Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 535xi :thumbup: or :thumbdn:

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 10:01 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 715 Likes on 492 Posts

I agree with the A6 suggestions. It's my favorite in the segment (E,5,GS)
Old 10-30-09, 10:18 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen K
I agree with the A6 suggestions. It's my favorite in the segment (E,5,GS)
to the A6....and nothing to do with the car itself.

I stopped by the local Audi dealership yesterday. Popped in to the showroom, looked at several vehicles, sat in a used A6...checked out everything it had...wandered around some more...and the only person that even acknowledged that I was in the building was a tech that walked by.

It was really odd. It's not like I rolled up in a t shirt and jeans in a beat up Dodge. I had my F parked right out front and was dressed in business casual. I spend more than my fair share on my vehicles and wasn't just window shopping. Oh well, BMW or Benz or Lexus will be happy to take my money instead.

My friend who is on his 5th Audi, admitted to me yesterday, that while he loves the cars, the dealerships are less than adequate.

I guess there's a reason the Audi drivers around here are douchebags....it starts at the dealership.
Old 10-30-09, 10:35 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 715 Likes on 492 Posts

I have to agree with you on the dealership experience. Where I am if you don't have an appointment they couldn't care less about you. I do like the car though
Old 10-30-09, 10:54 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, that dealership experience is really unfortunate. It really bothers me when sales people don't even want to aknowlegde you; with out you, the customer, they have no job!

Maybe just figure out what kind of A6 you're looking for, walk up to one of them and say 'ok, I want a this, this and this, go find it for me' ... I pulled that at the local stuck up bimmer dealership, they happened to not have what I wanted, but they deffinitely decided to try and sell me something.
Old 10-30-09, 11:04 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Faymester
Hmm, that dealership experience is really unfortunate. It really bothers me when sales people don't even want to aknowlegde you; with out you, the customer, they have no job!

Maybe just figure out what kind of A6 you're looking for, walk up to one of them and say 'ok, I want a this, this and this, go find it for me' ... I pulled that at the local stuck up bimmer dealership, they happened to not have what I wanted, but they deffinitely decided to try and sell me something.
I understand what you're saying, but strong customer service is something I expect when spending this kind of cash. If the sales department is this bad, what could I expect from service. Not worth the roll of the dice imo.

The weird thing is that the local BMW and MB dealer have been a great pleasure to deal with. The sales and service staff at the local Lexus dealership are great as well, but management is ridiculously bad (see my IS F caliper issues). We would have bought a brand new '10 RX with no questions but I wasn't willing to look past the poor treatment with my F....so we bought a Benz.
Old 10-30-09, 11:33 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
I understand what you're saying, but strong customer service is something I expect when spending this kind of cash. If the sales department is this bad, what could I expect from service. Not worth the roll of the dice imo.

The weird thing is that the local BMW and MB dealer have been a great pleasure to deal with. The sales and service staff at the local Lexus dealership are great as well, but management is ridiculously bad (see my IS F caliper issues). We would have bought a brand new '10 RX with no questions but I wasn't willing to look past the poor treatment with my F....so we bought a Benz.
pretty similar to my audi experience too. i had to ask for a salesman and waited a good 10 mins before someone approached me. but to certain extend i was ok with it.
Old 10-30-09, 11:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,540 Posts

to the A6....and nothing to do with the car itself.

I stopped by the local Audi dealership yesterday. Popped in to the showroom, looked at several vehicles, sat in a used A6...checked out everything it had...wandered around some more...and the only person that even acknowledged that I was in the building was a tech that walked by.

It was really odd. It's not like I rolled up in a t shirt and jeans in a beat up Dodge. I had my F parked right out front and was dressed in business casual. I spend more than my fair share on my vehicles and wasn't just window shopping. Oh well, BMW or Benz or Lexus will be happy to take my money instead.

My friend who is on his 5th Audi, admitted to me yesterday, that while he loves the cars, the dealerships are less than adequate.

I guess there's a reason the Audi drivers around here are douchebags....it starts at the dealership.
Originally Posted by Allen K
I have to agree with you on the dealership experience. Where I am if you don't have an appointment they couldn't care less about you. I do like the car though
i just don't see why it matters whether a salesperson comes up or not. personally i like to be left alone until i'm ready. and once you've bought the car, who cares if you ever see the salesperson again? i never have, ever, well once i now realize, for the vehicles i've purchased!
Old 10-31-09, 01:20 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think 2010 MB E350 4-matic is better deal/value than 535xi... love the performance of BMW's but my money would go to the Benz..
Old 10-31-09, 05:05 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

EXACTLY the reasons why even though I like Audis, after my experiences they are permanently OFF my list
Old 10-31-09, 05:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Wait for the '11 new generation with the new N55 single turbo engine and new body design.
The present N54 is hit or miss.Fuel pumps,wastegates,fuel sensors,fuel injectors etc.issues.
There's no fuel pump fix on the 10's.
Old 10-31-09, 05:08 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
I think 2010 MB E350 4-matic is better deal/value than 535xi... love the performance of BMW's but my money would go to the Benz..
I will agree on this one head-to-head... now, with new model reliability, as the 5-series still doesn't have kinks worked out, I think it's low-risk in comparison... the MB's seats are strangely stiff though...
Old 10-31-09, 11:02 AM
TwiBlueG35
Lexus Champion

