Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fun Daily Driver Around $35k..What would you have?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-09, 03:21 PM
Vantage_6
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Fun Daily Driver Around $35k..What would you have?

Hey guys, I'm just starting my search for a fun daily driver. I am in no rush but I would prefer to have my vehicle IN my garage before winter is over.

I’m looking for a daily driver but after driving a Lexus SUV for a while I am ready to make a more 'emotional puchase'. I only put about 13 000 miles on my cars/year. I am pretty flexible with my price range but I would prefer to keep the purchase around 35K(CAD) [or 30k(USD) if I decide to swing south of the border where many of you are!] Whatever car I buy I’ll be running to the ground (6+yrs of ownership) so my main concerns are:

- Coupe (2 seaters acceptable)
- Relatively reliable (MUST be capable in snow when I throw winter tires on)
- Fun to Drive (prefer manual but would buy an auto if I got a good deal)
- Reasonable to maintain (fair on gas/insurance/yearly maint costs)

Cars in contention right now:
04+ E46 M3 (Timeless design with decent gas consumption)

Porsche Cayman (Don't think I'd make use of the S' extra power/brakes etc)

07+ E92 328i or 328xi (Sensible 3 series...335i seems like trouble down the line due to the HPFP issues and my lack of confidence in first gen turbocharged engines)

I'm not a huge fan of the Nissan 350/370z Or the Infiniti G lineup so you can leave those out of your suggestions . Also I'd love an IS if they had an aggressive coupe version..alas they haven't built one yet

I know a lot of you share my passion for cars so feel free to share your insight.

Much Appreciated
Old 10-17-09, 05:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd go for a used and well-maintained 'Vette.

As a daily driver? Why not?
Old 10-17-09, 05:20 PM
Vantage_6
Driver School Candidate

Vettes are great....but I don't know how confident I'd be driving one in winter..
Old 10-17-09, 05:23 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Vantage_6
Vettes are great....but I don't know how confident I'd be driving one in winter..
because his other choices are gonna be winter-capable?
Old 10-17-09, 05:50 PM
Vantage_6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Matador
because his other choices are gonna be winter-capable?
To my knowledge they are
Bmw did their winter performance training with the E46 M
Porsche Caymans were used for similar classes
328xi is fantastic in the snow

I just have my doubts (maybe unfounded) about 400 torque in an american rwd sports car in winter.
Old 10-17-09, 05:59 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Even if BMW did do winter performance training using E46 M3s, that is not a great winter car. I would only choose that if you are a very skilled winter driver.

A 328xi would probably be your best choice in the snow, but I really like Porsches so I personally would probably choose a Cayman out of the cars listed here.
Old 10-17-09, 07:01 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

You can get a Cayman for 35k
Old 10-17-09, 07:39 PM
LexFather

If you get the Cayman, the S is what you want...if anything the chassis feels like it can handle more and more power. Porsche handicaps it so the 911 can remain on top but the Cayman S is simply superb.

VEtte is a great choice.

M3 is another great choice and makes more "daily" sense with a big trunk and rear seats.

Old 10-17-09, 08:33 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Buy 328i Coupe the car looks great and should handle pretty well in the snow. You will have to search a bit to find one used though.
Old 10-17-09, 08:36 PM
xioix
Racer

What is your definition of relatively reliable?
Old 10-17-09, 09:04 PM
Vantage_6
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Even if BMW did do winter performance training using E46 M3s, that is not a great winter car. I would only choose that if you are a very skilled winter driver.

A 328xi would probably be your best choice in the snow, but I really like Porsches so I personally would probably choose a Cayman out of the cars listed here.
Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
If you get the Cayman, the S is what you want...if anything the chassis feels like it can handle more and more power. Porsche handicaps it so the 911 can remain on top but the Cayman S is simply superb.

VEtte is a great choice.

M3 is another great choice and makes more "daily" sense with a big trunk and rear seats.
These are all valid points....I have heard about Porsche purposely making the cayman 'capable to a point' so that it doesn't interfere with the 911's position in the porsche hierarchy. I have a great mechanic I can go to for cayman maintenance so I wouldn't mind the idea of one for daily duties and the occasional auto-x/back-road run.

Originally Posted by lamar411
Buy 328i Coupe the car looks great and should handle pretty well in the snow. You will have to search a bit to find one used though.
I've heard some really great reviews for the 328i (My only gripe with the 328 is the lack of power (230hp?) Seems adequate for DD but hardly 'fun-power')

I have time on my side, and I am fairly confident I can find a decent example of either car within the next few months

Originally Posted by xioix
What is your definition of relatively reliable?
Well I want to avoid a car that would leave me late for work in the morning/having to use another car because it's in service so often. (Basically I want to avoid any vintage cars/early Porsche 911s/early muscle cars or any other creative.....but not so sensible purchases)
I don't mind maintenance as long as it can be sorted out without interfering with my lifestyle (ie if there IS an issue it must be able to be sorted out in a reasonably short span of time.)
Old 10-17-09, 11:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caymen (either version) would be my choice, assuming top notch handling/steering/braking combined with fun to drive are important attributes. Having owned Boxster and Boxster S's both are very rewarding cars.

Last edited by IS-SV; 10-17-09 at 11:33 PM.
Old 10-18-09, 01:38 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I vote for the E46 M3.

What about a 370Z?
Old 10-18-09, 01:49 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I would say get yourself a used late model 350Z or go all out and just get a new 370Z. You will fall in love and will be amazed at the kind of *** you will be able to kick on the streets. As a former Nissan freak I have to say I have massive respect for the durability and strength of their VQ motors. They are bullet proof and are lots of fun no matter what platform they are in
Old 10-18-09, 06:23 AM
NO1ZX6R
Rookie

Since you seem to like BMW's have you considered the M5 or 540i Sport? There are also a few Mercedes AMG models that could be had for $35k; or you could get a very nice NSX, Supra TT or 300ZXTT for that money as well. I can't help but throw those out there as I love the classic Japanese hot rods! And they're very reliable if they've been kept up well-for $35k you could find one that has been.

Quick Reply: Fun Daily Driver Around $35k..What would you have?