LFA Model (2012)

Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 10:39 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 533 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so you are saying the convertible / roadster we have seen is just that -- concept?

and how about lfa-r that there have been info about?
Yes concept only. There are no plans to build that.

No talk of LFA -R either. If it one does ever come, I would be very surprised.
Old 10-22-09, 10:40 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
so you are saying the convertible / roadster we have seen is just that -- concept?

and how about lfa-r that there have been info about?
I think it's just the more circuit-suited version that was mentioned in many of the articles about the car ...
Additional models

Model with special colour selection and model tuned to be more circuit-suited
(production of both to begin at start of 2012)
http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a...tml?view=print

I am interested to know more about it, is it lighter ? have more hp ? etc., ......
Old 10-22-09, 10:41 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
Thanks Flipside.

Could you also comment of the slow speed livability thing? I read a review mentioning that the tranny is not great for slow speed/reverse use like parking (the reviewer sounded just like the stuff I read for back when the Ferrari 360 came out).
I'm going to let Flipside respond on this but if it's anything like the e-Gear we see in Lamborghini or the F1 we see in Ferrari, it struggles in reverse, more particularly whilst going uphill (like parking on a hill). It is also jittery around town... but I'd have to say it's not worse than someone driving a supercar stick. I found the e-Gear on the R8 quite jumpy around town but I soon realized that I was no better than the computer at keeping it from bogging around.
Old 10-22-09, 10:45 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99

I won't mind having that roadster concept turned into the next SC though, with the same headlights as the concept
Oh man, that would be sweet. This will be the closest thing to the LFA
Old 10-22-09, 10:48 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Thanks Flipside.

Could you also comment of the slow speed livability thing? I read a review mentioning that the tranny is not great for slow speed/reverse use like parking (the reviewer sounded just like the stuff I read for back when the Ferrari 360 came out).
I did not get to drive the car in the regular AUTO, NORM or WET modes. The morning group before us got a chance to sample WET mode as there was a heavy down pour in the Homestead area.

The trans shift is pretty jerky but I had it in SPORT mode at the fastest gear shift setting. The shift speed adjustability allows the driver to control the transmission shift speed (clutch engagement) from leisurely to full on quickness.

The car does have a power park button very similar to what the Lexus/Toyota hybrid's use. In order to engage the car into gear, you start off in neutral by holding back both paddles. To get into first, you simply pull back on the right shift paddle to 1 and press the accellerator. The computer will automatically engage the clutch as it senses throttle being applied.

Reverse is actuated via a control lever on the left hand side.

I can see where it can get tricky to pull back on different levers when trying to parallel park, but it all takes getting used to from a conventional shift lever on the center console.
Old 10-22-09, 10:48 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Oh man, that would be sweet. This will be the closest thing to the LFA
I don't think they can keep the F1 like nose, but the headlights look more mean and menacing ...
Old 10-22-09, 10:49 AM
IS Addict
Driver School Candidate

Enough about features. What is it like to drive on the track?
Old 10-22-09, 10:57 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by IS Addict
Enough about features. What is it like to drive on the track?
I will elaborate that on my full eval. To sum up my sentiment on what it's like to drive on the track...it's an AMAZING machine with phenomenal braking and enormous power.
Old 10-22-09, 11:28 AM
V6lover
Driver School Candidate

Default Nice try Lexus

It's a nice try from Toyota/Lexus to make this car but honestly; if I had $400k lying around I would not buy this car, even with the exclusivity. The 458 invokes passion an emotion that the LFA does not; at least to me. It seems to be a very nice car; but it's no Ferrari; which it was built to compete against.

At that price, any car company can make the car go fast; it is the passion/emotion that cars like Ferrari/Lambo/Aston provoke that makes the car special. The LFA does not invoke those emotions. What Lexus should have done was make it less expensive with less specs/performance and price it around 100-150K, like the Audi R8. The R8 has done wonders for the audi brand.
Old 10-22-09, 11:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by flipside909
I did not get to drive the car in the regular AUTO, NORM or WET modes. The morning group before us got a chance to sample WET mode as there was a heavy down pour in the Homestead area.

The trans shift is pretty jerky but I had it in SPORT mode at the fastest gear shift setting. The shift speed adjustability allows the driver to control the transmission shift speed (clutch engagement) from leisurely to full on quickness.

The car does have a power park button very similar to what the Lexus/Toyota hybrid's use. In order to engage the car into gear, you start off in neutral by holding back both paddles. To get into first, you simply pull back on the right shift paddle to 1 and press the accellerator. The computer will automatically engage the clutch as it senses throttle being applied.

Reverse is actuated via a control lever on the left hand side.

