Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MSNBC: As Toyota tips, VW steers for the top

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 01:00 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Toyota has acknowledged their quality issues. VW seems oblivious to them. They continues to rank near the rear in quality. If ANYONE needs to focus on quality, its VW.
Not even close. VW executives and board members, in addition to Stefan Jacoby, have openly admitted to the effects that the company's poor quality reputation had on the company, especially on US performance. The reality is that currently the challenge is to overcome a perceived quality reputation. Volkswagen took in Consumer Reports to help them with the MKVI development, their rankings across the globe have all significantly increased since the past generation of vehicles. There is simply no basis whatsoever to VW "being oblivious" to the quality woes that ended nearly four years ago.
Old 10-21-09, 01:25 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
The reality is that currently the challenge is to overcome a perceived quality reputation.
Is this your way of saying that VW products are actually reliable and that they only need to get consumers' perception to reflect reality?

If so. LOL

I guess this is all lies, then?

If not... then I don't understand what you're saying. If anything VW has in-car perceived quality down to an art. I've never seen any other car brand that as a whole looks so nice and solid off the show room floor end up often times being such a headache underneath it all.
Old 10-21-09, 01:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Threxx
Is this your way of saying that VW products are actually reliable and that they only need to get consumers' perception to reflect reality?

If so. LOL

If not... then I don't understand what you're saying. If anything VW has in-car perceived quality down to an art. I've never seen any other car brand that as a whole looks so nice and solid off the show room floor end up often times being such a headache underneath it all.
More charts

More UK

Old 10-21-09, 03:57 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Haitwun
Volkswagen can take the #1 spot, Toyota doesn't need it. Toyota is better known for quality, not volume. VW tends to get average reliability from consumer reports. Anyway, good for VW!
yup, i'm happy as long as toyota keeps building quality cars.
and fun cars finally too!
LF-A + FT-86
Old 10-21-09, 04:00 PM
shyguy16
Lead Lap

whoa, mazda and nissan ahead of lexus in reliability?
what's going on here??
Old 10-22-09, 06:04 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx

If so. LOL

Look at VW's other brands, Audi and Porsche. They have been climbing the charts for the last few years. VW will eventually learn from them and make more reliable VWs.
Just because VW is near the bottom in one survey, that doesn’t meant they are not taking reliability seriously. Reliability is a long term commitment in engineering and quality control, it doesn’t happen over night. Toyota started this commitment long time ago, and it will take VW at least a few years before they will realize improvement in reliability. I think VW is smart enough to know that relaibility is one of the biggest reason VW do not sell well in the US.
Old 10-22-09, 07:31 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 748 Likes on 518 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Look at VW's other brands, Audi and Porsche. They have been climbing the charts for the last few years. VW will eventually learn from them and make more reliable VWs.
Just because VW is near the bottom in one survey, that doesn’t meant they are not taking reliability seriously. Reliability is a long term commitment in engineering and quality control, it doesn’t happen over night. Toyota started this commitment long time ago, and it will take VW at least a few years before they will realize improvement in reliability. I think VW is smart enough to know that relaibility is one of the biggest reason VW do not sell well in the US.
I agree. It's also difficult to implement these changes in the middle of a products life cycle. If VW is truly committed to changing their reliability reputation, we should start seeing the effects when their next generation of cars come out. Audi seems to update/refresh every other year so I wasn't too surprise to see them move up the charts.
Old 10-22-09, 08:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,414 Likes on 1,583 Posts

any company with a goal or "strategy" to be #1 is already on the decline.
companies should instead focus on excellence, whether it be in product, service or value, combined with a strategy to eat marketshare from competitors. if they execute well, their ranking will take care of itself.

