Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

carfax/autocheck question

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-09, 02:41 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts
Default carfax/autocheck question

A truck blew it's retread off in front of me and I had to go over it. The lower lip is chipped, the fog light popped out of it's housing, and the leading edge of the wheel well creased and is bowing out about a half inch in one spot. I am guessing a repaint for the chips and I don't know what they'll do to fix the crease (bend it back or new bumper?). I tracked down the driver and his insurance is going to take care of all repairs. But I am wondering if this goes on any carfax or autocheck report ? As far as a police report, there was nothing officially written up on the scene, but the highway patrol has my name in the incident number. Is that what carfax uses? Should I be concerned about diminished value when going to sell my car in a few years?
TIA
Old 10-23-09, 04:41 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 161 Likes on 137 Posts

I am the second owner of my RX300. Previously it was a New York vehicle and had been involved in an accident on Long Island. I didn't see this in the Carfax record, but when I went to check on Autocheck there it was. However, with my parent's vehicles, Carfax showed service history, whereas Autocheck showed absolutely nothing in this regard.
Old 10-23-09, 05:15 AM
LexFather

I believe it depends if the cops report it or not. CarFax sucks monkey nuts. Autocheck is better. Neither is perfect.

Old 10-23-09, 12:58 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I believe it depends if the cops report it or not. CarFax sucks monkey nuts. Autocheck is better. Neither is perfect.
The cop wrote nothing when we were pulled over. But I was logged into the incident report when I had called the CHP dispatch. She had asked for my name after I explained what happened. Same thing?
Old 10-23-09, 01:10 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

my wife's Audi had both headlight assy replaced at the dealer for defects and that's on carfax!?!?!?!?!
Old 10-23-09, 02:40 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bagwell
my wife's Audi had both headlight assy replaced at the dealer for defects and that's on carfax!?!?!?!?!
Warranty fix of a defect? Or recall TSB fix? Either way, no harm having it on Carfax.
Old 10-23-09, 07:12 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Carfax from what I've seen is more concerned with reporting accidents and service history. Also, with both, things are reported if the shop actually reports and subscribes to either service. If your uncle's brother-in-law's sister's aunt's high school classmate does repairs in his basement, then of course neither will pick up the repair.

Take Carfax and others as a good start of researching if the vehicle is clean or not, it's still up to you to get it properly inspected prior to purchase.

As for OP's situation about this incident, depends on where you get it fixed will depend on if it gets reported. If you go through the dealer, it will show up. If you were not on report directly, it won't show up.
Old 10-23-09, 09:08 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There's no straight answer. My IS was in an accident, and the body shop said he doesn't report it. Would the insurance co report it? I'd be pi$$ed over the OTHER driver's ins co disclosing my info to public records.
Old 10-24-09, 12:10 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Carfax from what I've seen is more concerned with reporting accidents and service history. Also, with both, things are reported if the shop actually reports and subscribes to either service. If your uncle's brother-in-law's sister's aunt's high school classmate does repairs in his basement, then of course neither will pick up the repair.

Take Carfax and others as a good start of researching if the vehicle is clean or not, it's still up to you to get it properly inspected prior to purchase.

As for OP's situation about this incident, depends on where you get it fixed will depend on if it gets reported. If you go through the dealer, it will show up. If you were not on report directly, it won't show up.
I am taking it to a reputable repair shop which is run by my dad's friend. So can I request to not have it reported?
Old 10-24-09, 12:12 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

"IF" it's going to show up, it's going to show up on Autocheck.
Old 10-24-09, 12:26 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I guess the key is to get a car fax and an auto check