I can see where it can get tricky to pull back on different levers when trying to parallel park, but it all takes getting used to from a conventional shift lever on the center console.
Wow, thanks......sound exotic lol

Originally Posted by V6lover
It's a nice try from Toyota/Lexus to make this car but honestly; if I had $400k lying around I would not buy this car, even with the exclusivity. The 458 invokes passion an emotion that the LFA does not; at least to me. It seems to be a very nice car; but it's no Ferrari; which it was built to compete against.

At that price, any car company can make the car go fast; it is the passion/emotion that cars like Ferrari/Lambo/Aston provoke that makes the car special. The LFA does not invoke those emotions. What Lexus should have done was make it less expensive with less specs/performance and price it around 100-150K, like the Audi R8. The R8 has done wonders for the audi brand.
Welcome to Clublexus. Every car company can make a car go fast? Odd, only a handful make a car that is like the LF-A.

Your opinion is valued but looking at your handle, I doubt you would get the LF-A or any exotic.

madmax2k1

I agree that the pricing is not what we wanted to see.

To me, the car takes everything that was great about my S2000 (except for the vert part) and fixes the stuff I did not like. The issues were; a too small cabin that was plain noisy, no torque, having to live with a clutch pedal in city traffic and no creature comforts.

My job since 99 (when I got the S2000) was to increase my income to be able to have an LFA and Toyota's job was to make the care a reality.

About the other cars mentioned, I recall the Ford GT selling out quickly and commanding high prices. The NSX only had sales issues at the end of its cycle due to H not supporting the needed updgrades to stay with the competitors (and done again by H to the S2000).

The longer tem thing with Toyota and this car is, F and P are in the sports car biz and keep fighting year in and year out. The short run for LFA leaves me wondering what Toyota will do to keep themselves in folks minds as a real sports car maker.
Exactly. Ford sold all their GTs. The NSX is a much higher volume vehicle, this is not a NSX competitor in any way. Looking at this 8949 were sold.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Production_Numbers
Old 10-22-09, 11:45 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, if they had ditched carbon fiber, it could have been cheaper. But this argument will go on in circles, and the debate on how much it costs matters mostly to those (including myself) who do not plan, or cannot afford to buy it. We all know they are pricing it as such, still losing money on each, and selling it to those whom money is no object...$700K or $400K and they don't bat an eye. A more attainable model *could* be a new SC, perhaps SC-F, but we'll see.

Flipside, I am so envious you were able to drive this machine, you changed your location to FL so I thought you had moved or something.
Old 10-22-09, 11:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
Yes, if they had ditched carbon fiber, it could have been cheaper. But this argument will go on in circles, and the debate on how much it costs matters mostly to those (including myself) who do not plan, or cannot afford to buy it. We all know they are pricing it as such, still losing money on each, and selling it to those whom money is no object...$700K or $400K and they don't bat an eye. A more attainable model *could* be a new SC, perhaps SC-F, but we'll see.

Flipside, I am so envious you were able to drive this machine, you changed your location to FL so I thought you had moved or something.
Its amazing to hear "oh they should have priced it cheaper" or "it should be 150k" when its clear the engineering in this vehicle is more than that. The engine probably is 50k alone. Big Carbon Ceramic Brakes are probably 10-15k. The Carbon Fiber shell I can't imagine how much that costs. 20" BBS wheels, I can tell you thats around 8 grand since they are so wide.

People need to remember the R8 shares BOTH its engines and the engines were in production a long time ago. This helped tremendously with keeping the R8 and R10 price very reasonable.
Old 10-22-09, 12:00 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
I will elaborate that on my full eval. To sum up my sentiment on what it's like to drive on the track...it's an AMAZING machine with phenomenal braking and enormous power.
Thanks for all the feedback and input so far.

I anxiously await your "full eval"!
Old 10-22-09, 12:06 PM
LexFather

Press Release.

Lexus announces today the official launch of the LFA, a two-seat supercar scheduled to go into production at the end of 2010 as the pinnacle of the Lexus "F" premium sports car series. Pre-sales start today.

Ultra-responsive and extremely stable even when taken to the edge, the LFA creates a sense of reassurance that opens up a new world of driving emotion, exhilarating the senses to move the driver in more ways than one.

The LFA combines high output, superb chassis design and meticulous aerodynamics to achieve instantaneous total-vehicle response characterized by high-rev, seamless acceleration echoed by a self-defining resonance from its 4.8-liter V10.

Only 500 units of the LFA are to be produced and sold worldwide.

A prototype of the LFA is now on display at the 41st Tokyo Motor Show, which is open to the general public from October 24 to November 4 at Makuhari Messe in Makuhari, Chiba Prefecture.

