Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: The radar poll
Got to have it with me all the time
55.00%
Radar, what is it good for? Absolutley nothing
45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

How many of you here drive with radar's and find them as nescacery as having a tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 09:28 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some differences of opinion, west coast versus east coast on these things. And a lot of people chiming in that have never used them in the last decade or two or three, typical internet stuff.

Agreed, "In the end, a detector is just a tool. There is nothing wrong with adding one to your arsenal, but it's not the last word in protecting yourself from a ticket."
Old 10-21-09, 04:50 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I barely use my V1 anymore. I find it only good for highway where it picks up Ka band from certain CHP cars.

I've only seen it pick up legit radar in the city 1 time, when I was the only car on the road and the cop instant-on'd me, so the detector would not have helped at all there.
Old 10-21-09, 07:52 PM
Danimal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Don't be the first, don't be the last, just stay in a pack.
That's about the only time I speed, which is exceedingly rare.

A lot of the time, if I am in no hurry to get somewhere, I'll cruise right at, or 5mph under the speed limit. If I am in a hurry, I'll do 5 over. Not worth the loss in gas mileage or the ticket. If I get home 20 minutes earlier, big deal, I get to look at **** and do my homework that much sooner.

Now don't get me wrong, I get a wild hair every now and then and really haul ***. But I only do it in areas I know, when there is a lot of cover. Hell, I used to hit 110 (70mph zone) on my way to work some days. See a big gap between two blocks of traffic? Hit the right lane and punch it!

That said, I'll be turning 24 next month and I've NEVER been pulled over.
Old 10-21-09, 08:22 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Passport 8500 really is a damn passport for speeding. I remeber racing some dude on an open highway and had the car up to 148 mph and the radar detector went off. I had 1.3 miles to slow down before I could actually see the cop. The cops in AZ drive around with their radars on so they are like freakn beacons screaming here come a cop. Its the same in LA. I use mine there all of the time under cover . I am not sure if its legal or not but I am from AZ and its legal here so I guess I have an excuse. Its the same thing with the tinted windows. Technically its illegal in CA to have the front drivers windows tinted
Old 10-21-09, 08:34 PM
NO1ZX6R
Rookie

I've also been using the 8500 for a few yrs. and before that always had one of the cincinnati microwave products. the old school passport was the bomb forever. as mentioned above, it's just an add'l tool but why not have it since it's available? I think the o.p. should take his friend up on the offer, especially for $100.
Old 10-21-09, 08:40 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

I'm 18 and I don't even think I need one. I usually cruise right around the limit. Course there are times where I go on one of my "spirited" cruises but its only in an area I know where the chances of me getting caught are quite low.

I think the main thing is to know when and where to speed, I've seen people speed in the most stupid places ever and get caught..

Then again I'd have to agree with "it just being a tool". If I had some spare cash, might as well.
Old 10-21-09, 09:31 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Mine has saved me countless times (except once :: laser = screwed no matter what)
Old 10-21-09, 09:38 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

There's really no need for one if you drive with the flow of traffic. But if you are the type to be passing people all the time, then I'd say it might come in handy.
Personally, I think they clutter up the interior and ruin the clean look.
Old 10-21-09, 10:42 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jracerlmn
V1 here.

I feel naked when i drive without it.
Couldn't have said it any better myself... A V1 will be in my car as long as I can drive and as long as they still make them.

That being said, I keep my speed to about 5-10 over. I don't need to go any faster than that. Too many different factors come into play after that...
Old 10-22-09, 09:27 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Faymester
Mine has saved me countless times (except once :: laser = screwed no matter what)
Laser is scary. Especially for the officers that use them here and in Washington state, since I've seen them standing on the freeway next to their car (certainly a risky way to make a living, they probably dislike it).

2 weeks ago I was cruising at the usual 80mph on the freeway in number 2 lane and I saw the laser officer in action, nothing happened, I must of been below his threshold.
Old 10-22-09, 10:07 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
I can see the value of having one especially on the more spirited drives, but I typically just cruise at 5-10 over the speed limit so it's not too useful for me.
my friend got a ticket going 75 on the freeway on sunday... n hes getting deployed to afganistan in like 3 days.
Old 10-22-09, 10:18 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

by a radar I'm assuming you mean a radar DETECTOR...

I've had the 8500 and a V1...arrows are excellent...but I got rid of both...tired of the falses and I just try to blend in rather than be a jackazz driving 90 in a 55.
Old 10-22-09, 10:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

There has to be some sense of false security with a radar detector. It would be interesting if there is some stats on rather people who drive with radar detectors on actually gets more speeding tickets than people who do not.
Old 12-26-09, 10:00 AM
dunbar43
Driver

For only $100, you gotta take him up on it, they retail upwards of $300. I think they are nice to have, but it won't save you every time. I have a crappy Whistler that I bought at Radio Shack when I was 16 and I understand how false alarms can get annoying, but even my Whistler has saved me a couple times. Get the Passport, it's at a great price and they are valuable on the highways.
Old 12-26-09, 10:58 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

its the only way to fly

Quick Reply: How many of you here drive with radar's and find them as nescacery as having a tires?