Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

cop suspended after ticketing mayor’s son during checkpoint stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 10:05 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

well the officer thought the kid was trying to dodge the checkpoint so he went after him.
Old 10-28-09, 11:18 PM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LiCelsior
well the officer thought the kid was trying to dodge the checkpoint so he went after him.
i support the cop in this situation.

also i'd like to point out that the court cases previously mentioned stipulated the right to TRAVEL on public roads, not to DRIVE on them.

ie-you can't be restricted (without due process) from being in a vehicle/horse drawn carriage on a public road. DRIVING said vehicle however is NOT a right. BEING DRIVEN by someone ELSE (provided they're licensed/insured/sober) is.
Old 10-29-09, 03:41 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

For those that watch "COPS" do you really think they act that way when they're off camera, or think they're off camera? The police officers on COPS are well aware they're on camera and I'm sure being more reserved. I don't think the officers that "spoke" with Rodney King would have done the same had they been on TV.

Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. It's just life... if someone can't abuse a little power once they get to the high chair, then why go there?
Old 10-29-09, 07:17 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd love to see the dash-cam of this stop get leaked to the press/internet. Then we could all form an educated opinion about who was right and who was wrong.
Old 10-29-09, 07:57 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jakex1
nothing wrong with asking for a license/reg for breaking the law. But in the original post, it seems as though the cop went out of his way purposely to stop the kid (in hopes of handing out a ticket?) since the story doesnt state whether he left someone else in charge or not.

and i have no problem with the officer giving him the ticket, (for if he wasnt legal to drive/ no insurance its not good.) and once again thats the law.

But if the mayor flipped out to this point and was heated im sure there was a reason. We have yet to hear the sons side of the story.

And im gonna just make an assumption here, the fact that:

"he’s convinced he handled the situation correctly."

seems to imply what i said earlier, no matter what, he thinks hes right
Then again its just an assumption

TLR
we have yet to hear sons side of the story to justify or reprimand mayors action.
if officer just did a straight routine stop + ticket, mayor is at fault.
You get mad when you get a ticket for tinted windows too don't you?

Routine stop? As others have said, why do you think the cops leave a way out at the checkpoints? If there's a line of 5 cars waiting and one pulls out to avoid the checkpoint, 9 times out of 10, it's not because they're being impatient.

Kid got what he deserved and hopefully the mayor will as well.
Old 10-29-09, 09:59 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
I'd love to see the dash-cam of this stop get leaked to the press/internet. Then we could all form an educated opinion about who was right and who was wrong.
The video from the dash-cam should be public domain soon, you just have to know where to look.
Old 10-29-09, 10:43 AM
xknowonex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonSC4
Obviously the mayor is very wrong and I'm sure this will backfire greatly on him but at the same time I think those checkpoint stops are bull**** so I really can't feel bad for the cop.
If you have nothing to hide or are not under the influence, you should not be worried
Old 10-29-09, 06:57 PM
pingu
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
You would prefer drunk drivers and unlicensed (and ultimately uninsured) people driving around?

The cop was protecting the community...
I would prefer no DUI checkpoints which violate my rights, the 4th amendment in particular. DUI checkpoints are required to have a turn out and are allowed to be bypassed. Unfortunately, most law enforcement agencies do not abide by the law.

Last edited by pingu; 10-29-09 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 03:20 AM
CK6Speed
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
I would prefer no DUI checkpoints which violate my rights, the 4th amendment in particular. DUI checkpoints are required to have a turn out and are allowed to be bypassed. Unfortunately, most law enforcement agencies do not abide by the law.
I would prefer all drunk drivers to be shot and killed on sight, but I guess we don't all get what we want. Don't blame the cops, blame the drunk drivers. If nobody drove drunk, DUI check points would never exist.
Old 10-30-09, 08:46 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by pingu
I would prefer no DUI checkpoints which violate my rights, the 4th amendment in particular.

