Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Comparison vid: 2010 Audi S4 vs. 2009 335 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-09, 02:25 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Comparison vid: 2010 Audi S4 vs. 2009 335 sedan

As they say, seeing is believing.. Here is the showdown between these two sporty German saloons.. Enjoy!

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...hotopanel..1.*
Old 10-17-09, 03:28 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Wow, the A4 best the 335 in every catagories. When is the new 3 series coming out, I am sure it will one up on the S4.
Old 10-17-09, 08:36 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Wow, the A4 best the 335 in every catagories. When is the new 3 series coming out, I am sure it will one up on the S4.
it was an S4 in the test.. I dont see the point why have S4 and RS4 just get rid of S4 so it stops confusing people
Old 10-17-09, 08:48 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ Why?? I think its a good line up they offer.

A4 > S4 > RS4

IS250 > IS350 > ISF
Old 10-17-09, 09:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The price of these cars is astronomical, but the Audi is really beyond it's realm. SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS for a car that is based off a FWD entry level platform? I am not saying it's not a great car because all of the test drives have been glowing, but as has been discussed before, Audi really priced themselves into an awkward part of the market with the S4. The 335i is ten grand less and nearly matches the performance and the same can be said for an IS 350 or G37 but the price difference is even greater with those two.

For the price of the S4 I would rather have a C63, M3, or IS F, three cars which the S4 cannot even come close to...and they cost the same amount of money. If the S4 rang in somewhere around $50,000 then this would be more reasonable but when we start talking about non-RS, F, M, AMG versions of entry level sedans at sixty big ones I just can't swallow that. The 335i is big bucks at $50grand but does far more to justify the price.

If it was my money it would be put somewhere else.
Old 10-17-09, 09:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The price of these cars is astronomical, but the Audi is really beyond it's realm. SIXTY THOUSAND DOLLARS for a car that is based off a FWD entry level platform? I am not saying it's not a great car because all of the test drives have been glowing, but as has been discussed before, Audi really priced themselves into an awkward part of the market with the S4. The 335i is ten grand less and nearly matches the performance and the same can be said for an IS 350 or G37 but the price difference is even greater with those two.

For the price of the S4 I would rather have a C63, M3, or IS F, three cars which the S4 cannot even come close to...and they cost the same amount of money. If the S4 rang in somewhere around $50,000 then this would be more reasonable but when we start talking about non-RS, F, M, AMG versions of entry level sedans at sixty big ones I just can't swallow that. The 335i is big bucks at $50grand but does far more to justify the price.

Seriously, its like a TL AWD with options being $60,000. I do feel the S4 is more "special" than the 335 but 60k? It starts very aggresively at 45k but options make the price skyrocket.

CTS-V anyone? They have 5k rebates as well right now.

Why is the G37x not included in these comparisons? Seriously?

Old 10-18-09, 02:24 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I was telling my wife that I would actually consider a CTSV despite my hate for American cars because of the insane performance bargain. If I had to buy an american car it would be the ctsv
Old 10-18-09, 06:51 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

The 335's price can get in the $60k ball park also for a non convertible model.. Heck my 335 is $54k+ and I did not even order the $3k+ M sport package, and other tid bits.. Sure it is M3, IS-F, CTS-V territory but people buy what they feel suits their needs & desires..
Old 10-18-09, 02:11 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

The article mentions quite clearly the pricing discrepancy you speak of is blown out of proportion when each vehicle is optioned up similarly. Good luck trying to find an M3 or C63 for $60,000.
Old 10-18-09, 02:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Why is the G37x not included in these comparisons? Seriously?
That is a good question, G37x should have been included.

Originally Posted by FKL
The article mentions quite clearly the pricing discrepancy you speak of is blown out of proportion when each vehicle is optioned up similarly. Good luck trying to find an M3 or C63 for $60,000.
Similarly optioned to the S4 in the article, you can get an ISF for roughly 62K MSRP, a C63 for about 64K MSRP, and an M3 for roughly 62K MSRP.

Plus, what about other competitors that (will) undoubtedly improve. This S4 is quite new, but soon we will have a redesigned 3 Series, IS, and Infiniti G that will likely all offer more performance, reducing the value of the S4 even more.
Old 10-18-09, 03:19 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
That is a good question, G37x should have been included.
The purpose was to compare two German sport sedans, as made clear in the offset.

Originally Posted by fantasy
Similarly optioned to the S4 in the article, you can get an ISF for roughly 62K MSRP, a C63 for about 64K MSRP, and an M3 for roughly 62K MSRP.
Similarly optioned, you can get a CC for $10,000 less than an A4. The S4 can be had at roughly the same price as a similarly equipped 335i. They got a test car loaded to the hilt with features that even the IS-F doesn't have (Audi Drive select, torque vectoring AWD, 3RD GEN MMI, 500 watt B&O, etc.).

Plus, what about other competitors that (will) undoubtedly improve. This S4 is quite new, but soon we will have a redesigned 3 Series, IS, and Infiniti G that will likely all offer more performance, reducing the value of the S4 even more.
All cars have different development cycles. I don't use this excuse to disparage or neglect a car. Am I suppose to chastise Toyota everytime a new Camry is released because I know "a new Accord" is 2 years away? IMO that's too loose to encapsulate any reasonable argument.

Last edited by FKL; 10-18-09 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 03:44 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

I will have to test drive this new S4. Audi is on the move!
Old 10-18-09, 05:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Audi is really stepping it up. This is good, because this will force BMW and others alike to step up their games. Competition is good.
Old 10-18-09, 07:36 PM
S8B
Lead Lap

The S4 is an amazing car, but 10k too expensive (imo).

At anything over 50k, it just doesn't feel as attractive.
Old 10-18-09, 07:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
The S4 can be had at roughly the same price as a similarly equipped 335i. They got a test car loaded to the hilt with features that even the IS-F doesn't have (Audi Drive select, torque vectoring AWD, 3RD GEN MMI, 500 watt B&O, etc.).
The IS-F also has some features the S4 does not have. Thus, I stated similarly equipped, not identically equipped. There are also features you can get on an M3 or C63 that you cannot get on an S4.

Quick Reply: Comparison vid: 2010 Audi S4 vs. 2009 335 sedan