Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 535xi :thumbup: or :thumbdn:

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 05:26 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
I think 2010 MB E350 4-matic is better deal/value than 535xi... love the performance of BMW's but my money would go to the Benz..
Now that I've test driven it, I completely agree.

The massive depreciation that the 535 is going to get hit with due to the new model coming out next year is also extremely unappealing....so it's out.

Hands down, the BMW drive's better from a sport/enthusiast perspective, but I think the new '10 E350 is a better all around package and exudes classiness/luxury over the 5 series.

The finalists are now the '10 E350 4matic and '10 GL350 Bluetec with only a slight hope for a '09 X35d. Front runner is the GL with it being diesel and being significantly bigger. The fully electric third row seating that is actually functional is a huge plus. Up front it's extremely similar to our ML but the extra space is enticing.
Old 11-07-09, 05:39 PM
LexFather

thanks for all the updates.
What about the x5 diesel?

Old 11-07-09, 10:28 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
thanks for all the updates.
What about the x5 diesel?
The X5 35d is an awesome SUV. However, it's essentially a better handling version of the one we already have in our ML. The one we have been looking at is a used '09 (old iDrive) that has 14K km on it. We can get a fully loaded '10 GL Bluetec for the same cash.

Ironically, we can get a full load '10 E350 or GL for the same price as a used, decently equipped '09 X5 35d. The biggest difference is in size. The third row in the GL is flat out awesome. In the X5 you're getting jump seats that are next to impossible to get in to. The GL is fully electric (with controls at either the side door or the tailgate) and have fully useable seats that can be stored.

The power in the X5 is impressive, but for the price premium seems completely out of touch with the competition. As I've made it clear in other posts, I've never understood the notion of buying an SUV for it's performance attributes. The GL provides far more true utility than the X5....a worthwhile trade off to the X5's superior "sportiness", imho.

P.S. I had the opportunity to view the new X5 M in Alpine White. OMG! It was easily the best looking SUV that I have ever seen...period. It had the camel leather interior with the dry carbon interior. I still think they're completely pointless......but if I had the $135K to **** away, I'd be all over it.
Old 11-08-09, 04:19 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
The X5 35d is an awesome SUV. However, it's essentially a better handling version of the one we already have in our ML. The one we have been looking at is a used '09 (old iDrive) that has 14K km on it. We can get a fully loaded '10 GL Bluetec for the same cash.

Ironically, we can get a full load '10 E350 or GL for the same price as a used, decently equipped '09 X5 35d. The biggest difference is in size. The third row in the GL is flat out awesome. In the X5 you're getting jump seats that are next to impossible to get in to. The GL is fully electric (with controls at either the side door or the tailgate) and have fully useable seats that can be stored.

The power in the X5 is impressive, but for the price premium seems completely out of touch with the competition. As I've made it clear in other posts, I've never understood the notion of buying an SUV for it's performance attributes. The GL provides far more true utility than the X5....a worthwhile trade off to the X5's superior "sportiness", imho.
GREAT choice... if we go high-end to replace the Sienna, the GL is the hands-down choice, I love it, so does the Missus and it's VERY reliable.. love the fold down feature... you hit it all on the head, samer benefits we felt!!!

P.S. I had the opportunity to view the new X5 M in Alpine White. OMG! It was easily the best looking SUV that I have ever seen...period. It had the camel leather interior with the dry carbon interior. I still think they're completely pointless......but if I had the $135K to **** away, I'd be all over it.
Would be nice, wouldn't it? But alas... $$$
Old 11-08-09, 12:23 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

e350 buletec? if you could grab a good deal on that it would be a great a combo of luxury performance and economy
Old 11-08-09, 12:28 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bad co
e350 buletec? if you could grab a good deal on that it would be a great a combo of luxury performance and economy
That was one of the questions we asked after driving the E350.

There was a previous gen E320 Bluetec, but we were explained that because there is such a high demand in Europe vs. low demand in NA, it will be at least a year or two before the diesel makes it's appearance over here.

You are correct though, it likely would have been a no brainer for us if the E Bluetec was currently available. We were thoroughly impressed with the new E class.
Old 11-09-09, 06:37 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

CDNROCKIES, the GL is one luxurious ride. We took a brief look at it while we were in the MB showroom, it was out of our price range. How much are the GL going for in Canada?
Old 11-09-09, 06:44 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Dump the IS-F & ML Bluetec & get an ML63 AMG.
Old 11-09-09, 07:07 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by The G Man
CDNROCKIES, the GL is one luxurious ride. We took a brief look at it while we were in the MB showroom, it was out of our price range. How much are the GL going for in Canada?
For the diesel they're just shy of $80K all in. That's before any negotiations and MB is offering some great finance deals (2.9%).
Old 11-09-09, 07:09 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Dump the IS-F & ML Bluetec & get an ML63 AMG.
If I was going to get into that class...I'd actually make the move to BMW and get the new X5M. Alpine white, with camel leather and dry carbon fiber trim. OMG! The hottest SUV I've ever seen with the numbers to back it up.

For starters, they're well out of my price range and secondly, they are all pointless...lol.
Old 11-09-09, 07:16 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
If I was going to get into that class...I'd actually make the move to BMW and get the new X5M. Alpine white, with camel leather and dry carbon fiber trim. OMG! The hottest SUV I've ever seen with the numbers to back it up.

For starters, they're well out of my price range and secondly, they are all pointless...lol.
I guess you will need to drive it to determine if it is indeed "pointless". Both the X5M & ML63 will make you wonder why you have the pointless boy racer IS-F in snow country Canada.
Old 11-09-09, 07:23 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I guess you will need to drive it to determine if it is indeed "pointless". Both the X5M & ML63 will make you wonder why you have the pointless boy racer IS-F in snow country Canada.
Wow...you just have to be a douchebag sometimes don't you.
Old 11-09-09, 07:27 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

At this point the only BMW I really like is the 550i but at $72+K loaded is too much $$$.
Old 11-09-09, 07:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
At this point the only BMW I really like is the 550i but at $72+K loaded is too much $$$.
Joe. I have not seen you on bimmerpost in quite a while. Did you trade in the 335 for the ES350?
Old 11-09-09, 07:49 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Joe. I have not seen you on bimmerpost in quite a while. Did you trade in the 335 for the ES350?
I did get rid of the 335i,Dash.Too small,too rough a ride and afterwhile the fuel pump issue was always in the back of my mind.The great power and handling afterwhile wasn't important as comfort and ride quality.
Got an offer I couldn't refuse and didn't get beat up too much.
Sent you a PM.