the adjustable electronic displays), you can usually tell when the gas engine cuts in by a slight increase in the underhood hum and by the electronic power-flow arrows.

Come on. The Prius is not a torque monster, even in POWER mode....nor it it designed to be. If you want to light up the tires, get a Mustang GT with a live rear axle.
And the effect is quite noticeable. You know me mmarshall. I don't bs on this board. I don't have a 300+hp 335i in my garage so naturally my perception is gonna be different than someone who has (or is used to) a higher powered vehicle but I must say, it definitely feels less of a slug.

In PWR Mode, you will spin the tyres. I kid you not.
Old 10-17-09, 04:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

using IPA for parallel parking is crazy... when i tested it, i went outside the car to see how close it was getting to the car next to it... it was 5"-7" only from the front right bumper! It will park the car better than 98% of the drivers out there, but it feels so strange to trust the computer as it seems that you will be hitting something.

of course, keep in mind that i live in the city in europe... i parallel park around 10 times per day, during normal course of the day... at least in half situations, i barely fit with my GS.
Old 10-17-09, 04:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nextourer
You know me mmarshall. I don't bs on this board.
Yes, I know that you are a credible poster ....as are the majority of posters here on CAR CHAT. But it's hard to imagine any real tirespin out of a Prius, no matter how you have the system programed.

In PWR Mode, you will spin the tyres. I kid you not.
On dry pavement? You wouldn't necessarily have to be on ice, but seems like it would probably have to be on a lower-friction surface. And the Prius, like most Toyota products, has a pretty low-tolerance traction-control unit that doesn't allow much spin even if you can induce some.
Old 10-17-09, 04:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
using IPA for parallel parking is crazy... when i tested it, i went outside the car to see how close it was getting to the car next to it... it was 5"-7" only from the front right bumper! It will park the car better than 98% of the drivers out there, but it feels so strange to trust the computer as it seems that you will be hitting something.

of course, keep in mind that i live in the city in europe... i parallel park around 10 times per day, during normal course of the day... at least in half situations, i barely fit with my GS.

Here in America, driver-training tends to be somewhat of a joke, but parallel-parking, at least in my home state of VA, is one thing that you MUST demonstrate that you can do at least reasonably well before you are issued a license. Doing it with the electronics, like in a Prius or LS460, won't cut it on a checkout ride here.
Old 10-17-09, 04:44 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
If you guys want a new RX review, here is the one I did this year. I had to do it in two parts....RX350 and a 450h update....because the 450h was not available last winter when the new 350 came out.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...xus-rx350.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...x350-450h.html

And here is Mike's (1SICKLEX):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-rx-350-a.html
Old 10-17-09, 04:47 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

saw a black one today, looked great imo.
Old 10-17-09, 06:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new Prius does look much better than the prior versions, mostly white ones around here.

btw, anybody have pics of customized new Prius's?

Quick Reply: 2010 prius impressions...