Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-Generation Acura RL to Reassert Flagship Position Within Acura Lineup; stays V-6

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 12:08 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, good luck...
Old 10-26-09, 02:13 PM
LexFather

Look Acura is not going to out sport anyone, out luxury anyone and out accelerate anyone. Outside the new mess of a styling direction, they make solid vehicles. I hope the CEO got that memo and decides to make Acura more fuel efficient. I don't understand how they have no hybrids and the TSX I-4 is 1 MPG more efficient than the IS 250 V-6. Acura is never going to go head on with the Tier 1 players. So their trump card should be MPG, efficiency!! That goes with Honda's core values. Exaggerated styling advertising something they are not is completely against Honda's values. If Acura's are the most fuel efficient in class, they have that new leg to stand on. There is nothing wrong with being "Honda plus" if their MPG is better than everyone else. I truly hope we see this.

I hope the next RL gets best MPG in class. Othewise it will continue to be an also ran. If the next RL can be somehow a 30MPG vehicle, it will provide a nice lead and glow to the rest of the brand as the models gets revamped.

Since they are not going Tier 1, not going with V-8s, RWD, etc bring on the CSX here. Bring back the RSX. Bring back the small, fun, efficient Acuras.They might as well go back on their words and bring those cars back. Since the TSX has gotten so big, make a 2 and 4 door new RSX!

Finally keep the "Type-R" designation and spread it throughout the brand!

And Udel, Q45> RL, period. They are in different classes for goodness sakes.

Old 10-26-09, 02:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is Honda and Acura are both lagging behind in fuel economy and efficiency compared to a lot of the competition. It remains to be seen if Honda can provide a big fuel economy increase for their future products compared to the competition.
Old 10-26-09, 02:28 PM
LexFather

^^ Honestly while I am so beyond tired of Honda "talking" if they truly are serious about MPG and efficiency, I can't see why they can't be. They have a great track record in the 70s, 80s, 90s, of fuel efficiency. People buy them irregardless.

My bets are on Honda.

I wonder though that some Acura dealerships have to be very PISSED OFF as they were told to invest and upgrade facilities for new Tier 1 products. Products that are not coming.

Old 10-26-09, 02:39 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
^^ Honestly while I am so beyond tired of Honda "talking" if they truly are serious about MPG and efficiency, I can't see why they can't be. They have a great track record in the 70s, 80s, 90s, of fuel efficiency. People buy them irregardless.

My bets are on Honda.

I wonder though that some Acura dealerships have to be very PISSED OFF as they were told to invest and upgrade facilities for new Tier 1 products. Products that are not coming.
Honda does have a track record of fuel economy in their past. They also have a track record of technology and innovation in their past. Problem is, we have seen very little of this in present products, and I can only hope for Honda's sake future products will have it.
Old 10-26-09, 03:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

V-8s are not dead at all, they will only get better. As Kenn posted, V-8s are already more efficient than their own V-6s. There has been no mass exodus of people not buying V-8s. They have ALWAYS sold in smaller quantities and always will. The fact is they are indeed offered.
I agree that the V8 is not dead....I tried to make that clear. But I do think that the days of the big, traditional muscle-car type of V8 (Shelby, Camaro SS, Chrysler SRT Hemi, etc...) are numbered. The V8s of the future will probably not be like they have been for decades. The non-SRT 5.7L Hemi, with the cylinder-deactivation feature, is the first inkling of the stuff we can excpect to see in the future.

And, with new hi-perf V6 engines like the Ford Ecoboost, the traditional V8 will become even less important.

I said it once and I will say it again. If Lexus didn't offer a SC 400, a LS 400 (clearly) and a GS 400, this place would be dead. I would not be posting here. There is NOTHING like the sound and nice torque of a V-8.

I agree.......I wish the SC400 WOULD come back. I've never liked the SC430 replacement, except for its superb wood-paneled dash/console.

