Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

cop suspended after ticketing mayor’s son during checkpoint stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 01:19 PM
NemeGuero
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Big Mack
So the "mayor" was there? Or did the mayor simply rely on what his kid told him, and then proceeded to act incorrectly? He's an idiot, plain and simple. The cop did his job, and because the "mayor" didn't like that his kid was the one given a ticket (for doing two things wrong), he did something worse. Like I said, we should see his termination for being a complete jackass.

I don't think they were whining, simply commenting on how it seems to be a recurring theme. Douche gets power, douche abuses power. And the vicious cycle continues.

And my pepe cures cancer. Prove to me that it doesn't!! LOL.

Big Mack
LMFAO..

nice pic.. haha
Old 10-27-09, 03:00 PM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
You need a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle, which you need to go on most public roads. So what's your point?
I concur with FisforFast. If the child did not have a driver's license, those 'rights' are invalid.
Old 10-27-09, 03:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by JonSC4
"The Right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by horse drawn carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city can prohibit or permit at will, but a common Right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson vs. Smith, 154 SE 579.

"The right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, in the ordinary course of life and business, is a common right which he has under the right to enjoy life and liberty, to acquire and possess property, and to pursue happiness and safety. It includes the right, in so doing, to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day, and under the existing modes of travel, includes the right to drive a horse drawn carriage or wagon thereon or to operate an automobile thereon, for the usual and ordinary purpose of life and business." Teche Lines vs. Danforth, Miss., 12 S.2d 784; Thompson vs. Smith, supra.

"The use of the highways for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common and fundamental Right of which the public and the individual cannot be rightfully deprived." Chicago Motor Coach vs. Chicago

"Complete freedom of the highways is so old and well established a blessing that we have forgotten the days of the Robber Barons and toll roads, and yet, under an act like this, arbitrarily administered, the highways may be completely monopolized, if, through lack of interest, the people submit, then they may look to see the most sacred of their liberties taken from them one by one, by more or less rapid encroachment." Robertson vs. Department of Public Works, 180 Wash 133, 147.

"Heretofore the court has held, and we think correctly, that while a Citizen has the Right to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, that Right does not extend to the use of the highways, either in whole or in part, as a place of business for private gain." Barney vs. Board of Railroad Commissioners, 17 P.2d 82; Willis vs. Buck, 263 P.l 982.

Here, my friend, is the law.....and the driving Priviledges in your own state of FL. I don't know if you have read it or not, but if not, you should have, when you got your license. Similiar traffic codes exist in all 50 states.

http://www.123driving.com/drivers-handbook2.shtml

Florida Driver’s Handbook - Chapter 2 Driving Privilege
You are Here: Traffic School » Florida Drivers Manual » Chapter 2 - Driving Privilege

The Florida drivers handbook is your guide to getting a Florida drivers license. Inside the drivers manual you will find driving laws, explanations of how to get your drivers license, and details of the different types of drivers licenses Florida offers.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-27-09 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 05:24 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not to be cynical but its basically a case of 2 power abusers. and the one whos used to having more power is butthurt he is suspended
Old 10-27-09, 05:38 PM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JonSC4
"The Right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by horse drawn carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city can prohibit or permit at will, but a common Right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson vs. Smith, 154 SE 579.

"The right of the Citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, in the ordinary course of life and business, is a common right which he has under the right to enjoy life and liberty, to acquire and possess property, and to pursue happiness and safety. It includes the right, in so doing, to use the ordinary and usual conveyances of the day, and under the existing modes of travel, includes the right to drive a horse drawn carriage or wagon thereon or to operate an automobile thereon, for the usual and ordinary purpose of life and business." Teche Lines vs. Danforth, Miss., 12 S.2d 784; Thompson vs. Smith, supra.

"The use of the highways for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common and fundamental Right of which the public and the individual cannot be rightfully deprived." Chicago Motor Coach vs. Chicago

"Complete freedom of the highways is so old and well established a blessing that we have forgotten the days of the Robber Barons and toll roads, and yet, under an act like this, arbitrarily administered, the highways may be completely monopolized, if, through lack of interest, the people submit, then they may look to see the most sacred of their liberties taken from them one by one, by more or less rapid encroachment." Robertson vs. Department of Public Works, 180 Wash 133, 147.

"Heretofore the court has held, and we think correctly, that while a Citizen has the Right to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, that Right does not extend to the use of the highways, either in whole or in part, as a place of business for private gain." Barney vs. Board of Railroad Commissioners, 17 P.2d 82; Willis vs. Buck, 263 P.l 982.
People have the right to travel (and drive) state to state. However states may regulate drivers in their state as long as the regulation is not discriminatory against non-state residents, unduly burdensome and since it is a fundamental right any limitation must promote a compelling state interest. For example, states can place a minimum age to drive (the Constitution does not list an age) and this can be done because it passes Constitutional scrutiny. Also those who are physically or mentally impaired cannot obtain a drivers license because it is unsafe for the state to do so. Moreover, states can set up toll roads/bridges requiring you to pay to use the road/bridge thereby restricting your ability to travel on it. So yes, traveling /driving is a right but it can be limited and in some cases revoked (with Due Process).

Back on topic, that mayor is a tool for suspending the officer for equally applying the law regardless of the person's status.

