Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

cop suspended after ticketing mayor’s son during checkpoint stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 11:02 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be a short lived satisfaction. Once its time for reelections, mayor will have to pay for this.
Old 10-27-09, 11:32 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Go check your state legal codes. Driving is NOT a right. It is a priviledge. A cop, legally, can check for a license any time he or she feels it is warranted. It is YOUR responsibility, as a driver, to have a VALID license/registration and to produce them upon request. That is not hassling.

As for the Mayor, he probably owes the cop an apology.....and, IMO, a promotion to Sergeant. He also needs to sit down with his son and give him a good chewing out....in addition to the ticket.
Well of course the government is going to say it is a privilege, how else can they maintain control of and tax it?

How is it not ludicrous to think that driving is a privilege granted to us by the govt when it is the people who invented and manufacture automobiles, the people who work to buy their automobiles, and the people who foot the bill to build roads?

There have also been several court cases stating that driving and traveling on public highways is a right so obviously the issue isn't as black and white as you are making it out to be.

And from my own experience, police can not pull you over for no reason, even if just to check ID. They still need reasonable suspicion.
Old 10-27-09, 11:55 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JonSC4
Well of course the government is going to say it is a privilege, how else can they maintain control of and tax it?

How is it not ludicrous to think that driving is a privilege granted to us by the govt when it is the people who invented and manufacture automobiles, the people who work to buy their automobiles, and the people who foot the bill to build roads?

There have also been several court cases stating that driving and traveling on public highways is a right so obviously the issue isn't as black and white as you are making it out to be.

And from my own experience, police can not pull you over for no reason, even if just to check ID. They still need reasonable suspicion.
what court cases do you speak of? i have never heard of any precedent in the federal or state courts that promote driving as a right. your logic in the first sentence is quite skewed.
Old 10-27-09, 12:19 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lots of inaccurate information there.

Ultimately, it's the Law.
Old 10-27-09, 12:25 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of whiners in this thread..

waah waah waah, person with authority punishes cop for harassing his kid...

Good. Maybe the guy with the badge will learn that he's not the highest of mightys just because he carries a badge and a gun.
Old 10-27-09, 12:32 PM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by huddleston
what court cases do you speak of? i have never heard of any precedent in the federal or state courts that promote driving as a right. your logic in the first sentence is quite skewed.
"The Right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by horse drawn carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city can prohibit or permit at will, but a common Right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson vs. Smith, 154 SE 579.

"The right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, in the ordinary course of life and business, is a common right which he has under the right to enjoy life and liberty, to acquire and possess property, and to pursue happiness and safety. It includes the right, in so doing, to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day, and under the existing modes of travel, includes the right to drive a horse drawn carriage or wagon thereon or to operate an automobile thereon, for the usual and ordinary purpose of life and business." Teche Lines vs. Danforth, Miss., 12 S.2d 784; Thompson vs. Smith, supra.

"The use of the highways for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common and fundamental Right of which the public and the individual cannot be rightfully deprived." Chicago Motor Coach vs. Chicago

"Complete freedom of the highways is so old and well established a blessing that we have forgotten the days of the Robber Barons and toll roads, and yet, under an act like this, arbitrarily administered, the highways may be completely monopolized, if, through lack of interest, the people submit, then they may look to see the most sacred of their liberties taken from them one by one, by more or less rapid encroachment." Robertson vs. Department of Public Works, 180 Wash 133, 147.

"Heretofore the court has held, and we think correctly, that while a Citizen has the Right to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, that Right does not extend to the use of the highways, either in whole or in part, as a place of business for private gain." Barney vs. Board of Railroad Commissioners, 17 P.2d 82; Willis vs. Buck, 263 P.l 982.
Old 10-27-09, 12:33 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Originally Posted by NemeGuero
Lots of whiners in this thread..
Who is whining? I saw no one make a personal reference at all about being harassed or giving an anecdote about it.

waah waah waah, person with authority punishes cop for harassing his kid...
You would rather the "mayor" be allowed to do whatever he wants to someone who was sworn to uphold a law and did so? What are we living in, a bad TV show from the early 80's??

Good. Maybe the guy with the badge will learn that he's not the highest of mightys just because he carries a badge and a gun.
He did his job. The law is very clear that drivers who are approaching a checkpoint and avoid it are subject to immediate stop and search. It's to prevent drunks from simply driving around them (provided, of course, they have the ability in their stupor).

What I fail to see is why you think the cop was, in this case and this case alone, trying to go outside of his duty to ticket the kid. The kid did something wrong (twice), and that merited the ticket. What the "mayor" did was egregiously wrong, and merits his termination by the city. I have a feeling that will be forthcoming now that this has hit the wires.

what court cases do you speak of? i have never heard of any precedent in the federal or state courts that promote driving as a right.
I have seen plenty of cases to the contrary - when driving privileges are revoked for a period of time.

your logic in the first sentence is quite skewed.
Wait...there was logic in there? I musta missed that.

