Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Fifth Gear show grinds to a halt..

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-09, 08:31 PM
LexFather

Red face Fifth Gear show grinds to a halt..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...elevision.html

Fifth Gear host Vicki Butler-Henderson has been forced into the pits, with TV bosses confirming the show has been axed.

The channel Five programme was regarded as the main competitor to BBC2’s Top Gear.

Butler-Henderson, 37, had been an integral part of it since it was launched seven years ago.

But the latest series, which ended in July, never attracted more than a million viewers and Five decided it should be the last.

A source at the station claimed the decision had nothing to do with budget cuts. It is likelier its failure to make it on to the list of Five’s top 30 watched programmes had a negative impact on advertising revenue.

Fifth Gear first aired in 2002 after the original incarnation of Top Gear was ‘rested’ in 2001 due to poor ratings.

Several former Top Gear presenters, including Butler-Henderson were hired by Five to present the show.

The self-confessed tomboy raced karts as a child and competed in Formula First.

As one of the few high-profile women motoring experts, she is not likely to be off the circuit for long. Her husband Phil Churchward is series director of Top Gear.

Five said it was proud of Fifth Gear but that it was ‘time to try something new’.

Old 10-18-09, 08:44 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not a Fifth Gear fan, but I acknowledge that it was among the better motoring shows out there and therefore it is a shame it's been axed.
Old 10-18-09, 08:45 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Definitely a big shame, will miss that show.
Old 10-18-09, 08:47 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Final gear was more sensible than Top gear when it comes to car reviews. But it doesn't changed the fact that I felt bored throughout the show. I definitely didn't like the corny Cheapskate Alternative.
Old 10-18-09, 08:54 PM
legit
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSteg
Final gear was more sensible than Top gear when it comes to car reviews. But it doesn't changed the fact that I felt bored throughout the show. I definitely didn't like the corny Cheapskate Alternative.
Final Gear is where you get Fifth Gear

But I agree with you completely. The show although good was still boring for the most part. I personally found the presenters annoying with the exception of Jason and Tiff who are rather fun to watch as they seem to genuinely like cars.

The two hosts tried WAY too hard to be funny and ended up being lame/corny. Jonny was probably the most boring of them all.

However, it is a shame the show has to come to an end. I enjoyed Tiff/Jason's versus and the like.
Old 10-18-09, 08:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

With all the rumors of politically correct ***** trying to force a woman presenter onto the Top Gear show, I hope she doesn't end up becoming a fourth Top Gear presented in the future. That will effectively spell the doom of Top Gear.

Before everyone jumps me, I don't have problem with women, its just that I can't stand Vicki in particular.
Old 10-18-09, 09:51 PM
Haitwun
Pole Position

NO!!! I love Fifth Gear! It was the best sensible car show. Now what am I going to do? What is going to happen to Tiff, Jason and the fat guy with the beard?
Old 10-18-09, 10:05 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tiff was the best thing about that show. I'm sure he'll turn up somewhere.
Old 10-19-09, 03:38 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A pity. I do like Fifth Gear as it's a nice break from Top Gear. Don't get me wrong, Top Gear is fun to watch but it's nice to see a different perspective from Fifth Gear (and besides, watch the skills of Tiff and Vicki... although there has been less Vicki recently).
Old 10-19-09, 05:28 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,437 Likes on 1,598 Posts

Originally Posted by legit
I personally found the presenters annoying with the exception of Jason and Tiff who are rather fun to watch as they seem to genuinely like cars.

The two hosts tried WAY too hard to be funny and ended up being lame/corny. Jonny was probably the most boring of them all.
yes, good car people, but LOUSY presenters.
Old 10-19-09, 07:00 PM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where will Tiff go
Old 10-19-09, 07:21 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I will miss the more realistic and sensible presentation style, the discussion of details rather than stunts (depending on episode).
Old 10-19-09, 11:00 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

i never cared for the show. this is good new for top gear fans, i dont think bbc will axe it now that there is no competition
Old 10-19-09, 11:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The show just didnt have that Top Gear flare, humor, all out insanity, or what seems like a truely endless budget
Old 10-20-09, 09:03 AM
LexFather

I don't want every show to be like Top Gear. I miss it and it sure as hell is better than our Autoweek.

Quick Reply: Fifth Gear show grinds to a halt..