as vw goes after toyota, they will have the legs kicked out from under them by hyundai, honda, and coming Chinese and Indian brands.
Old 10-22-09, 08:27 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

bitkahuna, I agree. Make a good product and let the ranking play itself out. VW might be making a mistake here by publicly stating their intention of being #1.
Old 10-22-09, 08:54 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let VW go to the top. I think they are slowly becoming the next GM...
Old 10-22-09, 09:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen K
I agree. It's also difficult to implement these changes in the middle of a products life cycle. If VW is truly committed to changing their reliability reputation, we should start seeing the effects when their next generation of cars come out. Audi seems to update/refresh every other year so I wasn't too surprise to see them move up the charts.
Good point, quality/reliability needs to be engineered-in and proven in durability testing before product launch. Mercedes is dealing with this too and finally executed on a more reliable car with the redesign of the model year 2008 C-class.
Old 11-09-09, 10:08 AM
GS69
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Arrow Vw #1

Based on simple production stats, Volkswagen is now the world's largest automaker. Over the first nine months of 2009, VW produced 4.4 million units, while Toyota cranked out 4 million even. (Ford came in third at 3.7 million.) We're not sure how long VW will remain at the top of the heap, since much of its production and sales have been driven by government-run incentive programs in Europe, and many those programs have now ended. But even if the company's victory is fleeting, VW can technically say that it achieved its goal of becoming the world's largest automaker nearly ten years ahead of its stated 2018 deadline. [AutoCar]
Old 11-09-09, 10:42 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

# of cars produced is such a useless metric for success. GM and Ford used to be up there, look at them now

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...s-decline.html
Old 11-09-09, 10:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GS69

Based on simple production stats, Volkswagen is now the world's largest automaker. Over the first nine months of 2009, VW produced 4.4 million units, while Toyota cranked out 4 million even. (Ford came in third at 3.7 million.) We're not sure how long VW will remain at the top of the heap, since much of its production and sales have been driven by government-run incentive programs in Europe, and many those programs have now ended. But even if the company's victory is fleeting, VW can technically say that it achieved its goal of becoming the world's largest automaker nearly ten years ahead of its stated 2018 deadline. [AutoCar]
Now that VW is #1, I hope they can get off their ego trip and get back to business and start making some reliable and quality cars.
Old 11-09-09, 11:54 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Thumbs down Volkswagen (VW) Volkswagen-Porsche overtakes Toyota as world's largest carma

Volkswagen-Porsche has overtaken Toyota to become the world's largest car manufacturer as the German group benefits from state-backed stimulus packages around the globe.

The maker of the Golf, Polo and Boxster brands has produced 4.4m vehicles so far this year, outstripping its Japanese rival which has seen 4m cars roll off production lines since January.

The estimates by IHS Global Insight reflect the benefit on the German manufacturer of government measures in China, Germany and Britain to prop up their automotive industries and stimulate consumer demand in the wake of the worldwide economic downturn.

The group has launched a range of VW models tailored for the Chinese market and sold 128,000 cars there in July, accounting for nearly a quarter of its global sales for that month as it moves aggressively into the world's largest car market.

China boosted demand for cars by cutting sales taxes and introducing subsidies, while the UK and Germany persuaded consumers to buy new vehicles through cash-for-clunkers schemes, where car owners were paid to trade in their old vehicle for a new model.

However, IHS Global Insight said Volkswagen's ascent to the top of the manufacturing league was aided by Toyota's decision to halve its output in the first quarter of the year. Christoph Stürmer, a director at IHS Global Insight, said Toyota had "braked extremely hard" at the beginning of 2009, slashing output from 2.1m cars in the quarter to 1.1m.

"That extremely hard brake has been keeping Toyota behind Volkswagen by quite a margin. Due to government incentives, Volkswagen was not forced
to decelerate so hard," said Stürmer.

Toyota, which employs 3,560 people at its Burnaston plant in Derbyshire, became the world's largest carmaker last year after overtaking General Motors, which had held the title for 80 years.

The firm has the capacity to make 10m vehicles a year but it expects to make 7m vehicles in 2009, compared with an output of 9.24m last year. Toyota is preparing for a prolonged dip in demand and has announced plans to suspend a production line in Japan for more than a year from next spring.

Last week it posted a better than expected profit of ¥21.8bn (£144m) for the three months to December – albeit compared with a profit of ¥139bn for the same period last year. It more than halved its projected loss from ¥450bn down to ¥200bn.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...rgest-carmaker

Quick Reply: MSNBC: As Toyota tips, VW steers for the top