Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

REPORT: Panoz ditches proposed LMP1 program in favor of new Esperante successor

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-09, 10:34 PM
LexFather

Post REPORT: Panoz ditches proposed LMP1 program in favor of new Esperante successor

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/10/15/r...r-of-new-espe/

It's been a while since we've heard anything from Panoz Auto Development. The American sportscar manufacturer came onto the scene in the late Nineties with their AIV Roadster, and later went onto create various road and race versions of the Mustang-based Esperante. Around the same time company founder Danny Panoz started building cars, his father Don Panoz also started the the American Le Mans Series, vaulting the family business from automaker and race team to race series organizer.

In the past few years, Panoz has crafted several Le Mans prototype racers and even some Indy/Champ Car chassis. The company has achieved limited success with its front-engined LMP1 program, but the Esperante GT-LM racecar made history when it took GT2 class victories at both the 12 Hours of Sebring and the 24 Hours of Le Mans back in 2006. More recently, the company had been focusing its energies on a revolutionary new front-engine LMP1 design called Abruzzi to compete with the field of mid-engine rivals. Reports from the motorsport world, however, now indicate that Panoz has aborted the Abruzzi project in favor of a new GT2 program. But as we all know, GT racers are based on road cars, and that's exactly what Panoz appears to have in the works.

According to Autosport, Panoz decided against a purpose-built racing prototype in favor of a road car, and from that they plan make a racing version. Exactly what the car will be like is up to speculation at this point, but we're looking forward to finding out.

Old 10-15-09, 11:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Panoz really does need to freshen their line of vehicles up a bit. The are dated and showing it
Old 10-15-09, 11:36 PM
hakienye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I laughed, I cried...ok, no crying but I laughed until tears were rolling down my cheeks!
Old 10-15-09, 11:50 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

whats so funny?????????????
Old 10-16-09, 07:26 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
whats so funny?????????????
It's a spam bot