Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Jaguar Pusses Out Of Jalopnik Vs. GM Race

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-09, 02:11 PM
LexFather

Post Jaguar ****** Out Of Jalopnik Vs. GM Race

http://jalopnik.com/5391222

Jaguar PR just called saying they've withdrawn their pledge to let Wes race the XFR Thursday against GM's Bob Lutz in a Cadillac CTS-V. Apparently, not because they're afraid to lose, they're afraid the XFR just can't take it. Pussies.

It's true. Stuart Schorr, Jaguar's main product PR man, told us flat out he expected the XFR would lose to the CTS-V, so it's not that he's afraid to lose to "Maximum" Bob Lutz.

Instead, they're afraid the XFR can't handle the strain. Specifically, the brakes. Without better brake cooling, Schorr tells us his folks are concerned the XFR just cant put the necessary laps in.

So what does this mean for us? Well, it means we're still racing Lutz — except now, since Mercedes and now Jaguar weren't willing to stand by their product for five laps in a time attack race versus the CTS-V, we're beginning to believe the CTS-V is the only production luxury sedan on the market wiling to stand by its lofty claims of performance cred. So we'll race against Lutz using his own CTS-V — and probably the Evo we'll drive up there in.

Unless, of course, some other automaker's less feline than those we've already tried. Any automaker want to put their fast four-door where their mouth is — e-mail me.

Old 10-27-09, 02:15 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
http://jalopnik.com/5391222

Jaguar PR just called saying they've withdrawn their pledge to let Wes race the XFR Thursday against GM's Bob Lutz in a Cadillac CTS-V. Apparently, not because they're afraid to lose, they're afraid the XFR just can't take it. Pussies.

It's true. Stuart Schorr, Jaguar's main product PR man, told us flat out he expected the XFR would lose to the CTS-V, so it's not that he's afraid to lose to "Maximum" Bob Lutz.

Instead, they're afraid the XFR can't handle the strain. Specifically, the brakes. Without better brake cooling, Schorr tells us his folks are concerned the XFR just cant put the necessary laps in.

So what does this mean for us? Well, it means we're still racing Lutz — except now, since Mercedes and now Jaguar weren't willing to stand by their product for five laps in a time attack race versus the CTS-V, we're beginning to believe the CTS-V is the only production luxury sedan on the market wiling to stand by its lofty claims of performance cred. So we'll race against Lutz using his own CTS-V — and probably the Evo we'll drive up there in.

Unless, of course, some other automaker's less feline than those we've already tried. Any automaker want to put their fast four-door where their mouth is — e-mail me.
Wow, looks like some things never change. Jaguars seem to be as unreliable as ever .

Surprising Mercedes dropped out as well.
Old 10-27-09, 02:45 PM
ndk83
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What bout the m3 and m5? werent those supposed to race the CTS-V as well?
Old 10-27-09, 07:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Excuses excuses... for Jaguar and Mercedes
Old 10-28-09, 12:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A non-event cancelled, wow that's a non-event.
Old 10-28-09, 01:23 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Yep, Jag's getting ripped on the GM pages...
Old 10-28-09, 02:08 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

WTF?

So Jag builds a performance model that can't handle being pushed hard?
Old 10-28-09, 02:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Yep, Jag's getting ripped on the GM pages...
I believe it.

But Jag knows the premium car buyers rarely look at the GM pages. All they notice lately is the WSJ article about GMAC asking for billions more of government money.
Old 10-28-09, 05:41 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

What is to be gained by BMW, Mercedes, Jag, Lexus, or any other luxury automobile manufacturer in putting up a vehicle for this challenge? Nothing... that's what. It would be like Hyundai issuing a challenge with the V8 Genesis and calling Lexus, Audi, BMW, etc... a chicken for not sending out a car to compete against it.

These brands have nothing to gain and everything to lose. If Jalopnik wants to make a fuss, then pony up the money yourself and place a Jalopnik owned Jag/BMW/MB against the CTS-V.
Old 10-28-09, 07:10 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Now its CTS vs Evo X MR

http://forums.evolutionm.net/evo-x-g...-thursday.html
Old 10-28-09, 07:13 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RX300-BV
What is to be gained by BMW, Mercedes, Jag, Lexus, or any other luxury automobile manufacturer in putting up a vehicle for this challenge? Nothing... that's what. It would be like Hyundai issuing a challenge with the V8 Genesis and calling Lexus, Audi, BMW, etc... a chicken for not sending out a car to compete against it.

These brands have nothing to gain and everything to lose. If Jalopnik wants to make a fuss, then pony up the money yourself and place a Jalopnik owned Jag/BMW/MB against the CTS-V.
This challenge itself is quite pointless, but what is being discussed in this case is the fact that Jaguar are concerned the XFR's brakes would not last several laps, which is a quite frankly a huge dissapointment and a joke for a supposed high performance "sports sedan".
Old 10-28-09, 07:22 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

well, I guess one of the reason's due to things like 6 vs 8 comparison up the mountain with E550, 550i, XF, quattroporte, and Lincoln MKS, 550i's first, then MKS, E550, XF, Quattroporte.

people who throw down challenges most likely did their research to know they CAN win...

I don't know why bother putting in a EVO MR though, it's heavy, power wasting AWD, much less power than required in the race....
Old 10-28-09, 07:32 PM
LexFather

What happened to just having some "fun"? Isn't that what these vehicles are for. I doubt one car beats any other car by a huge margin. So what if you lose by .5 tenths of a second. What happened to do something to make ALL enthusiasts grin! Let the dumbasses on the internet bicker over things they have no idea about. Let them mock a car that loses by a second. Who cares. Participate, show up to the fight!

If the XFR can't handle the laps, then it shouldn't be labeled a XFR. Another example of a car with more and more power and everything else plays second fiddle.

I know its a different vehicle but what sold me on the IS-F was watching and taking and driving it from 9am to 5pm non stop on the track ***** OUT and the only thing that happened to one of the vehicles was one of the tires blew out and needed replacing.

The brakes held up like a champ. Mind you plenty of laps were with 4 people in the vehicle. The cars didn't need a break. The Engine's didn't overheat (remember the 335 that overheated vs the G37 in MT), the A/C blew cold air, the car handled amazingly.

For 8 hours.

Old 10-28-09, 07:33 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
well, I guess one of the reason's due to things like 6 vs 8 comparison up the mountain with E550, 550i, XF, quattroporte, and Lincoln MKS, 550i's first, then MKS, E550, XF, Quattroporte.

people who throw down challenges most likely did their research to know they CAN win...

I don't know why bother putting in a EVO MR though, it's heavy, power wasting AWD, much less power than required in the race....
Huh?

What is this statement based on? Any seat experience?

MR is 11-12 sec slower then the CTS V around the ring. Thats a small margin considering the power difference and the long stretches the ring has.

on a shorter, tighter track or on a skip pad, MR will eat CTS V alive.
Old 10-28-09, 07:35 PM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
What happened to just having some "fun"?
I hear you, but due all sorts of PR BS and legal issues, the fun part has been murdered.

Quick Reply: Jaguar Pusses Out Of Jalopnik Vs. GM Race