If V-8s were dead, Hyundai of all people would not have invested in a big 4.6 and the coming 5.0 V-8. They understand what a V-8 does for a brand.
True to an extent. But one must remember that Hyundai is not just designing cars for the American market; they have their eyes on the huge......and growing.......Chinese market right next door. The Chinese (as of now) don't have the CAFE/Emission rules we have on new cars. They also have to compete with Buick's strong popularity in China, with the Buick V6s and V8s....the Lucerne offers a V8 in the top version.

The RL will continue to be a good car, sell under expectations and do nothing to elevate the brand. They better be at least working on a hybrid RL or FI or something. They also need to hold off on any weight gains if it will gain power.

I mean for goodness sakes this car has sold poorly for 15 years now. They can't figure out what works in 15 years?
Nationally, RL sales have indeed been lousy, but you would be surprised at its popularity here in the D.C. area. I don't have hard local figures to back it up, but I see many more of them than I did just a few years ago.

Imagine if the GS continued its 2nd and 3rd generations with no V-8 being offered? Just think about that. The GS forums would be DEAD.
I think the future of the GS V8 will (probably) be centered around the hybrid version you yourself now have...or, possibly, a turbo V6, Ford Ecoboost style. That is what Lincoln, one of Lexus's competitors, seems to have in mind for its own products too.
Old 10-26-09, 03:39 PM
madmax2k1
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"My moms 99 TL was much better made, rode better, and quality was much better"

I stopped reading right here.
Old 10-26-09, 04:10 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I hope the next RL gets best MPG in class. Othewise it will continue to be an also ran. If the next RL can be somehow a 30MPG vehicle, it will provide a nice lead and glow to the rest of the brand as the models gets revamped.
Very wishful thinking on your part my friend. The currently RL is rated for 16/22. If someone can name an AWD 300 HP midsize that get worse fuel economy than that I would like to hear it.
Old 10-26-09, 04:40 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True to an extent. But one must remember that Hyundai is not just designing cars for the American market; they have their eyes on the huge......and growing.......Chinese market right next door. The Chinese (as of now) don't have the CAFE/Emission rules we have on new cars. They also have to compete with Buick's strong popularity in China, with the Buick V6s and V8s....the Lucerne offers a V8 in the top version.
This is somewhat incorrect. Large displacement engines in China are not popular because of the way they are taxed. Small displacement engines are extremely popular on the other hand. Even medium and large displacement V6 engines are not very popular in China, including luxury cars, again due to the taxation rules on engines there.
Old 10-26-09, 05:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
This is somewhat incorrect. Large displacement engines in China are not popular because of the way they are taxed. Small displacement engines are extremely popular on the other hand. Even medium and large displacement V6 engines are not very popular in China, including luxury cars, again due to the taxation rules on engines there.

True, but they are growing more popular because the exploding Chinese economy (which is in good shape even with an otherwise worldwide recession) has put a fairly good sum of of money into the hands of many potential car buyers, and they want (and can afford) big-engined cars even with the taxes. Of course, it is still not like the U.S., but it is generally headed that way.
Old 10-26-09, 05:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by madmax2k1
"My moms 99 TL was much better made, rode better, and quality was much better"

I stopped reading right here.
lol, we've heard that one before from him . That car was as well built as a wet a noodle. Later models were much better built.

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Very wishful thinking on your part my friend. The currently RL is rated for 16/22. If someone can name an AWD 300 HP midsize that get worse fuel economy than that I would like to hear it.
It is wishful thinking b/c contrary to what some think, I want them to succeed. To do that they will have to carve a new niche as they have raised their price and completely lost the CLEAR value message they had. So to me, if they really attacked having best in class MPG, then Acura has a "point". Even if the RL goes back to FWD to attain the MPG. To me, that would be impressive.

Lets look at the ZDX.. Imagine it got 25 MPG or say it was a hybrid like the RX 450h and got 30 MPG. That would give it a clear distinct advantage.