Incorrect. Courts have held (even the Supreme Court itself) that most checkpoints DO NOT violate 4th-Amendment rights. That is because driving, in all 50 states, is not legally a right, but a privedge.
Old 10-30-09, 08:57 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Incorrect. Courts have held (even the Supreme Court itself) that most checkpoints DO NOT violate 4th-Amendment rights. That is because driving, in all 50 states, is not legally a right, but a privedge.

Sorry he's right and the Supreme Court DID say (in a split decision) that the checkpoints are a violation of the 4th amendment BUT they are a necessary violation for the greater good.

Although it's a silly argument to make in public to claim that you'd rather see drivers driving drunk than to submit yourself to a checkpoint search.

The Michigan Supreme Court found sobriety checkpoints to be a violation of the Fourth Amendment. However, in a split decision, the U.S. Supreme Court reversed the Michigan court. Although acknowledging that such roadblocks violate a fundamental constitutional right, Chief Justice Rehnquist argued that they are necessary in order to reduce drunk driving. That is, he argued that the end justifies the means. Attorney and law professor Lawrence Taylor refers to this as “the DUI exception to the Constitution.”

Dissenting justices emphasized that the Constitution doesn’t provide exceptions. "That stopping every car might make it easier to prevent drunken driving ... is an insufficient justification for abandoning the requirement of individualized suspicion," dissenting Justice Brennan insisted. 2

Chief Justice Rehnquist had argued that violating individual constitutional rights was justified because sobriety roadblocks were effective and necessary. But dissenting Justice Stevens pointed out that "the findings of the trial court, based on an extensive record and affirmed by the Michigan Court of Appeals, indicate that the net effect of sobriety checkpoints on traffic safety is infinitesimal and possibly negative." 3 And even if roadblocks were effective, the fact that they work wouldn’t justify violating individuals’ constitutional rights, justices argued.
Link
Old 10-30-09, 09:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Sorry he's right and the Supreme Court DID say (in a split decision) that the checkpoints are a violation of the 4th amendment BUT they are a necessary violation for the greater good.
That is because driving, legally, is not a right, but a priviledge. And any court, of course, has to weigh their desicions on individual freedoms vs. those of society as a whole. The Founding Fathers, when they wrote the 4th Amendment, also had to weigh those options......although, of course, cars and driving did not exist back then.

Although it's a silly argument to make in public to claim that you'd rather see drivers driving drunk than to submit yourself to a checkpoint search.
Agreed. Cell-phones and text-messaging, though, today, are becoming as much, if not more, of a driving hazard then alcohol. It's easy, of course, to hang up a a cell-phone or Blackberry when approaching a checkpoint.......not so easy, of course, to all of a sudden get sober and lower your BAC.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-09 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 12:25 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 4th ammendement wasnt created with vehicles capable of doing 100+ MPH and people behind the wheel of them under the influence.
Old 10-30-09, 12:42 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
The 4th ammendement wasnt created with vehicles capable of doing 100+ MPH and people behind the wheel of them under the influence.
btw - alcohol abuse and many related problems goes back to the beginning of time in the United States.

In CA to help sidestep the legal issues mentioned, checkpoints are well advertised in advance and clearly marked considerable distance from the actual checkpoint to allow alternate routes and detours. Amazing that the drunks still get snared as they should, but then maybe that's expected, they are wasted.
Old 10-30-09, 12:42 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Exactly.....you hit the nail on the head. That's why courts have ruled that, in most cases, DWI checks are OK.

I can think of one exception, though. If I overdid it, not with alcohol, but with Tex-Mex, and had diarrahea or colitis, and needed to get to a toilet fast, I wouldn't want to be held up unnecesarily, waiting in line, just to prove to some cop that I was sober, when I'm in fact a teetotaler and never drink in the first place.

Sometime nature calls...and calls fast.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-30-09 at 12:48 PM.

Quick Reply: cop suspended after ticketing mayor’s son during checkpoint stop