Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

REPORT: Porsche to share platforms with VW, possibly 911

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-09, 05:54 PM
LexFather

Post REPORT: Porsche to share platforms with VW, possibly 911

I have to say if this happens, I will only be interested in current and past 911s....

Can you image a VW-badged Panamera? What about a 911-based product from Wolfsburg? It could happen according to Porsche CEO Michael Macht. Autocar reports that Macht says, "Porsche needs to become a strong pillar of VW," and part of that means sharing platforms and components. The two companies have been on a rocky collision course towards merging for years, and now that the deal is all but done, the business of identifying synergies between the two companies is on.

Porsche apparently is not worried about diluting its brand image by sharing platforms with VW, even if that includes the iconic 911. What they won't be sharing, however, is engines. Macht made it clear that "Engine development is a core value for Porsche." At the moment, the only Porsche model with an engine that wasn't developed in-house is the V6-powered Cayenne.

Putting aside your feelings about whether or not Porsche sharing its platforms with VW is a good idea, what are some positive results that can be imagined? A Panamera-based Phaeton? A 911-based Audi speedster? A Boxster-based production version of the VW Concept BlueSport?

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsAr...aspx?AR=244233

Old 10-24-09, 05:57 PM
amdave
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Porsche will be fine. They are unlikely to mess with what makes them great - the 911 is on my wish list forever.
Old 10-24-09, 08:15 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Should be interesting to see this happen
Old 10-24-09, 09:10 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Porsche got to cocky tried to take over Goliath and got squashed. This is the result. Great move by Volkswagon
Old 10-24-09, 10:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll say no comment. I'm keeping a close eye on Porsche before I buy my next one.
Old 10-25-09, 06:43 AM
NO1ZX6R
Rookie

IMO this is nothing less than the beginning of the end. As stated above, if Porsche management hadn't overextended themselves (cash wise) trying to take over VW they wouldn't be in this position now. I can't imagine anything good coming from this; the Porsche crest is tarnished forever.
Old 10-25-09, 06:55 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

As for myself I am researching how to fix the design flaws in the original watercooled flat-6 engine so I can preserve & improve my Boxster S, the best sports car ever made
Old 10-25-09, 07:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Two things. First, joint Porsche/VW platforms are nothing new.....it was actually the norm in the 40s and 50s. Second, even today, the Cayenne and Touraeg share a common platform, although they are, to an extent, different vehicles designed for different purposes....the Touraeg for versatility and off-road prowess; the Cayenne more for performance.
Old 10-25-09, 07:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
As for myself I am researching how to fix the design flaws in the original watercooled flat-6 engine so I can preserve & improve my Boxster S, the best sports car ever made
You can thank Big Brother and emission standards for the switch from air to liquid-cooling. Liquid cooling allows more even combustion temperatures in each cylinder and MUCH faster cold-start warm-ups.....both critical for low emissions. It also, of course, eliminates the possibility of exhaust gases and CO leaking into the cabin through the old air-heating systems.
Old 10-27-09, 07:43 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liquid cooling was also necessary to achieve the type of performance that Porsche needed to remain competitive in this class of cars. DOHC and all it's advantages work best with the cooling effectiveness of liquid cooling. Yes, the heaters and A/C systems of even the later air-cooled Porsches were crap by todays standards.
Old 10-27-09, 08:40 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

VW/Audi fans =
Porsche purists =

I don't mind if VW starts using Porsche chassis as long as the cars don't look the same.