Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-Generation Acura RL to Reassert Flagship Position Within Acura Lineup; stays V-6

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 04:21 PM
LexFather

Mike the LS is the flagship period. The LS was THE Lexus before the LFA. When u think Lexus u think LS.
Acura isn't tier 1 and they stated they are not . They have now given up those aspirations.
The rl and zdx r midlevel in price and execution period.

Old 10-28-09, 04:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mike the LS is the flagship period. The LS was THE Lexus before the LFA. When u think Lexus u think LS.
Yes, I generally think that way (as you do) but a number of car people don't. They see the LX as a co-flagship.

Acura isn't tier 1 and they stated they are not. They have now given up those aspirations.
Like I said, I'm not getting involved in that (in this thread). If Acura itself decides to pull out, that is up to them....and is their buisness.

The rl and zdx r midlevel in price and execution period.
Guess it depends on where you define "mid-level". 53K for a new RL, while not an enormous amount, is pretty good money, certainly not chump change. If you don't mind me guessing, that's probably about what you paid for a new GS460H.
Old 10-28-09, 04:54 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The addition of expensive SUV's to today's auto market, unfortunately, has muddied the waters a little on how to define a company's "flagship". In a conventional sense, I agree with you that the LS is the flagship, if you simply consider sedans/coupes......in other words, regular passenger cars. But if you look at base and sticker prices (one of the classic indicators of an automaker's heiarchy) you will find that many LX models list for more than their LS cousins. The only real exception, of course, is the LS600H.....that, of course, meets the definition of a "flagship" any way you look at it.
i disagree completely. price is not a definite value of flagship. and the key is lexus never use the word flagship with the LX, it's always with the LS, period. there isn't any confusion on this at all. it's just like the mb s class, that's flagship, you won't see the sl being flagship although it's more expensive most of the time

on the other hand acura is confusing starting from their press
Old 10-28-09, 05:18 PM
LexFather

Smile

Originally Posted by rominl
i disagree completely. price is not a definite value of flagship. and the key is lexus never use the word flagship with the LX, it's always with the LS, period. there isn't any confusion on this at all. it's just like the mb s class, that's flagship, you won't see the sl being flagship although it's more expensive most of the time

on the other hand acura is confusing starting from their press
Yeah I agree here. Even though a GS can hit 65k with options it's a midlevel car and the entire segment is.

Old 10-28-09, 05:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I agree here. Even though a GS can hit 65k with options it's a midlevel car and the entire segment is.
I hope you didn't have to cough out that much for your hybrid (the top-level GS). That's a lot of cash.
Old 10-28-09, 05:40 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl

OK, we'll leave it at that. No sense tossing the issue back and forth.
Old 10-28-09, 05:47 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Never mind the LS600hL, the most expensive LS460L anyone can configure is at least $10,000+ more than a loaded LX570, so even when you look at prices, the LX570 cannot be considered a flagship.
Old 10-28-09, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Never mind the LS600hL, the most expensive LS460L anyone can configure is at least $10,000+ more than a loaded LX570, so even when you look at prices, the LX570 cannot be considered a flagship.
You wouldn't have it any other way, Andrew.

(just kidding)

I still remember when you bought your LS. We were all guessing the color for a long time.
Old 10-28-09, 08:29 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found some interesting info from another site/forum:

Prior to the collapse of Lehman Brothers, Ito says Honda was developing a V8, an RWD platform and a larger successor to the Civic.
Originally Posted by Ito
We are taking more time to rethink the new Civic and all our models. We had to revisit our development work and planning to comply with the change in the environment
So assuming this information is true, that means Honda cancelled the V8 project, they cancelled their RWD platform, and they cancelled a larger Civic.

That means the current-gen Civic might have a longer, stretched life cycle.

“The team is struggling,” admits Ito. “We are injecting more manpower to meet our target.”
Originally Posted by Ito
The easiest option would be to make products cheaper, but we have to not only cut the price but also maintain the highest quality. This applies to all models, but the biggest is the world Civic.
So Honda seems to be overhauling their future product plans, yet Honda claims they don't have money and they are lacking manpower.

Cheaper, lighter, more efficient products would be welcomed, but right now it still seems the company is in disarray and rife with internal conflict.

From a competition point-of-view, not good for Honda no matter how you look at it. Overhauling their future products will delay them putting Honda under more competitive pressure.
Old 10-28-09, 08:37 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Why doesn't Honda have the resources? They are the 2nd largest automaker in Japan. I understand that they haven't been selling as many cars as they would like, but nevertheless, they gotta have something. If Ford can do it they should be able to.
Old 10-28-09, 08:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Why doesn't Honda have the resources? They are the 2nd largest automaker in Japan. I understand that they haven't been selling as many cars as they would like, but nevertheless, they gotta have something. If Ford can do it they should be able to.
Quite frankly I am beyond tired of the "talk". One day they say this, the other day that, then they change their minds, then they blame this, then this is where they are going.

They should be pleased this is a big thread considering we are basically talking about hot air.

I've just read TODAY that Acura will be getting a car slotted BELOW the TSX to drive volume. I mean they talk so much I won't even make another thread about it.

Old 10-28-09, 08:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I've just read TODAY that Acura will be getting a car slotted BELOW the TSX to drive volume. I mean they talk so much I won't even make another thread about it.
But you'd sure POST in it. On that, I'd bet the monthly rent.
Old 10-28-09, 09:04 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Well see that is the big mystery. Even Honda fans have no idea why Honda doesn't have the resources.

Quite frankly I am beyond tired of the "talk". One day they say this, the other day that, then they change their minds, then they blame this, then this is where they are going.

They should be pleased this is a big thread considering we are basically talking about hot air.

Interesting point . That car sounds like the CSX we have here in Canada, which is just a rebadged Civic. Sounds like Honda wants Acura to go both downmarket *and* upmarket at the same time .
Old 10-29-09, 05:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Lexus's flagship is the LS, BMW have the 7 series as their flagship. MB's flagship is the S-class and Audi is the A8. Acura use to call the RL their flagship until its sales numbers took a dump, now the ZDX is their flagship because the RL is not selling well and they want the ZDX to get off to a good start. Pretty soon the new RL will be their flagship again. You guys see a pattern here, Acura is more confuse than their customers as to what car is their flagship. This is a sure sign of a company that has lost it root identity and future direction. It almost seem like Acura at this point is just throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.
Old 10-29-09, 07:21 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ZDX will save the day, right-oh.

Quick Reply: Next-Generation Acura RL to Reassert Flagship Position Within Acura Lineup; stays V-6