Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mazda working on business case for Diesels in the USA

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-09, 11:43 PM
LexFather

Post Mazda working on business case for Diesels in the USA

Stop us if you've heard this one. A major global automaker with plans in place to increase fuel efficiency X percent by X date offers all kinds of cool diesel engines all over the world except in America. The reason? Americans don't buy diesels, they say. In this case, the automaker in question is Mazda, and the goal is to boost the fuel efficiency of its fleet of cars and trucks 30 percent by 2015.
http://green.autoblog.com/2009/10/24...els-in-america
According to Seita Kanai, head of research and development at Mazda, the Japanese automaker would need to sell at least 10,000 diesel engines in the States to make a profitable business case. Not surprisingly, Mazda is studying Volkswagen's recent success in offering diesels here in America to see if there's any chance of moving the required units.

Whatever the case, we know that Mazda has some worthwhile new powerplants that we'd love to see installed in the engine bays of products like the current Mazda3 and upcoming Mazda2.

Old 10-25-09, 08:59 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should be interesting (as this would provide more choice and variety).

Still, they would need to get past strict emissions regulations/standards in America which are really stringent on NOx and sulfur emissions (which is the majority pollutants in diesel fuel).

If they're successful though, then I guess they can start selling them
Old 10-25-09, 09:19 AM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

I've always been a fan of diesel engines and think they are a great alternative to a hybrid. If Mazda brings one to market, I'm getting one. 'Nough said.
Old 10-25-09, 06:15 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Although VW's U.S.-market TDI gets by without them, many other newer diesels require periodic urea-solution injections (normally every 10,000 miles or so) to pass EPA standards. When not offered by free factory maintenence, that is something that seems to be turning off some potential American buyers. Other than that, though, there seems to be little reason to reject or shun modern diesels. They have evolved to the point where they not only offer substantially more fuel mileage and more low-RPM torque than normally-aspirated gas engines, but start and run just as well, too. The days of loud diesel clatter, black sooty exhaust, hard cold-weather starts, long waits for glow-plug warm-up, fuel gelling, snail-like acceleration, and gross unreliability are long gone.
Old 10-25-09, 09:01 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I thought we would have more diesels in the pipe line from more manufactures. I am seeing more turbo motors, but less diesels than what I would have anticipated. So far it seems like the auto industry has responded relatively quickly to market demands
Old 10-25-09, 11:21 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Its probably only a matter of time before diesels pick up in sales, so now would be a good time for Mazda and other automakers to follow suit. If Mazda is considering it, they like VW foresee a possible future for diesel in the U.S.
Old 10-26-09, 06:42 AM
LexFather

I don't think diesels will ever catch on here. Seems the USA rather hybrids, or even EVs...

Old 10-26-09, 07:49 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Either way, it will take a while (unlike in Europe where diesel is in the majority ).

@anyways

They mentioned putting this in a Mazda 2 in the near future. Currently, the Y4 and Y6 diesel engines are from PSA Peugeot Citroen. Hence, it only being exclusive in Europe.

As such, in order to Mazda to spread their diesel lineup further, they would have to go for more diesel engines that are in-house produced (like the R2 engine)