Big Mack
Old 10-27-09, 12:34 PM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Lots of inaccurate information there.

Ultimately, it's the Law.

What information is inaccurate?
Old 10-27-09, 12:36 PM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Big Mack

I have seen plenty of cases to the contrary - when driving privileges are revoked for a period of time. Driving is ABSOLUELY not a right, but a privilege, and that's why it is spelled out that way when rulings are made.
And I just listed cases and quotes that say otherwise. Like I said, this obviously is not a black and white issue. I'm sure there are cases that support what you are saying and although I hate seeing contradictions like this in court rulings, it does make for interesting debates.
Old 10-27-09, 12:41 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Big Mack, you weren't there, (nor was I) to know how the cop actually handled the situation. But as the mayor said.. that was his main complaint.

The officers manner of conduct, not what he did.. (his job).

Maybe nobody will ever know. And re-read this thread.. plenty of people are whining. Me? I couldn't care less.

I just find comments like "I hate reading threads like this" hilarious.

Or..

"God, I hate it when people in power abuse their power." Welcome to Capitalist America. lol

MY PENI* IS BIGGER!! haha
Old 10-27-09, 12:51 PM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

"God, I hate it when people in power abuse their power." Welcome to every country on the planet
Fixed that for you
Old 10-27-09, 12:57 PM
Big Mack
Lexus Champion

Cool

Big Mack, you weren't there, (nor was I) to know how the cop actually handled the situation. But as the mayor said.. that was his main complaint.

The officers manner of conduct, not what he did.. (his job).
So the "mayor" was there? Or did the mayor simply rely on what his kid told him, and then proceeded to act incorrectly? He's an idiot, plain and simple. The cop did his job, and because the "mayor" didn't like that his kid was the one given a ticket (for doing two things wrong), he did something worse. Like I said, we should see his termination for being a complete jackass.

Maybe nobody will ever know. And re-read this thread.. plenty of people are whining. Me? I couldn't care less.

I just find comments like "I hate reading threads like this" hilarious.

Or..

"God, I hate it when people in power abuse their power." Welcome to Capitalist America. lol

MY PENI* IS BIGGER!! haha
I don't think they were whining, simply commenting on how it seems to be a recurring theme. Douche gets power, douche abuses power. And the vicious cycle continues.

And my pepe cures cancer. Prove to me that it doesn't!! LOL.

Big Mack
Old 10-27-09, 01:04 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What information is inaccurate?
Facts and Laws >> our opinions.

Let's see where this case will head. It seems that the Mayor dealt with the situation in a way that he shouldn't have (like the kid could have gone to court to address the situation).
Old 10-27-09, 01:09 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Nobody said he didn't have a license. He just didn't have it on him.

And we weren't there to know how poorly the situation was handled.

But yeah, power abuse. So what? Stick it to 'em!

Cops need to spend their time catching the bad guys. Not catching the people driving who left their wallets at home.
OK, so if he didnt have his license on him, do you think the cop is just gonna go make the kid go home and get his license and drive back to show him? I dont know how this is the cop's fault.. He ticketed a young man for driving without his license on him. This young man was the mayor's son, so the mayor goes crazy and fires the poor cop for doing his job. What has the cop done wrong?
Old 10-27-09, 01:12 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

"The Right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by horse drawn carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city can prohibit or permit at will, but a common Right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson vs. Smith, 154 SE 579.

"The right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, in the ordinary course of life and business, is a common right which he has under the right to enjoy life and liberty, to acquire and possess property, and to pursue happiness and safety. It includes the right, in so doing, to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day, and under the existing modes of travel, includes the right to drive a horse drawn carriage or wagon thereon or to operate an automobile thereon, for the usual and ordinary purpose of life and business." Teche Lines vs. Danforth, Miss., 12 S.2d 784; Thompson vs. Smith, supra.

"The use of the highways for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common and fundamental Right of which the public and the individual cannot be rightfully deprived." Chicago Motor Coach vs. Chicago

"Complete freedom of the highways is so old and well established a blessing that we have forgotten the days of the Robber Barons and toll roads, and yet, under an act like this, arbitrarily administered, the highways may be completely monopolized, if, through lack of interest, the people submit, then they may look to see the most sacred of their liberties taken from them one by one, by more or less rapid encroachment." Robertson vs. Department of Public Works, 180 Wash 133, 147.

"Heretofore the court has held, and we think correctly, that while a Citizen has the Right to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, that Right does not extend to the use of the highways, either in whole or in part, as a place of business for private gain." Barney vs. Board of Railroad Commissioners, 17 P.2d 82; Willis vs. Buck, 263 P.l 982.
You need a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle, which you need to go on most public roads. So what's your point?

Quick Reply: cop suspended after ticketing mayor’s son during checkpoint stop