Strong and light

The newly developed 4.8-liter V10 engine boasts exceptional power, while lightweight materials (aluminum alloy, magnesium alloy and titanium alloy) and a very compact size (smaller than a conventional V8) allows for optimal weight distribution and an exceptional power-to-weight ratio.

Carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP) cabin enhances high body-rigidity and reduces weight. This unique cabin is 100kg lighter than a comparable aluminum cabin. Detailed analysis and precise matching of CFRP materials allows for high rigidity and low weight. LFA CFRP production technology, including unique CFRP-to-metal joining, was completely developed by Lexus.

Balanced

Relatively higher weight components such as the engine and transmission are placed within the wheelbase. A low center of gravity is made possible by the use of dry sump lubrication1, along with placing peripheral components (oil pump, water pump) behind the engine. Furthermore, optimal placement of the transmission and the fuel tank in front of the rear axle adds to this application of centralized mass. This minimizes weight shift during cornering and contributes to outstanding performance and stability. Lighter weight components, like the radiator and electric fans, are placed behind the rear axle.

Combined with a front-engine and rear-wheel-drive configuration, the short, wide and low body allows the LFA to achieve its target front-to-rear weight distribution of 48:52.

Driver-centered

The driver's seat is positioned near the LFA's center of gravity. The centralized seating concept (with the seat between the front and rear axles and closer to the left–right center) is made possible by the use of a rear transaxle and vertically stacked torque tube and exhaust pipes reducing the width of the center tunnel. The driver placement is aimed to provide maximum car-to-driver feedback, especially under sport or high G-force driving conditions.

V10 Engine

Titanium valves, ultra–light weight rocker arms with a diamond–like coating and a fully integrated lower crankcase that reduces pumping losses at high RPMs combine to provide the driver with overwhelming acceleration right up to the 9,000rpm redline. The LFA's purpose-built V10 delivers 90% of its peak torque between 3,700rpm and 9,000rpm.

Precise Response

Independent, electronically controlled throttle bodies ensure precise air-feed to each of the 10 cylinders, enabling immediate engine response from the accelerator pedal. The engine response time is approximately half the normal response time of a single-throttle valve.

The six-speed ASG transmission features heavy-duty synchronizer rings and a newly developed gearshift actuator, providing the driver with a very direct shift feel. Four selectable driving modes and a seven-stage shift-speed selector that results in upshift speeds down to 0.2 seconds provide a higher level of driver control.

Track-sized high-performance (Carbon Ceramic) CCM brake discs and Electronically Controlled Braking system generate ultra-powerful yet stable braking.

Handling and Dynamics

The very light and rigid CFRP cabin, combined with a front double-wishbone suspension and a rear multilink suspension, result in a very stable, controlled ride. Detailed aerodynamic engineering results in elements such as a flat underbody, a diffuser and a speed-controlled rear wing, which allows precise vehicle response at all vehicle speeds, thus creating unity between driver and machine.

Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management integrates numerous vehicle dynamic functions that provide a high level of vehicle stability and preventative safety without interfering with the driver's intentions, especially when sport driving.

Exciting engine sound and L-finesse2 design

Equal-length exhaust manifolds combined with an equal-length dual exhaust system routed through a multistage titanium main muffler fine tunes the exhaust note.

An acoustically tuned surge tank linked to 10 individual throttle bodies creates a powerful induction sound. The coordination of intake and exhaust sounds overlap at various RPMs to create a unique, exciting and inspired soundtrack.

The exterior design includes carefully tuned aerodynamics and airflow management. The use of CFRP, in addition to strength and weight advantages, frees up the design of the exterior panels allowing a fresh supercar L-finesse design. The interior design combines state-of-the-art instrument-panel design and technology, along with a variety of custom-tailored interior trim packages to suit the most discerning driver.
Old 10-22-09, 12:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by encore888
Here's one unique tidbit about the LFA that most people don't know. Lexus ditched the all-aluminum body idea for the LFA because it simply weighed too much. To remedy this, they selected the use of carbon fiber composites and the use of some aluminum, mainly the sub frames and certain body panels. This car's C/F was weaved by Toyota's own in house loom. There is C/F found on 2/3's of the vehicle's construction. It's amazing how well detailed the c/f is throughout the car both inside and out...including the hood prop!!!

Yeah I moved to FL for a long 48+ hours. Red eye flight out of LAX monday night, arrived in Miami early Tuesday morning, my good friend Joaquin (jruhi4) and I toured South Florida's finest Lexus dealers the rest of the day. Yesterday (Wednesday) toured part of South Beach, one more Lexus dealer then made way to Homestead Raceway. Several laps later, transported back to MIA Int'l on a flight back home to LAX. Now i'm back at work.

Quick Reply: Lexus LFA- Discussion, Pictures & News (new colors gloss black, blue, yellow)