Last edited by LB Lex; 10-27-09 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 06:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LB Lex
People have the right to travel (and drive) state to state. However states may regulate drivers in their state as long as the regulation is not discriminatory against non-state residents, unduly burdensome and since it is a fundamental right any limitation must promote a compelling state interest. For example, states can place a minimum age to drive (the Constitution does not list an age) and this can be done because it passes Constitutional scrutiny. Also those who are physically or mentally impaired cannot obtain a drivers license because it is unsafe for the state to do so. Moreover, states can set up toll roads/bridges requiring you to pay to use the road/bridge thereby restricting your ability to travel on it. So yes, traveling /driving is a right but it can be limited and in some cases revoked (with Due Process).

Back on topic, that mayor is a tool for suspending the officer for equally applying the law regardless of the person's status.
Some states are linking voter-registration rolls of the list of drivers licenses, and it is creating many instances of fraud and polling inaccuracies.
Old 10-27-09, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jakex1
not to be cynical but its basically a case of 2 power abusers. and the one whos used to having more power is butthurt he is suspended
You opinon noted and respected, but I fail to see how simply asking one to show a valid drivers' license and registration is an abuse of power. That is simply upholding state law.

Now, if the cop acted in an unacceptable manner by raising his voice, using insulting terms, ordering him out of the car for no reason, spread-eagle, or doing a pat-down or strip search, like you sometimes see on TV shows, that would be quite another matter. Then the cop would (maybe) deserve a reprimand or disciplinary action.
Old 10-27-09, 06:44 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You opinon noted and respected, but I fail to see how simply asking one to show a valid drivers' license and registration is an abuse of power. That is simply upholding state law.

Now, if the cop acted in an unacceptable manner by raising his voice, using insulting terms, ordering him out of the car for no reason, spread-eagle, or doing a pat-down or strip search, like you sometimes see on TV shows, that would be quite another matter. Then the cop would (maybe) deserve a reprimand or disciplinary action.
Yeah, I am always appaled when I watch Cops how easily a regular traffic stop always turns into a full-fledged search of the car and the arrest of the occupants. Something like that would probably never happen in Canada because a cop can't search your car unless you give them your permission, or unless they have a warrant.
Old 10-27-09, 07:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Yeah, I am always appaled when I watch Cops how easily a regular traffic stop always turns into a full-fledged search of the car and the arrest of the occupants. Something like that would probably never happen in Canada because a cop can't search your car unless you give them your permission, or unless they have a warrant.

On the COPS TV show, though (which, like you, I also watch), when they do search, they usually find something illegal, such as drugs, weapons, contraband, etc.....or an outstanding warrant for something previous. That, of course, is not always the case in real life. And it (probably) wasn't the case with the mayor's son either. Still, the cop, IMO, didn't do anything wrong....he simply asked, in a normal manner, for a driver's license.
Old 10-28-09, 12:20 AM
Faraaz23
Lexus Test Driver

This is an absolute absurdity. I hope that mayor gets it handed to him.

JonSC4 and any others against checkpoints, come down to Broward General with me for a day my friend I'll show you what a Level 1 trauma patient looks like who's been ejected through the windshield after being in a MVA unrestrained. And then not to mention the week they spend intubated, the multiple operations they need to repair the 17 fractures, and the months of painful rehab to regain strength and function. Oh yea, you also have a tube stuck in your pee-pee as you can't get up to urinate. What I'm describing is the person who's lucky enough to make a near-full or full recovery.
Old 10-28-09, 02:38 PM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hope the cop gets his suspension lifted and a public apology from the Mayer, then I hope the Mayer fails to get reelected when his time is up. I have no problem with DUI and other Road Check points because I always make it through whether stopped or not just fine. I have all my paper work up to date and they never have a reason to ticket me.

I say pull over all those other idiots for anything, ticket them, make them pay the fines. Better they pay than me. The more of these idiots the police can ticket the more money they can generate for the county/state, and the less I will have to suffer during these economic times. Might as well make those that get caught driving illegally, speed and whatnot and pay instead of the rest of us. Why should I care if those people have to pay fines? I'm not paying it.
Old 10-28-09, 02:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mayor needs to be checked and tested.
Old 10-28-09, 08:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I don't know what the mayor was thinking. The cop is right on this one
Old 10-28-09, 09:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I don't know what the mayor was thinking. The cop is right on this one
It's obvious, to me at least, what the mayor was thinking......at least until he cooled down a little. Same as a lot of other politicians think.....laws don't apply to them or their family.
Old 10-28-09, 09:52 PM
Jakex1
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall

nothing wrong with asking for a license/reg for breaking the law. But in the original post, it seems as though the cop went out of his way purposely to stop the kid (in hopes of handing out a ticket?) since the story doesnt state whether he left someone else in charge or not.

and i have no problem with the officer giving him the ticket, (for if he wasnt legal to drive/ no insurance its not good.) and once again thats the law.

But if the mayor flipped out to this point and was heated im sure there was a reason. We have yet to hear the sons side of the story.

And im gonna just make an assumption here, the fact that:

"he’s convinced he handled the situation correctly."

seems to imply what i said earlier, no matter what, he thinks hes right
Then again its just an assumption

TLR
we have yet to hear sons side of the story to justify or reprimand mayors action.
if officer just did a straight routine stop + ticket, mayor is at fault.

Quick Reply: cop suspended after ticketing mayor’s son during checkpoint stop