My parents have a 07 Alpine White 530i with premium package and navigation system. I don't know how much has changed since that model year except engine upgrades and i-drive improvements. So I am just saying the flaws that I have found on that particular car so far. First, engine vibrates during idling, around 650rpm or so, and the dealer couldn't address any problem and claimed normal, when in fact even my sister's 96 accord 4 cylinder doesn't do that kind of shuddering. Music system failed once, everything including radio, cd player, navi, were all out, we took to the dealer and they fixed it for no charge, they said they upgraded the software. The alarm went off all of a sudden and no way to turn it off unless we switched on the engine, took the car to the dealer and got fixed after one day, for free of course, because it was still under warranty. Those were the problems we have confronted so far. The most annoying features on the car is I-Drive. Because the response time is so slow, meaning that it takes almost two seconds for the system to execute after whatever input you have entered. It took forever for me to enter the address for the navigation system, and it is by far the most cumbersome navi I have used so far, even compared to some cheap portable ones I have used before. The most obvious good thing about this car is that for its huge size it feels super light and nimble. I checked the brochure no wonder it is even lighter than my IS350, which is 10 inches shorter than the 5. Frankly in my opinion it is a very good looking sedan but it is not worth $50k because the car has almost no STANDARD bells and whistles unless the well equipped cars for up to $60k or so. No CD changer for that money? Even a Mazda 3 has one. I am sure the 2010 535i have a lot of improvements, and I don't know how much different the ride is from a sport package equipped 5.
Old 10-31-09, 12:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,350 Likes on 1,540 Posts

twiblug35 - interesting comments... a friend has an '08 or '09 528i and it's extremely smooth (idle or moving) and drives great. idrive stinks though and i still find the car overall pretty homely.
Old 10-31-09, 01:17 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Again, great input that I sincerely appreciate.

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
The Benz is still getting a look, I haven't had a chance to drive it yet so we'll see. There are some great deals on '09's, but I much prefer the '10's.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Wait for the '11 new generation with the new N55 single turbo engine and new body design.
The present N54 is hit or miss.Fuel pumps,wastegates,fuel sensors,fuel injectors etc.issues.
There's no fuel pump fix on the 10's.
Thanks for the input. I am waiting for the next gen....for my M5. Unless Lexus brings a true contender with the GS F. They can work the kinks out and then it will be time to replace my F.

Originally Posted by TwiBlueG35
My parents have a 07 Alpine White 530i with premium package and navigation system. I don't know how much has changed since that model year except engine upgrades and i-drive improvements. So I am just saying the flaws that I have found on that particular car so far. First, engine vibrates during idling, around 650rpm or so, and the dealer couldn't address any problem and claimed normal, when in fact even my sister's 96 accord 4 cylinder doesn't do that kind of shuddering. Music system failed once, everything including radio, cd player, navi, were all out, we took to the dealer and they fixed it for no charge, they said they upgraded the software. The alarm went off all of a sudden and no way to turn it off unless we switched on the engine, took the car to the dealer and got fixed after one day, for free of course, because it was still under warranty. Those were the problems we have confronted so far. The most annoying features on the car is I-Drive. Because the response time is so slow, meaning that it takes almost two seconds for the system to execute after whatever input you have entered. It took forever for me to enter the address for the navigation system, and it is by far the most cumbersome navi I have used so far, even compared to some cheap portable ones I have used before. The most obvious good thing about this car is that for its huge size it feels super light and nimble. I checked the brochure no wonder it is even lighter than my IS350, which is 10 inches shorter than the 5. Frankly in my opinion it is a very good looking sedan but it is not worth $50k because the car has almost no STANDARD bells and whistles unless the well equipped cars for up to $60k or so. No CD changer for that money? Even a Mazda 3 has one. I am sure the 2010 535i have a lot of improvements, and I don't know how much different the ride is from a sport package equipped 5.
Thanks for the valuable feedback from someone that owns one. Like I mentioned in a previous post, the new iDrive is light years better than the old system. There is quite a bit more in the '10, and I'm looking at fully loaded anyways.

On a side note, it's interesting that I can't even get some of the cool new options that you guys have down there. No HUD...No Night Vision...No 40/60 split seats.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
twiblug35 - interesting comments... a friend has an '08 or '09 528i and it's extremely smooth (idle or moving) and drives great. idrive stinks though and i still find the car overall pretty homely.
See above, in regards to iDrive.

I was shocked at how smooth the car was and how tight it was cornering for such a large car. Now, it doesn't handle like my F, but it's more than enough for day to day driving. I would also be putting the Dinan S2 package that ups it to 384 hp & 421 lb/ft. They increase the boost from 8.8 psi to 13, ECU tune, exhaust and strut braces.

As far as the looks go, they're of course subjective. Does your friend have the M sport package? I think it makes a world of difference and it's an absolute must have if I go this direction. Some new shoes and tint should complete it.
Old 11-02-09, 06:00 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i just don't see why it matters whether a salesperson comes up or not. personally i like to be left alone until i'm ready. and once you've bought the car, who cares if you ever see the salesperson again? i never have, ever, well once i now realize, for the vehicles i've purchased!
Exactly, I hate it when those salesman follows me around everywhere I go. Thats the way Audi do business, leave the customers alone to look and just ask for help when you need it. IMO, Lexus have the best dealer service, Audi is about the same as BMW and MB. Of course every dealer is different, but thats the general ranking from the dealers that I have dealt with.
Personally, I would not care if I like the sale dept or not. I go into a dealership to buy a car, not to make friends. I do not need to pay people to be friendly with me and kiss my ares. If I buy a car from a dealership and the salesman is **** off at me at the end of the deal, I have done my job and gotten the best price.
The service department on the other hand is a different story. Again, Lexus' service department is the best out of the them all.

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 535xi :thumbup: or :thumbdn: