Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

The return of the CSL by BMW times two?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-09, 02:38 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up The return of the CSL by BMW times two?

There are two models being tested by BMW around the Nordschliefe & on the Autobaun.. A modified 1 series & a modified E92 M3.. Both cars are sporting CSL style wheels carbon fiber addition on the 1 series, and modified body work. Could it be the return of the CSL x 2 for BMW or GT4 variants.. You be the judge..
Vid of the M3????? in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPyLZ...layer_embedded

M3 CSL?

Spy Shots: BMW Working On High-Performance M3 GT?

By Viknesh Vijayenthiran Viknesh Vijayenthiran, Author, October 14th, 2009

December 31st, 1969 BMW's M3 has undergone a huge evolution since its birth with the E30 3-series. Growing in size, power and cylinder count, the latest M3 hardly bears any resemblance to its forbears. And soon BMW may push the envelope even further with a new high-performance version of the already extreme car possibly on the way. During the mid-1990s, BMW released a special version of the M3 Coupe called the M3 GT. The cars were essentially a homologation series special built to allow the E36 M3 to compete in the FIA-GT class II, IMSA GT and other international long distance races. These latest spy shots depicting an M3 Coupe packing some race car elements, such as the front bumper with bigger air intakes and the oversized rear wing. This is not a race car, however, as indicated by the Munich registration on the car’s number plate. Back in July, the head of BMW's M Division, Dr. Kay Segler, hinted on a production version of the current M3 GT4, so this could be the first prototypes of that vehicle. The M3 GT4 contested this year's 24 Hour Nurburgring endurance race through BMW's Customer Racing program, and the M Division was previously considering the car for limited production so that more entry-level race teams could use it for competition.
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...formance-m3-gt

Last edited by DASHOCKER; 10-17-09 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-17-09, 02:44 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

1 Series CSL?

We are looking at either an M1 (unlikely) or the rumored 1-series supersport (similar to the BMW M3 CSL) - a 1-series utilizing lightweight materials and specific options aimed at the enthusiast, which are not within the BMW Performance catalog.

The F20 will debut (3/5 door hatch) 18 months before the current coupe is sent out to pasture- this will be a performance edition to keep the interest up and current (much like the ZHP on the E46).

This will be a CSL like car- not badged CSL (possibly Csi or tii). This will preview the Super Sports edition that will be introduced in the next generation and be the high end coupe model.

The performance and lightweight components on this car will not be options on "regular" models and will not be based on BMW Performance accessories.

Testing currently is a CF roof, hood, and trunk- Special lightweight (BBS) wheels, new highly bolstered seats and Light Weight glass. Engine is still TBA and in testing.
Old 10-17-09, 03:23 PM
Vantage_6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really excited about the 1 series since it was supposed to be a lightweight/great handling/fairly priced BMW. Unfortunately it turned into a bit of a porker!
Old 10-17-09, 03:55 PM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

Wow, hopefully we see a 1series CSL [ i doubt they would ever call it the M1]

I wouldnt mind the look and the girlishness of the 1 series if it was like a CSL.
Old 10-17-09, 06:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I won't make any judgements until there is more information. Some sources are reporting that 1 Series is actually a development mule for the next-gen 1 Series.

That 3 Series is supposed to be a "CSL" style car, not named CSL.
Old 10-17-09, 07:03 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Holy Fender flare on the 1 series..
Old 10-17-09, 07:10 PM
LexFather

Bring it BMW!!!

Old 10-18-09, 02:16 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to give BMW respect for producing spicy versions of their already spicy vehicles