Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-10, 09:46 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och

Next I went to drive the RX. It is a gorgeous looking SUV on the outside, but once I opened the door I was immediately disappointed by the interior. There are some joints that don't line up, some gaps that are too big, and the whole interior just doesn't have that precise fit and finish I expect from Lexus. The dashboard is finished in vinyl, but it's grain look like the grain on cheap hard plastic. The leather quality is nice - its butter smooth, but overall I didn't like the design of interior. In my opinion the old RX interior was classier and more luxurious, although it had the silly minivan style seat mounted handrests. The new one has a proper center console mounted handrest. Seating comfort in the RX didn't impress me much either. The seat was a bit too tight, and it wouldn't go down enough for my preferred driving position. On the road, it was even more disappointing. The engine was allright, however the exhaust note was rather annoying. The suspension was very "jumpy", each bump felt like I drove over it three times, and the car felt like a loose bucket of bolts. In addition the rear seat was shaking and making this awful, terrible rattling noise. I don't know if the rear seat was the only source of rattling, but it was most certainly the loudest. The rattling noise on the interior was absolutely unacceptable even for a cheap, beat up minivan, never mind a luxury SUV. I was so grossly disappointed that I couldn't wait to return this piece of junk. My wife didn't even bother driving it after me, she said she was fairly comfortable in the back, but didn't care for the interior or the ride quality. She didn't bother driving it, so I didn't get a chance to ride in the back myself. I'm sorry about being so harsh guys, I love Lexus, but this car IMO is a disgrace to them. I never liked the old RX, and I really, really, really WANTED to like this one, but I would be lying if I say I did.

you are spot on with the new RX's interior and driving dynamic. My brother bought one recently, and the interior put me off. We have LS460, IS350, and had LX470s in our family, and this 2010RX has by far, lowest interior quality. Also, this is the only Lexus we had that wasn't build in Japan. Not sure if that's anything to do with that or we are too spoiled with the excellent build quality of the LS460. But there's definitely something not too Lexus-ish about the RX's interior. Kinda reminds me of those cheesy Buick's interiors.

In terms of driving dynamic, the car seems stiff yet feel like it's all over the place. not sure what's going on. it really doesn't absorb the bumps like the LS, and doesn't have the solid characters of the X5 4.8 I had.

Then again, I could be really spoiled by having a M3, and driving LS460. who knows.
Old 09-28-10, 10:34 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very good review dude. Well done. The new Caddys are very well done.
Thanks Mike. I actually posted my review and then went ahead and re-read yours, from nearly a year ago, and found that our opinion on certain things were exactly the same. For instance the ***** gear shifter in BMW, and flimsy, poorly placed turn signal/cruise control switch in the Mercedes. I too found myself hitting the cruise control switch in the Merc instead of the turn signal.
Old 09-28-10, 10:35 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SC_coupe
Thanks for the review. Well-done as always.

However, I disagree with the SRX being an attractive vehicle. There is far too much resemblance to other GM Theta platform vehicles. To me its a little too obvious that its a Caddy version of the Equinox to justify the price.
I don't find it particularly good looking on the outside. But then its an SUV, and most of them aren't attractive, with RX being a rare exception. However on the interior, the SRX shines.
Old 09-28-10, 10:53 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by STIG
you are spot on with the new RX's interior and driving dynamic. My brother bought one recently, and the interior put me off. We have LS460, IS350, and had LX470s in our family, and this 2010RX has by far, lowest interior quality. Also, this is the only Lexus we had that wasn't build in Japan. Not sure if that's anything to do with that or we are too spoiled with the excellent build quality of the LS460. But there's definitely something not too Lexus-ish about the RX's interior. Kinda reminds me of those cheesy Buick's interiors.

In terms of driving dynamic, the car seems stiff yet feel like it's all over the place. not sure what's going on. it really doesn't absorb the bumps like the LS, and doesn't have the solid characters of the X5 4.8 I had.

Then again, I could be really spoiled by having a M3, and driving LS460. who knows.
Thats pretty much how I felt about the RX. I wouldn't mind if it was just soft and floaty - nobody buys such vehicle for sportiness. But the suspension was fairly stiff, and at the same time it had a horrible rebounce when hitting bumps, and during the rebounce the car felt all over the place with no control.

And interior, while most of the materials were OK or even pretty good, the assembly quality and precision seemed worthy of an old Chrysler. I felt that the old RX was assembled better.
Old 09-28-10, 01:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Thats pretty much how I felt about the RX. I wouldn't mind if it was just soft and floaty - nobody buys such vehicle for sportiness. But the suspension was fairly stiff, and at the same time it had a horrible rebounce when hitting bumps, and during the rebounce the car felt all over the place with no control.
Good point about RX ride/handling, so typical of most CUVs, compromised in that department. They all have to deal with customer desire to have decent ride/handling, combined the unfavorable aspects including a tall center of gravity and a need for significant load hauling capacity.
Old 09-28-10, 03:30 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I would have to disagree with the turn signal stalk/cruise control on the benz. That is how they have positioned it for the past 50+ years. Its only cause we are so used to the position on the Lexus that we keep hitting the cruise control stalk. This isnt a flaw, its just that we arent comfortable with the position. When I first got my C, I did the same thing but then eventually got the hang of it.

