Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fun Daily Driver Around $35k..What would you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 06:55 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

For all weather traction & those fierce NYC winters..
Porshe 911 Carerra 4 (excellent prices now)
Audi S4 cabrio (rare beauty)
Audi TT-S
335XI (don't be afraid)
328XI (turtle boat.. toot toot but it moves)
Old 10-18-09, 07:19 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Here is a vid for you op.. Try this in a rear drive coupe in the middle of a NYC winter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA5jkzQZ8h8
Old 10-18-09, 08:50 AM
Vantage_6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Caymen (either version) would be my choice, assuming top notch handling/steering/braking combined with fun to drive are important attributes. Having owned Boxster and Boxster S's both are very rewarding cars.
Cheers! Did you get a chance to attempt any DIY maintenance/repairs on it?

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I vote for the E46 M3.

What about a 370Z?
Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would say get yourself a used late model 350Z or go all out and just get a new 370Z. You will fall in love and will be amazed at the kind of *** you will be able to kick on the streets. As a former Nissan freak I have to say I have massive respect for the durability and strength of their VQ motors. They are bullet proof and are lots of fun no matter what platform they are in
Not a fan of the styling of the 370....the 350z is not bad but the interior really isn't for me.

Originally Posted by NO1ZX6R
Since you seem to like BMW's have you considered the M5 or 540i Sport? There are also a few Mercedes AMG models that could be had for $35k; or you could get a very nice NSX, Supra TT or 300ZXTT for that money as well. I can't help but throw those out there as I love the classic Japanese hot rods! And they're very reliable if they've been kept up well-for $35k you could find one that has been.
I have actually, and if I needed the space I would be in an e39 540i sport-6speed *drool*. Amazing sedans, absolutely gorgeous and great power but I would like a smaller vehicle to drive daily for now. My very close friend has an older Supra TT and i LOVE the old japanese hot rods but I'd prefer to have something with a more updated interior/gadgets.

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
For all weather traction & those fierce NYC winters..
Porshe 911 Carerra 4 (excellent prices now)
Audi S4 cabrio (rare beauty)
Audi TT-S
335XI (don't be afraid)
328XI (turtle boat.. toot toot but it moves)
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Here is a vid for you op.. Try this in a rear drive coupe in the middle of a NYC winter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oA5jkzQZ8h8
Wow, that is a pretty impressive video...thanks for posting that. I've driven through similar stuff with my RX and felt unsure about traction so that is IMPRESSIVE! I'll be using the car in Ontario so the winters are identical to the harsh NY ones

Friend of mine took me for a ride in his 996 C4 and it's just not for me. Fantastic car, and I'd LOVE to have a 997 but the 996 chassis just isn't for me (993 is a diff story but thats hardly daily driver material).

I hate the way Audis drive personally (driving feel vs porsche/bmw )
TT-S' seem a little out of my price range..nice cars but I want to be somewhat sensible with this purchase in terms of money....

That video is impressive though. I am worried about the 335's issues though because my friend just ordered an 09 this April and is already on his 2nd HPFP. Sure the warranty has been extended but do I really want the hassle of having start up issues when I've got a make-it-or-break-it meeting to speed to?

I really appreciate all your suggestions and I'm really blessed to have this "problem" of deciding. I guess I'm gonna have to test drive the Xdrive coupes during a snowfall to see if it's worth it to go that route.

Otherwise the RWD options are gorgeous and plentiful!

Last edited by Vantage_6; 10-18-09 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-18-09, 09:11 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vantage_6

Wow, that is a pretty impressive video...thanks for posting that. I've driven through similar stuff with my RX and felt unsure about traction so that is IMPRESSIVE!

Friend of mine took me for a ride in his 996 C4 and it's just not for me. Fantastic car, and I'd LOVE to have a 997 but the 996 chassis just isn't for me (993 is a diff story but thats hardly daily driver material).

I hate the way Audis drive personally (driving feel vs porsche/bmw )
TT-S' seem a little out of my price range..nice cars but I want to be somewhat sensible with this purchase in terms of money....

That video is impressive though. I am worried about the 335's issues though because my friend just ordered an 09 this April and is already on his 2nd HPFP. Sure the warranty has been extended but do I really want the hassle of having start up issues when I've got a make-it-or-break-it meeting to speed to?

I really appreciate all your suggestions and I'm really blessed to have this "problem" of deciding. I guess I'm gonna have to test drive the Xdrive coupes during a snowfall to see if it's worth it to go that route.

Otherwise the RWD options are gorgeous and plentiful!
Yes that vid speaks for itself.. I am all about the visual rather than hearsay.. I am on my 2nd 335 & currently own an 09 335 xdrive coupe (6/09 build) which is a keeper. No complaints & no hpfp issues during my time with these cars. It is an excellent drive & destroys many cars on the straight and in the corners (Jackie Robinson Pkwy). I am one who does not succomb to doom & gloom stories. If you take care of a car, it will take care of you for years to come.

The Porshe 997 can be had for well under 35k believe it or not.. Just look at these low mileage examples in my area.. If Porshe is your dream machine, then go for it!

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/search...=1255882172305
Old 10-18-09, 09:39 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I would say get yourself a used late model 350Z or go all out and just get a new 370Z. You will fall in love and will be amazed at the kind of *** you will be able to kick on the streets. As a former Nissan freak I have to say I have massive respect for the durability and strength of their VQ motors. They are bullet proof and are lots of fun no matter what platform they are in
+1... just drove a Nismo, AMAZING!!!!

Out of OP's group, Cayman S (a must over standard Cayman) first, 328x second
Old 10-18-09, 10:22 AM
Vantage_6
Driver School Candidate

I really want to avoid modding with this car but I'll share a few images of how the car would look after I gave it a few tweeks (rims/drop/minor colour matched items)

VS

VS

I'll likely be getting whatever car I get in black or dark (navy) blue.
Thoughts opinions?
Old 10-18-09, 10:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Porsche in ocean metallic blue (a beautiful dark blue metallic) with savanna beige interior looks first rate.
Old 10-18-09, 01:33 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

How about a SRT8 Charger? They are reliable and fun
Old 10-19-09, 01:22 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

Its a shame you don't like the styling of the 370 but we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Out of your choices, I think the Cayman is the best bet for your fun "factor".

Really, I don't think you can wrong with a E46 or a Cayman, both are amazing cars either way.

Have you tried test driving all these cars to see which one you feel the best with?
Old 10-19-09, 09:12 AM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I would go with a CLK550, 380hp and comparable torque! It will eat the M3's and 335i's for breakfast!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z6H156zONE
Old 10-19-09, 09:24 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vantage_6
Cheers! Did you get a chance to attempt any DIY maintenance/repairs on it?
None, and IMHO I don't think self-maintenance is practical with these cars. Since I only drove the car a few thousand miles a year as weekend toy, my main service expense was the annual $170 oil change (Mobil 1).
Old 10-19-09, 09:43 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bad co
I would go with a CLK550, 380hp and comparable torque! It will eat the M3's and 335i's for breakfast!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z6H156zONE
LOL.. Are you sure about that? 380hp is great on paper.. I will leave it at that..

Op.. Is this serious or just for internet kicks? I know this is the internet... You just seem to be all over the place with what you seek for a Canadian daily..
Old 10-19-09, 10:17 AM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Infiniti G37
Old 10-19-09, 12:20 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

CLK550? Didn't the OP say he was looking for something fun to drive?
Old 10-19-09, 12:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

If you can stretch the coupe requirement to 4 doors, consider a Subaru WRX or STI. With winter tires, it will definitely go in the snow (but don't try that with the stock summer-only, dry-pavement rubber).

Quick Reply: Fun Daily Driver Around $35k..What would you have?