Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CD tests 2010 TL 6 speed, 0-60 5.2 seconds, 13.8 quarter mile

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-09, 08:47 PM
Hypnotik
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TL is a great car. Only problem is that its ugly....at least to me
Old 10-20-09, 08:58 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Thanks for trying to justify it, but I'm fairly certain that if Acura developed a performance-oriented automatic transmission instead of a smooth-shifting, comfort oriented transmission, it would be much better than the 6-speed manual that they are offering. A good automatic transmission always makes best use of any vehicle's powerband and that is why they are very popular in drag applications, as the numbers are always consistent, and allow for very little driver error. There is a reason, also, why SMG and DSG-type transmissions are becoming more and more popular in racing applications. They are much more consistent and faster than any manual transmission. I should probably also mention that I was talking about automated transmissions in general and I did not aim to single out the TL.

Also, I must remind you that the test was conducted by C&D and we all know they have always had a hard-on for Hondas. Regardless, people who buy the TL do not buy it for its performance, so the point in itself is rather moot. I must also remind you that motorsport enthusiasts do not drive Hondas, unless they are hardcore enough for an S2000, which is extremely difficult to exploit.

I must however agree with you that Honda has some of the easiest and smoothest manual transmissions on the market but from a performance perspective, they rarely have the powertrains to back them.
I agree with some of your points but not when you say people don't buy TLs for its performance or motorsport enthusiasts do not drive Hondas(except S2000) and I assume you are talking about Acuras also. Performance is one of the sole reasons many buyers/enthusiasts choose TLs over cars like the ES, C class, Volvo, Lincoln, and Saab models. If it was not for the TLs performance the softer riding more plush ES would have sold much more then the TL through the late 90's and 2000's. I know many enthusiasts who chose the TL for its performance that do not like the G35sedan nor did they want to put up with expensive unreliable German sedans and would never consider a Lexus ES.

I know many motorsports/track enthusiasts drive and race Honda/Acura models other then the S2000 like the Integra Type R and GSs, CRX, 6 speed Civics, 6 speed Accord coupes, Preludes, NSXs, RSX, and TSX's. Often they are modded but many enthusiasts own, race, and track Honda/Acura vehicles. Maybe people in Audi R8 circles don't associate much with motorsports enthusiasts who own and drive Honda/Acura models but they do exist in large numbers.

I agree many modern automatics and DSGs have now come close and surpassed many traditional manual transmissions not only in performance but fuel economy. I would not want a manual transmission as my daily driver unless maybe I lived where there was no traffic and few lights. DSGs and SMGs are a great technology and if reliable I would prefer over a traditional manual or automatic but unfortunately they are not very reliable as can be seen by recent recalls, warranty extensions, and issues occuring. I think their reliability and durability issues is one of the main reasons Japanese companies are not really implementing them in their cars and why they really only put them in their expensive high performance cars where reliability is not as big a concern. American companies don't seem very interested or confident in DSGs either but the higher costs and complexity I am sure plays into that too.

I agree automatics make great drag transmission too because you don't have to worry about screwing up shifts and destroying clutches like with a manual but often with a perfect launch the manual will still perform better in many cars.

If Acura developed a more performance oriented automatic transmission that could perform like the manual(push a 3900lb awd fwd based car with a SOHC 305hp NA v6 to 0-60 in 5.2 sec) it would most likely shift rougher then they would find acceptable and get pretty bad fuel economy. One of the big criticisms of the G35/37 is that the more performance oriented engine and transmission linkage is very rough, thrashy, and gets poor fuel economy, something Honda does not want even if it shaves a few tenths off of its times. The 6 speed auto from the ZDX and MDX will filter down to the TL but I doubt it is going to make a big difference fuel economy or performance wise, maybe 1 or 2 mpg better and .2 or .3 seconds quicker, still not what the manual can do.
Old 10-20-09, 09:08 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hypnotik
The TL is a great car. Only problem is that its ugly....at least to me
My thoughts exactly, the interior is good, but the exterior well the front is a mess but somehow is growing on me little by little.
Old 10-20-09, 11:22 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Ok, so how do I drive a manual, shift and talk on the cell phone and smoke a cigarette at the same time . Acura, leave the manual to the exotics and make some cars that people want to buy.