And while I disagree about the RX interior too, I cant discount say anything cause its your opinion
Old 09-28-10, 03:43 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF

And while I disagree about the RX interior too, I cant discount say anything cause its your opinion
I find the fit and finish of my RX interior excellent.The only things I don't like about the RX interior is the center dash silver a/c vent area and the lack of a overhead sunglasses holder.
Old 09-28-10, 08:03 PM
LexFather

The 3RX dash/console is challenging. It is simply not traditional and looks quite artistic compared to most dashes. In the process the traditional "wood" is lost. I think due to the curves they had to use plastic that well curves. Thus there is a lot of plastic.

To me though the 3RX is substantially better built than the previous RXs. There is a higher feeling of quality to me.

Old 09-28-10, 09:29 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Thanks Mike. I actually posted my review and then went ahead and re-read yours, from nearly a year ago, and found that our opinion on certain things were exactly the same. For instance the ***** gear shifter in BMW, and flimsy, poorly placed turn signal/cruise control switch in the Mercedes. I too found myself hitting the cruise control switch in the Merc instead of the turn signal.
Count me in with both you and Mike on that one.....my feelings exactly. That BMW electronic-shifter does indeed s**k, and almost every new M-B product I've tried in the last few years (incliding the new 2011 GLK I recently reviewed) had the same screwed-up design, on the left side of the steering-column, with the turn-signal and cruise-control levers. Otherwise, though, I was very impressed with both the new GLK and the Audi Q5...I could see myself owning a Q5.
Old 09-29-10, 04:45 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
The 3RX dash/console is challenging. It is simply not traditional and looks quite artistic compared to most dashes. In the process the traditional "wood" is lost. I think due to the curves they had to use plastic that well curves. Thus there is a lot of plastic.

To me though the 3RX is substantially better built than the previous RXs. There is a higher feeling of quality to me.

Sherwood Innovations makes wood dash kits for auto manufacturers and has one for the '10 RX350.Not real wood but matches well from what I've read.I bought a kit for my Camry.Nice kit even with factory print on dial areas.
I thought of buying 3-4 pieces to add to the RX dash.Two being the shifter area and maybe the center silver area but I haven't pulled the trigger.
Adding the whole wood dash kit would really be too way to much.
Check all the pieces and pics here.
http://www.sherwoodinnovations.com/S...D-3865&tbrow=0

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-29-10 at 04:48 AM.
Old 09-29-10, 05:14 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Sherwood Innovations makes wood dash kits for auto manufacturers and has one for the '10 RX350.Not real wood but matches well from what I've read.I bought a kit for my Camry.Nice kit even with factory print on dial areas.
I thought of buying 3-4 pieces to add to the RX dash.Two being the shifter area and maybe the center silver area but I haven't pulled the trigger.
Adding the whole wood dash kit would really be too way to much.
Check all the pieces and pics here.
http://www.sherwoodinnovations.com/S...D-3865&tbrow=0
Joe, I don't recommend it. This stuff starts to peel off, and doesn't always fit very well. Look at this pic on their own website, you could see it doesn't fit properly.

http://www.sherwoodinnovations.com/Photos/3865-WM6.jpg
Old 09-29-10, 05:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Joe, I don't recommend it. This stuff starts to peel off, and doesn't always fit very well. Look at this pic on their own website, you could see it doesn't fit properly.

http://www.sherwoodinnovations.com/Photos/3865-WM6.jpg
Yeah,I'm going to pass,Och.
Just can't go from real wood to plastic on the RX and want the fit to be perfect.
The flat pieces do have more of a tendency to lift up.I have the oem color molded kit on the Camry which stays put better but is ok for the Camry and I have to say the fit is very good.
The mistake I made with the Camry is putting the pieces on the right and left corner A/C vents you can't see here.Otherwise I'm very happy with the kit.

Old 09-29-10, 10:10 AM
RXSF

i tend to like silver accents. IMO there isnt a lack of wood on the center dash of the RX, the 2gen already had huge amounts of silver plastic. Its the doors that are lacking.
Old 09-29-10, 10:24 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
i tend to like silver accents. IMO there isnt a lack of wood on the center dash of the RX, the 2gen already had huge amounts of silver plastic. Its the doors that are lacking.
The last gen RX has wood in the shifter area up to under the radio.It looked better,IMO.
I agree with you on the doors are lacking wood accent.The last gen has that strip across the door which was nicer than only the switch area of the '10's.
Old 09-29-10, 03:50 PM
RXSF

I dont have a wood steering wheel/shift **** so I only have the piece of wood around the shifter gate, and not where the heated seats are. The new RX definitely has a minimalistic design.

Quick Reply: 1SICKREVIEW: Cadillac SRX driving event (X5, GLK, RX)