Old 10-26-09, 05:46 PM
memasterac
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I still remember a few years ago Acura said the currect RL was going to be really good and Acura laid an egg. I give a serious doubt that Acura is going to put a V-8 and RWD into the next RL. And all the latest Acura exterior updates are not helping either.
Old 10-26-09, 05:52 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Acura REALLY needs the new RL to give them a shot in the arm.

In September they sold just 150 RL's!!. YTD they are averaging 150-160 per month and sales are -60% vs. last year.

The new model doesn't need to be a home run, but anything less than a double makes you wonder how long they can stick with it.
Old 10-26-09, 06:03 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Agreed.

@regarding Night Vision
The KB1 already has Night Vision display (and it works quite well too). Unfortunately, the feature was never released outside Japan hence why overseas versions never had the feature whilst the JDM version had it since the car came out (and when Takeo Fukui was still head of Honda). Hayzz, I guess when it comes to Japanese cars, only Japan gets the good stuff (which is understandable as that is their home market but still........)

Hopefully, in the next version, this feature would be available in all countries (and not just in Japan) hehe.

@ LED
Are you referring to LED as Daytime-running lights (like what Audi did to its entire car lineup)? If so, then this may be a given for the next-generation (though this will depend as to when the EU government will require new automobiles to have DRLs as standard).

Anyways, with that said, I hope that if Honda/Acura is reading this forums, then they should take down some notes from our suggestions hehe.

That is if they want to make the Acura RL/Honda Legend better than the current model.......

which one is the KB1?

Yes. But they're also used as parking lights in countries that don't have DRLs, right? Or are they removed completely?

Originally Posted by Koma
Well they do have SH-AWD. That in itself is an amazing system I think. However, they don't promote it enough. Most people don't really know how technologically advanced the SH-AWD is.

I think, like many others have stated already, that they need to make the RL larger and more luxurious.
Good point esp. your point about lack of promotion cause clearly I overlooked it lol
Old 10-26-09, 06:24 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

And Udel, Q45> RL, period. They are in different classes for goodness sakes.
Why? Let me guess, just because it has rwd and a v8 and the RL is an Acura with awd and a v6. There is more to a car then just rwd and a v8. Who cares if they are in different classes. Please name why the Q45 is better and I am just talking about the last Gen Q45 vs the last Gen RL.

Is it better made?
Is quality of materials and build quality better?
Is there more attention to detail over the RL?
Is it more reliable?
Does it have more features?
Does it have more technology?
Does it ride better?
Does it handle better?
Does it hold its value better?
Is it quieter?
Was it reviewed better?
Does it have a nicer interior?

What are the reasons?

Why did so few people buy them and much more people get the Acura RL if the Q45 was superior, there was not a huge difference price wise either as the Q45 was not all that much expensive then the RL unless you went for the high priced luxury package in the Q45. In 2005 fewer then 1200 Q45s were sold in the entire US while over 1300 RLs were sold just in the month of March 2005. The last gen Q45 only sold from 2002-2006 and was discontinued after such poor sales and public reaction. I never see the last gen Q45 on the road where I see last gen RLs on the road all the time everyday. Clearly buyers did not like the last Q45 as it was a complete failure while the RL just does not sell in large numbers. Even if you want to say the Q45 was much quicker, it really was not. Edmunds got 0-60 of 6.7 seconds for the 3rd Gen Q45 where I have seen 2nd Gen RLs tested at 6.3 and 6.4 seconds. Most timed tests of the Q45 could not come close to Infiniti's 5.9 sec claim and most were in the 6.5 second range which is right around where the RL is. Every reviewer said the car did not feel like it had 340hp and felt much slower then specs suggest due mainly to poor gearing. I test drove both and aside from the 3rd gen Q45 being bigger and offering more room I did not find anything about it to be superior over the current RL.

I really liked the first Q45 and liked it more then the first LS400, it is a shame the marketing was so terrible for it and the ads were so weird for it.

Quick Reply: Next-Generation Acura RL to Reassert Flagship Position Within Acura Lineup; stays V-6