Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GM says Volt needs to cut costs to be competitive

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-09, 07:39 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
Why would anyone purchase a Chevrolet Volt for $40,000 plus tax?
You have forgotten a key element. The Volt will carry with it a $7500 federal tax credit, plus any state credits depending on where you reside. That changes this price drastically. Depending on the Volt's eco. ratings it may actually make more sense to buy the Volt over a Prius. Especially as the price of gas rises. We will just have to wait and see. My money is on GM conservatively estimating a 40 mile eletric range. That is if they are smart, which their track record aint to great.
Old 10-21-09, 10:15 PM
Trexus

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
You have forgotten a key element. The Volt will carry with it a $7500 federal tax credit, plus any state credits depending on where you reside. That changes this price drastically. Depending on the Volt's eco. ratings it may actually make more sense to buy the Volt over a Prius. Especially as the price of gas rises. We will just have to wait and see. My money is on GM conservatively estimating a 40 mile eletric range. That is if they are smart, which their track record aint to great.
I understand how the Alternative Motor Vehicle Credit works (Form 8910) and I think your Federal tax credit of $7,500 seems a little overstated. For model year 2009 the maximum credit is $3,000. Since the Chevy Volt will be a model year 2011 vehicle we don't know what the maximum credit will be.

Even though taxpayers can get a credit for purchasing a Chevy Volt it's more of a hassle to complete the extra effort to report it on your tax return and at the same time people can also get a credit for purchasing a Toyota Prius, Lexus HS 250h, Ford Escape hybrid, Ford Fusion hybrid or Mercury Mariner hybrid and it would even be a better deal than a Chevy Volt.

So why would anyone still purchase the Chevy Volt?

Government Motors should have died back in December 2008...
Old 10-22-09, 08:47 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Government Motors should have died back in December 2008.
amen.

it should have been liquidated or sold off - brands like cadillac would have survived under new ownership with most likely getting the manufacturing and management way the hell out of michigan.
Old 10-22-09, 09:32 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why would anyone still purchase the Chevy Volt?
The Volt is all about fuel efficiency. If the EPA rates the volt at 85 mpg+ (which is very likely) you don't think GM could sell them for 40k?
Old 10-22-09, 10:13 AM
jaseman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350jet
The Volt is all about fuel efficiency. If the EPA rates the volt at 85 mpg+ (which is very likely) you don't think GM could sell them for 40k?
No, I don't think they'll sell at $40k+, even at 85mpg. Not when the average consumer still has to make monthly payments. That's the real catch.

$500 a month vs. $250 a month? (just rough round numbers) Unless you putting $200+ a month in fuel, the average car buyer, who is only gonna normally spend $20-30k on a car, wont want to pick up that much more of a payment.
Old 10-22-09, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,394 Likes on 1,568 Posts

i would NOT want to be an 'early adopter' of the volt.
Old 10-22-09, 11:56 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Comparing the Volt with standard hybrids like a loaded Prius or Lexus HS isn't really fair.

For normal commuting applications, the Volt won't use a single drop of gas. Early adopters are the first target market with GM's pricing. Since GM is actually selling and not leasing the cars, the EV1 controversy probably won't repeat itself.
Old 10-22-09, 04:22 PM
Trexus

GM can sell the Volt for $40K all they want but will the masses buy the Volt?

I'm sure a few people will purchase it but I'm sure the masses won't. There are better deals with the Toyota Prius, Lexus HS 250h, Ford Escape hybrid, Ford Fusion hybrid or the Mercury Mariner hybrid. The Volt has tough competition ahead. The Volt isn't going to save GM as well. GM should have died back in December 2008...
Old 10-22-09, 05:11 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

GM can sell the Volt for $40K all they want but will the masses buy the Volt?

I'm sure a few people will purchase it but I'm sure the masses won't. There are better deals with the Toyota Prius, Lexus HS 250h, Ford Escape hybrid, Ford Fusion hybrid or the Mercury Mariner hybrid. The Volt has tough competition ahead. The Volt isn't going to save GM as well. GM should have died back in December 2008...
It's a good thing GM isn't trying to sell the Volt to the masses then, huh.
It's a niche vehicle. GM won't even build enough of them for the masses. It will cater to a very small demographic. With that, yes, I believe GM will have no problem selling every one they build for 40k. Just my opinion.
Old 10-22-09, 05:37 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

It's a niche vehicle. GM won't even build enough of them for the masses. It will cater to a very small demographic. With that, yes, I believe GM will have no problem selling every one they build for 40k. Just my opinion.
I agree, initially the car is not meant to appeal to lower income buyers like a traditional economy car.
Old 10-22-09, 05:45 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I agree, initially the car is not meant to appeal to lower income buyers like a traditional economy car.
It will be a good platform to test and refine the technology. If it's successful, they can expand it to a more mainstream product.
Old 10-22-09, 06:16 PM
Trexus

It's a good thing GM isn't trying to sell the Volt to the masses then, huh.
You're absolutely right and GM will be selling each one of them at a loss. Kind of a waste if you ask me...after GM filed for backruptcy. GM should focus on making money and not lossing money. Remember GM lost over $100 billion over a period of five years and got a bailout and hasn't paid that money back to the U.S. taxpayers...
Old 10-22-09, 07:25 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

I would like to test drive a Volt on my commute to work only 16 miles but mostly up steep hills. I have the feeling that it will run out of electric really fast on them hills. The other morning I heard that a driver of the Volt reported getting only 35 MPG.
Old 10-22-09, 08:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

WOW these guys at GM are just figuring this out. I remember thinking who the hell is going to buy a volt for 40K.
Old 01-19-10, 11:38 AM
LexFather

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/01/19/g...e-after-tax-r/

$40,000. That's the potential price we've heard for the first-gen Chevrolet Volt for ages, and it's the number we get again, now that the recent "low 30s" price rumor has been put to rest. Again.

General Motors spokesman Dave Darovitz confirmed to Green Car Reports that GM CEO Ed Whitacre's recent statement that the Volt would be priced "in the low 30s" and be profitable was misleading/inaccurate. The reality is that the car will cost around $40,000, and a possible $7,500 tax credit from the federal government would move the price into the low 30s. Specifically, Darovitz confirmed to GCR that, GM "has not officially announced final Volt pricing, a price in the low 30's after a $7,500 tax credit is in the range of possibilities." We knew that. Why would we think it was anything else?

Quick Reply: GM says Volt needs to cut costs to be competitive