Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

CD tests 2010 TL 6 speed, 0-60 5.2 seconds, 13.8 quarter mile

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 06:37 AM
LexFather

I think Jon Ikeda did the LAST gen TL and Dave Marek did the new one.

Remember this was shown to us as the design direction for the brand so nothing should be surprising

American Honda has broken ground on a $15 million design center for its Acura brand in Torrance, Calif. When the center opens in the summer of 2007, it will be the first time Acura has not shared design space with sister brand Honda.

Dave Marek, 48, the chief auto designer for Honda R&D Americas Inc., talked with Staff Reporter Kathy Jackson about Acura's future.

Why is the design center so important?

The company never separated (Acura) enough from Honda. Because of that, the public felt the same way. It was just an extension of Honda.

What was the company's intended image for Acura?

We were always too careful with Acura. We were trying to do something new when we came out with it, but we were always apologizing for it. Now we need to start over with a clean sheet of paper. It was never a true brand to a lot of people.

Old 10-22-09, 07:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes 1SICKLEX, Woody Harrelson did design the new TL but working under Jon Ikeda who is the principal designer and manager of exterior design at the Acura Design Center. Jon is man guilty of envisioning the Power Plenum grill thru out the whole Acura line. According to his quote "We've always embraced technology at Acura. And we've always thought the man-machine relationship was very important. So we took those two elements as the key things we had to express in our shapes. "The technology portion of the styling you can see in the sheer, machined surfaces. The emotional aspects you see in the lines as they fade in and out, a little more random, like something from nature."

Ok, after reading that quote, I think I am going to be sick now
Old 10-22-09, 07:53 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by The G Man
Yes 1SICKLEX, Woody Harrelson did design the new TL but working under Jon Ikeda who is the principal designer and manager of exterior design at the Acura Design Center. Jon is man guilty of envisioning the Power Plenum grill thru out the whole Acura line. According to his quote "We've always embraced technology at Acura. And we've always thought the man-machine relationship was very important. So we took those two elements as the key things we had to express in our shapes. "The technology portion of the styling you can see in the sheer, machined surfaces. The emotional aspects you see in the lines as they fade in and out, a little more random, like something from nature."

Ok, after reading that quote, I think I am going to be sick now
lol at Woody Harrelson!!!

Old 10-22-09, 09:43 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The beak, "like something from nature", so they say.
Old 10-22-09, 10:52 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
I miss the good old days of Acura. In the mid 80's, this was the car company that attracted Mercedes & BMW buyers alike.. Honda/ Acura had a sweet collabo with Rover back in the day with the hot looking Sterling?

Those were the days when it came to Acura! I did enjoy my 97 CL 3.0.. I still have the watermarked bill of sale to this day
I liked the original Legend in the mid 80's also but I think the early 90's was a much better time for Acura and the cars much nicer with the larger more powerful Legend sedan, the beautiful Legend coupe, and of course the groundbreaking NSX. My neighbor who owned an older Mercedes SL coupe got rid of it and bought a brand new Legend LS coupe when it came out and loved it.
Old 10-22-09, 11:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The Legend in the 90s was a gem, it was right up there with the LS400 IMO. Sad to see how fast Acura fell from their prime in the 90s. The old saying "They dont make them like they use to " is true in this case.
Attached Thumbnails CD tests 2010 TL 6 speed, 0-60 5.2 seconds, 13.8 quarter mile-1995.acura.legend.35-300x189.jpg  
Old 10-22-09, 11:50 AM
LexFather

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by The G Man
The Legend in the 90s was a gem, it was right up there with the LS400 IMO. Sad to see how fast Acura fell from their prime in the 90s. The old saying "They dont make them like they use to " is true in this case.
Yup. To me its still the best sedan they have made. Legend GS with the 6 speed manual. You got 16" "AMG hammer style" wheels, a color keyed grill and the upgraded engine to 230hp. The 44k asking price though was steep.

To me it was built to be the best, not at a price. It wasn't Accord based, it was made in Japan not Ohio. It had real wood and tremendous fit and finish. The paint was good and the car had RWD proportions though it was FWD. It had a lot of space and a nice airy cabin (look at those windows).

Old 10-22-09, 12:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was waiting for the Legend fanboys to come out.
Old 10-22-09, 12:16 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the Legend coupe was my favorite back then.