Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CD tests 2010 TL 6 speed, 0-60 5.2 seconds, 13.8 quarter mile

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 06:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Ok, so how do I drive a manual, shift and talk on the cell phone and smoke a cigarette at the same time . Acura, leave the manual to the exotics and make some cars that people want to buy.
Old 10-20-09, 06:30 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Ok, so how do I drive a manual, shift and talk on the cell phone and smoke a cigarette at the same time . Acura, leave the manual to the exotics and make some cars that people want to buy.
Just talking on the cell phone? You mean you don't steer with your knees, leaving huge gaps between yourself and the car in front of you, while shaving or applying makeup in the vanity mirror? C'mon...
Old 10-20-09, 07:26 AM
wmb0000
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So because CD "was said to be favoring BMW and Honda" that the 0-60 time is not valid? Are they making up this time somehow?
Old 10-20-09, 07:49 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good 1. lol. The exterior does take awhile to grow on you, like a fungus.
That car is fast for the engine & weight.
Old 10-20-09, 07:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wmb0000
So because CD "was said to be favoring BMW and Honda" that the 0-60 time is not valid? Are they making up this time somehow?
C&D might favor BMW and Hondas, but all their test times are usually fast for every car.
Old 10-20-09, 08:27 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Because some of us like heel toeing and rowing the gears. It's amazing that cars can do a lot of this stuff for you nowadays (like the 370Z with rev matching downshifts), but there's a certain satisfaction you get by doing it yourself.

Btw, how many really good drivers do you know who can't drive a stick? I don't know any.

Honda manual trannies are great. Too bad they're not attached to proper sports cars.
Good points. I don't WANT a Lexus manual. I still have one, I've driven them all. They are simply average in execution. Honda makes some of the slickest shifters and its physics, they have no torque so the mechanics create a much slicker shifter.

Lexus manuals just aren't great and I much prefer an auto with paddle shifters.

Old 10-20-09, 10:08 AM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
Just talking on the cell phone? You mean you don't steer with your knees, leaving huge gaps between yourself and the car in front of you, while shaving or applying makeup in the vanity mirror? C'mon...
I know a guy who can drive a stick, hold his cell phone and eat a burger while driving! haha Not that that's really an accomplishment to brag about...

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good points. I don't WANT a Lexus manual. I still have one, I've driven them all. They are simply average in execution. Honda makes some of the slickest shifters and its physics, they have no torque so the mechanics create a much slicker shifter.

Lexus manuals just aren't great and I much prefer an auto with paddle shifters.
I'd still like Lexus to at least offer a manual in the IS350, whether they sell a bunch or not, at least make it an option.

I don't really like paddle shifted autos either unless it's something more along the lines of a SMG unit. The paddles on true autos seem to be quite slow and unresponsive. I know the ones in my gf's IS350 are pretty much useless. I'd prefer they just left it a regular auto without the paddles to be completely honest.

Anyway, base price of $43k for this thing? Uh, no thanks...
Old 10-20-09, 10:17 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I'd still like Lexus to at least offer a manual in the IS350, whether they sell a bunch or not, at least make it an option.
Lexus and Toyota have always been about sales numbers, if there is no demand for a manual IS350, they will not make one. A optional manual transmssion? thats a good one. In the old days, all cars comes with manual and auto transmissions are usually a $1000+ option.
Old 10-20-09, 10:25 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What the????

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Take that ES350!
ha ha ha ha... I laughed so loud when I read this. I think I dumped in my pants too. Are you kidding, ES with a manual? So you want Lexus to make a manual on the ES for ONE customer? No one on this planet would think to buy an ES with a manual, like entering a donkey in the Kentucky Derby... it's still an a**.
Old 10-20-09, 10:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snappy and ugly.
Old 10-20-09, 10:51 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

The TL is one face lift away from being one heck of a car. Why doesnt Acura see this? Sometime I wonder about the upper management of Acura, they really need to fire everyone in charge and start over again.
Old 10-20-09, 12:01 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lexus and Toyota have always been about sales numbers, if there is no demand for a manual IS350, they will not make one. A optional manual transmssion? thats a good one. In the old days, all cars comes with manual and auto transmissions are usually a $1000+ option.
I'm not saying to make it an option and charge more for it. Maybe, I should say make it "available" for people to choose. A lot of other manufacturers seem to be able to do it, I dont see why Lexus/Toyota couldnt. Also, I'm not saying do it in every car they make, but at least the ones that target a younger buyer or is meant to be "sportier."

And yes, I fully understand that manuals were standards and auto were "options" with a premium in the "old days." Actually, in cars today that offer both a manual and automatic, autos are still $1,500+ usually.
Old 10-20-09, 12:15 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the new TL is a big fail. it's just hideous all over.
Old 10-20-09, 01:08 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by metalgear
the new TL is a big fail. it's just hideous all over.
Could not agree that mechanically, the TL is a winner. If somehow they can put the chasis of the Accord coupe with TL's interior and drivetrain, Acura would have a winner.
Old 10-20-09, 01:11 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The TL is one face lift away from being one heck of a car. Why doesnt Acura see this? Sometime I wonder about the upper management of Acura, they really need to fire everyone in charge and start over again.
i doubt it.

even if you removed the beak, i can't think of one grille that would go well with those headlights.

Quick Reply: CD tests 2010 TL 6 speed, 0-60 5.2 seconds, 13.8 quarter mile