Well, I don't smoke so can't speak to that part, but I used to talk on the cell, eat and drink McDonalds, and drive a manual all the time. The only real problem with Honda/Acura right now is their exterior styling.
Old 10-21-09, 05:58 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I cannot believe the TL is still using a 5 speed auto transmission and the manual is 6 speed. Acura really need to step up and invest some money into their transmission designs.
Old 10-21-09, 10:17 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot believe the TL is still using a 5 speed auto transmission and the manual is 6 speed. Acura really need to step up and invest some money into their transmission designs.
Agreed, better to spend the money on performance auto trannys like those coming out of Audi, Porsche, Lexus, Mercedes.
Old 10-21-09, 10:39 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by UDel
American companies don't seem very interested or confident in DSGs either but the higher costs and complexity I am sure plays into that too.
I have to agree with you on several of your points, but that last one is wrong. Meet Ford PowerShift, which is going to replace most conventional automatics in a lot of Ford's models in 2011:

http://www.ford.co.uk/AboutFord/News...rShiftAutoEase
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/21/f...arbox-for-201/
Old 10-21-09, 10:52 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
I have to agree with you on several of your points, but that last one is wrong. Meet Ford PowerShift, which is going to replace most conventional automatics in a lot of Ford's models in 2011:

http://www.ford.co.uk/AboutFord/News...rShiftAutoEase
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/01/21/f...arbox-for-201/
That is interesting and impressive for Ford but from those articles it seems like it is currently available only in a few European models with smaller lower power gas/diesel engines. It seems the US version will be put in smaller engined low powered vehicles. They will have to design a new Powershift unit to handle the larger stronger v6s which may take some time to implement.
Old 10-21-09, 02:40 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honda/Acura has always been known for their manual transmissions though. Best I've ever driven all the way from the Civic to the NSX. They had a 6-Speed manual transmission way back in 1993. Manuals are still very fun to drive. But Honda/Acura does need a 6-Speed automatic. MPG across their line will also improve with one.
Old 10-21-09, 04:26 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

See ZDX.

Re: 6 speed automatic.
Old 10-21-09, 05:21 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

The TL is one face lift away from being one heck of a car. Why doesnt Acura see this? Sometime I wonder about the upper management of Acura, they really need to fire everyone in charge and start over again.
Because going back on this design means they have to roll it back on all their cars. They took one bet on the ugly and then doubled-down.

I was just thinking about their TL commercials...
They should show something big and ugly (like a snow man or an ogre) and say:
"Ugliness is power!...
Introducing Acura TL - the most powerful Acura yet!".

I think just "de-beaking" the thing will solve most of the aesthetic problems with it. It does have a polarizing styling, but polarizing doesn't have to be ugly all the time.
Old 10-21-09, 05:34 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I miss the good old days of Acura. In the mid 80's, this was the car company that attracted Mercedes & BMW buyers alike.. Honda/ Acura had a sweet collabo with Rover back in the day with the hot looking Sterling?

Those were the days when it came to Acura! I did enjoy my 97 CL 3.0.. I still have the watermarked bill of sale to this day
Old 10-21-09, 06:15 PM
kyang91
Lexus Champion

It is impressive number........but the TL is just too damn ugly.
Old 10-22-09, 05:52 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Ironically, the same man who design the last gen TL, Jon Ikeda, is responsible for the new controversial Power Plenum grill thru out the whole Acura line.
Old 10-22-09, 06:34 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kyang91
It is impressive number........but the TL is just too damn ugly.
I totally agree. Even in the commercial the grill looks terrible. I can't believe the company is still pushing it. One of my neighbors has one, every time I see the vehicle I ask myself why Acura why Acura why!!
As far as having a 6 speed, I think it's a great idea. I really don't care about all the fancy stuff other companies are making. I dare to say the other stuff just don't bring the same type of enjoyment even if it's faster than a human. I don't mind progress especially since I’m in the IT field but don't try tell me the GUI interface bring more satisfaction than cmd line.

Quick Reply: CD tests 2010 TL 6 speed, 0-60 5.2 seconds, 13.8 quarter mile