Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-Generation Acura RL to Reassert Flagship Position Within Acura Lineup; stays V-6

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
RL is a great car. I drove it many times, and i really like how it drives. interior is awesome, and I would have to say probably best honda interior ever. sadly, it's love/hate design on outside and most people hate them.
Originally Posted by joe80
v8 or no v8, RL failed because it's ugly and overpriced. you can't sell something for near 50k when it looks like a 35k car.
Just where do you stand on the RL? You praise it in one post and pan it in another.

I have always had a high opinion of this car, and, except for the parrot-beak grille on the American-market RL, have never panned it.
Old 10-27-09, 06:08 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Oh sorry I forgot to note that. Here it is then.

KB1

KB2

When comparing the KB1 between the KB2 (based on both Honda Acura versions), you can tell that the KB1 has a better design yet uses the archaic J35A3 engine with standard VTEC while the KB2 has went down on the design part but has better features and a new + better engine which is the J37A2 unit with i-VTEC.

You can thus see the trade-off. Hopefully, with the next-gen version, there would be no trade-offs (hopefully).

@regarding night vision

I found the pic

Unfortunately, it's only for JDM-spec models for the KB1 and KB2.

Hopefully, they could make it standard feature or at least an option (that will be available for all territories).

@DRLs

Some markets like Canada and Scandinavia require DRLs (though just lights). Perhaps in the next model (and with upcoming EU mandate), LED DRL lights *might* be part of the new model I think.

Hehe, let's continue on with the discussion

Ahh yes. I do agree and luckily the used car value for the KB1 isn't that high which means we can snag one without paying the ridiculous new car price for it (at least in Canada). My dad was quite impressed with it and would've never guessed it was a Honda/Acura.

Back to the discussion, they desperately need to distinguish it from its two siblings - TSX and TL.
Old 10-27-09, 06:33 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Just where do you stand on the RL? You praise it in one post and pan it in another.

I have always had a high opinion of this car, and, except for the parrot-beak grille on the American-market RL, have never panned it.

honestly it's the best acura i've ever driven(ive driven almost every acuras except NSX), but driving is one thing, look is another. it's too bad because i love how it drives.

ride - superb for v6
interior - awesome
exterior design - utter failure
road presence - non existent
beak - offends 95% of people. (but i find myself getting used to acura's new grille design. something is wrong with me)
price - it looks like a 35k car from outside. it could be an accord.

I hate hating RL.. I've owned 01 CLS, 03 MDX, and 3 other hondas. kinda sad..
Old 10-27-09, 06:41 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

also i'm kinda surprised how RL only gets 16/22 rating. i know it's AWD, but it's honda and it's v6. Genesis v8 is heavier, bigger and gets 17/25.
Old 10-27-09, 06:47 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i bet acura will sell 10 times more if RL looked like that.
Old 10-27-09, 06:50 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

The fact that Acura, unlike the other luxury brands, does not offer RWD or AWD as standard, and does not offer a V8 or turbocharged or supercharged V6, has made me stray away from the brand more than once. Acura has always made me feel like they're Hondas with leather and sunroof standard, especially the CSX, which is essentially a Civic with leather, a sunroof, and paddle-shifters.

I wouldn't mind spending $1-2000 more on an Acura if RWD or AWD was standard. I think it's just pathetic that a luxury brand still makes FWD vehicles but sells it at the same price as its RWD competitors.
Old 10-27-09, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
The fact that Acura, unlike the other luxury brands, does not offer RWD or AWD as standard, .
I think that SH-AWD is standard on the MDX and RDX. It is definitely standard on the RL.
Old 10-27-09, 08:25 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I think that SH-AWD is standard on the MDX and RDX. It is definitely standard on the RL.
That's a moot point because those are the most expensive models.
Old 10-27-09, 08:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I really like SH-AWD, but most folks just see it as an AWD system so it doesn't really stands out. Acura needs to differentiate themselves even further. They can't rely on SH-AWD for long because many other brands are catching up with their own torque-vectoring system.
Old 10-28-09, 01:01 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GSteg
I really like SH-AWD, but most folks just see it as an AWD system so it doesn't really stands out. Acura needs to differentiate themselves even further. They can't rely on SH-AWD for long because many other brands are catching up with their own torque-vectoring system.
The system itself is real neat. Still, they could do some improvements (like making the system lose a bit of weight, etc.) but so far, it is a solid drivetrain.

With that said, why not just make the entire Acura lineup SH-AWD (like what Subaru is doing with their Symmetrical AWD technology)? Sure it's gonna be more expensive but hey, at least it has standard AWD

Still, I'm bothered with what's going on with their automobile engines and powertrain division. I say that cause for instance, Advanced VTEC (which was supposed to be the successor to the outdated K-series) is still not here.

So it's puzzling to note why not much is going on in that aspect....
Old 10-28-09, 05:32 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

According to their CEO, they are going to go green. making their entire lineup SH-AWD will not be green.
Old 10-28-09, 06:57 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by The G Man
According to their CEO, they are going to go green. making their entire lineup SH-AWD will not be green.
Making their entire lineup hybrids does not make them any greener.
Old 10-28-09, 07:06 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Making their entire lineup hybrids does not make them any greener.
Not doing anything, which is precisely what H/A is doing, does not make them any greener either.
Old 10-28-09, 08:24 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

So what is Acura's flagship car? Is it the ZDX or the RL, if Acura doesnt know, how do they expect the customer to know
Old 10-28-09, 08:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

seriously, i will try to understand when they actually make up their mind. before that, i am not spending much time on acura

Quick Reply: Next-Generation Acura RL to Reassert Flagship Position Within Acura Lineup; stays V-6