Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ford Kuga to be Made in America; Could it Replace Escape?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 08:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed. But if they bring back the Cougar, it should be a REAL Cougar, preferably Mustang-based, not just a two-door coupe version of an existing sedan platform, like they did with the old Contour/Mystique. That "Cougar", to put it bluntly, was a joke, even with the V6. I remember reviewing and test-driving one, though I didn't write it up.

Let's also not get too far off-topic. The thread is about the Ford Kuga and the possibilities (?) of becoming a U.S. Ford model (or a Mercury).
Haha yeah that Cougar was a joke.

But yeah what I was getting at, is that the Ford Kuga and other ford models coming stateside don't necessarily have to be "Ford" branded. Why not badge them as Lincoln or Mercury. For instance, Ford could retain the Escape, while Mercury could receive the Kuga (perhaps renamed Mariner). The Kuga seems to be a very solid CUV inside and out. They just need a product that differentiates itself from its "Ford" brethren, and I think that the Kuga and other upcoming models could do the trick.
Old 10-27-09, 10:34 PM
ivanz
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not too bad looking...it would definitely sell in Canada (especially considering cars like the Mercedes B class sell like hotcakes around here). I'm surprised they didn't change the name of it, though. In Europe, it means either "the plague" in a large part of Eastern Europe or "penises" in Scandinavia.
Old 10-28-09, 12:43 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivanz
I'm surprised they didn't change the name of it, though. In Europe, it means either "the plague" in a large part of Eastern Europe or "penises" in Scandinavia.
Hahahaha, that's hilarious :lol: