Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Next-Generation Acura RL to Reassert Flagship Position Within Acura Lineup; stays V-6

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-09, 11:35 PM
LexFather

Post Next-Generation Acura RL to Reassert Flagship Position Within Acura Lineup; stays V-6

http://blog.caranddriver.com/next-ge...-acura-lineup/

Next-Generation Acura RL to Reassert Flagship Position Within Acura Lineup
October 6, 2009 at 11:56 am by Steve Siler

2010 Acura RLWhile attending the first drive event for the Acura ZDX in Los Angeles, I had dinner with several Acura executives and talked quite a bit of shop that had little to do with the ZDX but lots to do with the rest of Acura’s lineup. The most interesting tidbit I gleaned from the meal regards the positioning of Acura’s two larger sedans—specifically the TL’s assumption of the position of the sportiest, most powerful and, to many (especially enthusiasts), most desirable car in Acura’s lineup, a spot that used to belong to the RL and its forebear, the legendary Legend.

That Acura’s “Jan Brady” is talented and sexy is certainly not a problem in and of itself, but what about “Marcia,” the RL? Yeah, remember that, the so-called “flagship” of the brand? The execs on hand recognized that the similarly sized TL, which costs $35,915 for the 280-hp, front-drive version and $44,195 in loaded, 305-hp, all-wheel-drive form, offers a set of product strengths that renders the $47,640 RL—available only with a 300-hp V-6 and all-wheel drive—difficult to market at the very best and all but irrelevant at worst: a prototypical case of elders being eaten by their young.

We are assured by Acura, however, that when the new model arrives, which we expect within two years (Acura is annoyingly tight-lipped about future products), there will be more distance created between the two models. But don’t expect the next RL to emulate the rear-wheel-drive, V-8 formula of most of its competitors, which include the Hyundai Genesis, the Lexus GS460, and the BMW 550i. Rumors that have suggested such a scenario have long been disproved, and Acura spokesmen reaffirmed that at our dinner, asserting that the relatively low take rate of V-8s in the segment and what it sees as shifting sensibilities on the part of luxury car customers will render a larger, more luxury-focused yet still V-6–powered RL right where it needs to be, particularly if gas prices rise over $4 per gallon again. We’re not sure if we’re looking into the same crystal ball as Acura is, but in any case, it will be nice to see a more distinct RL in the future.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-24-09 at 11:39 PM.

Old 10-25-09, 01:42 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think that in the future the V6 route is going to be a wise idea, but in terms of reputation it doesnt help. In the future people will not be selecting cars in terms of power as much as efficiency, technology, communications, and safety
Old 10-25-09, 01:46 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Well its nice to hear that they want to make it more unique compared to say the TL, but I just don't understand their mentality. They want to be green. Cool, I get that, but if they want to play with the big dogs then they need to either start developing some RWD and or V8s or consider other options such as a turbocharged V6 much like Ford's EcoBoost. Lots of luxury is not going to make up for lack of power and sportiness found in their competitors.
Old 10-25-09, 05:02 AM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seriously would take the Genesis V8 over the RL anyday even if Hyundai's build quality isn't as solid as Acura's
Old 10-25-09, 05:37 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsantiago
I seriously would take the Genesis V8 over the RL anyday even if Hyundai's build quality isn't as solid as Acura's
The 6 is actually better than V8 if you drive them back-to-back and both leave the Acura in the rear view...
Old 10-25-09, 07:22 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Well its nice to hear that they want to make it more unique compared to say the TL, but I just don't understand their mentality. They want to be green. Cool, I get that, but if they want to play with the big dogs then they need to either start developing some RWD and or V8s or consider other options such as a turbocharged V6 much like Ford's EcoBoost. Lots of luxury is not going to make up for lack of power and sportiness found in their competitors.
I somewhat agree.

However, SH-AWD was one of the main unique strong points of this vehicle. I suggest that they continue with that
Old 10-25-09, 07:57 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

Acura spokesmen reaffirmed that at our dinner, asserting that the relatively low take rate of V-8s in the segment and what it sees as shifting sensibilities on the part of luxury car customers will render a larger, more luxury-focused yet still V-6–powered RL right where it needs to be, particularly if gas prices rise over $4 per gallon again.

If gas price is a concern, one shouldn't be looking at a luxury car in the first place. There is a reason why the 6-cyl model outsells its 8 cyl counterpart. Oh well. V8 will never be in Acura's vocabulary.
Old 10-25-09, 09:28 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

The V8 may not be a big volume seller, but having that option is part of being a luxury car maker. No V8 for me, no tier 1 luxury for you!
Old 10-25-09, 10:49 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

RL sales as a volume seller, not happening even with V6. Sales numbers are incredibly low.
Old 10-25-09, 11:37 AM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

i've seen TWO new RLs on the road since launch.

I spend a lot of time in La Jolla where disposable income seems to be unlimited, even in this "recession," and the new RL just isn't present.
Old 10-25-09, 12:39 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Old 10-25-09, 01:02 PM
TCM55
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
If gas price is a concern, one shouldn't be looking at a luxury car in the first place. There is a reason why the 6-cyl model outsells its 8 cyl counterpart. Oh well. V8 will never be in Acura's vocabulary.
I have to disagree with you on that, just because something is luxury doesn't mean it should also use an excess amount of gas. I think a lot of people, including myself would like a good compromise, some luxury and reasonable on gas. Not spending a lot on gas in itself is sort of a nice luxury. Look at the HS 250h, luxury with fairly good fuel economy.
Old 10-25-09, 01:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,396 Likes on 1,570 Posts

Originally Posted by TCM55
I have to disagree with you on that, just because something is luxury doesn't mean it should also use an excess amount of gas. I think a lot of people, including myself would like a good compromise, some luxury and reasonable on gas. Not spending a lot on gas in itself is sort of a nice luxury. Look at the HS 250h, luxury with fairly good fuel economy.
or put another way, some people spend a fortune on a car but still moan about a raise of 10c on a gallon of gas.

about not having a V8 - honda has never been 'traditional' and they may have other things up their sleeve, we don't know.

and while the bmw 5 series offers a v8, i bet 550 sales are tiny, given the great power and incredible smoothness of the 535i (tt i6).

honda definitely needs a much better engine, which they're definitely capable of doing. they could stick with sh-awd, but the extra weight doesn't help the equation.

anyway, i wouldn't count honda/acura out.
Old 10-25-09, 02:19 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I expect Acura to utilize twin turbo V6 engines ala GM & Ford. Honda/Acura makes some fabulous engines and has the pedigree to deliver.. Acura continues to be picked on by the school yard bullies. But you know what? Bullies tend to lose in the end..

This ALMS car is a true winner...

Old 10-25-09, 02:24 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

everything aside the car is straight ugly......

Quick Reply: Next-Generation Acura RL to Reassert Flagship Position Within Acura Lineup; stays V-6