Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 535xi :thumbup: or :thumbdn:

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 11:57 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010 BMW 535xi :thumbup: or :thumbdn:

Ironically, there have been a couple of 5 series threads in the last couple of weeks. I've been looking at replacing the '03 X5 as we already have a great SUV in our ML and, to be honest, I'm not really liking the interior of the X. The seats are uncomfortable and the technology is a joke compared to our ML and F. The looks are, of course subjective, so I'm more looking at the technical aspects.

I was hoping to hear from anyone who has had some seat time or ownership of a late model E60. The car above is essentially, the exact car I'm looking at. '10 535xi with M sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound, Value Package and Comfort Access.

Now thanks to encore888 thread and 1Sick's additional tidbits , I am wondering about what the issues are. I haven't been able to identify any specific issues with the very late models (ie. '08/'09). The CR data does mention that it is one specific year that was a problem, so maybe they've worked it out?

Some summer wheels, dark tint and possibly a Dinan tune & exhaust and I think this car could make do until I'm ready for an M5/E63 or GS F in a few years. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 10-28-09, 12:14 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know all the _35 turbo models for BMW's have issues with their High Pressure Fuel Pumps. Some owners don't have problems, while some have had multiple replacements. I believe BMW has extended the warranty for that specific part, but it would still be a hassle to constantly have the pump go out and you make trips to the dealer.

Outside of that, I'm sure the BMW power and driving dynamics and updated electronics would keep you happily entertained. I'd definitely look into one if I was in the market for a vehicle of that size/price.

I know the Infiniti M's are about to be replaced, but I like the current sedans and they have AWD available on both the V6 and V8 models I believe.
Old 10-28-09, 12:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 188 Likes on 146 Posts

i read somewhere that within the past few months bmw has come out with a better design for the fuel pump that supposedly fix the problem. but yes, the high pressure fuel pump issue is one lucky draw problem on the 535 (and 335), some people boost up their cars big time and no issue, some people run theirs stock and it keeps on breaking

other than that i actually believe the latter years 535 have been relatively solid. the 2010 has new idrive system right? i don't think i have read much issues with that
Old 10-28-09, 12:24 PM
llamaboiz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

my neighbor has a 09 535i lease, i've seen the dealership loaner car in his driveway quite a few times AND i've also noticed that one tailpipe has ALOT of carbon while the other is totally clean

On a positive note he does say the car is a dream to drive/best handling car hes ever drove, when its not at the dealership getting fixed.
Old 10-28-09, 12:35 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say Jag XF with the 4.2 or the newer A6 3.0t. The 5 series is boring, the only configuration I liked in was the 535xi waggon in the british racing green and the brown leather interior.
Old 10-28-09, 12:52 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I test drove the 535xi last year when I was shopping for a replacment for my GS350 AWD, in typical fashion, it was the best performing sedan in all the cars I test drove, but thats where it ends. All other catagories falls short such as interior and exterior design, size, price which was near $70000 in your configuration in the US and ride comfort.
I guess if all you are looking for is a performance sedan, then the 535 is the perfect car, but if you are looking for something that a little more well rounded, keep looking.
Old 10-28-09, 01:04 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by rominl
i read somewhere that within the past few months bmw has come out with a better design for the fuel pump that supposedly fix the problem. but yes, the high pressure fuel pump issue is one lucky draw problem on the 535 (and 335), some people boost up their cars big time and no issue, some people run theirs stock and it keeps on breaking

other than that i actually believe the latter years 535 have been relatively solid. the 2010 has new idrive system right? i don't think i have read much issues with that
Hit the nail on the head... been reading on some of the BMW forums... this issue is on the rise again... limping home, sometimes great distances when the pumps fail... also rode and drove one down in Chicago a couple months back... Dinan won't change the intrior
Old 10-28-09, 05:33 PM
LexFather

Great points in here. The all new 2011 model is coming soon fyi

Old 10-28-09, 06:09 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Thanks guys....some very good points in all of your posts.

Originally Posted by pbm317
I know all the _35 turbo models for BMW's have issues with their High Pressure Fuel Pumps. Some owners don't have problems, while some have had multiple replacements. I believe BMW has extended the warranty for that specific part, but it would still be a hassle to constantly have the pump go out and you make trips to the dealer.
Noted, thanks! Like Henry mentions, I do believe (hopefully) that they have this problem addressed.

Yes, it does have the new idrive.

Originally Posted by bad co
I would say Jag XF with the 4.2 or the newer A6 3.0t. The 5 series is boring, the only configuration I liked in was the 535xi waggon in the british racing green and the brown leather interior.
Good suggestions, thanks. The XF is sexy but doesn't have AWD iirc...and Jag reliability is always a question This vehicle will see more of the winter driving, as I plan on giving my F a little more rest this year. The A6 will definitely get a look.

Originally Posted by The G Man
I test drove the 535xi last year when I was shopping for a replacment for my GS350 AWD, in typical fashion, it was the best performing sedan in all the cars I test drove, but thats where it ends. All other catagories falls short such as interior and exterior design, size, price which was near $70000 in your configuration in the US and ride comfort.
I guess if all you are looking for is a performance sedan, then the 535 is the perfect car, but if you are looking for something that a little more well rounded, keep looking.
Thanks for your opinion. I respectfully disagree on the interior/exterior and size. I actually think that BMW has made some good improvements on the interiors. I like that they have more options for colors, inside and out. The 5 series also has significantly more space than my F. I'm not looking for a performance sedan again....already have one....and if I was the CTS V would be at the top of my list. But I think it would be too much car for regular winter driving.

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Great points in here. The all new 2011 model is coming soon fyi
Thanks Mike. I agree.

Trust me...I'm all too aware of the '11's getting a redesign. I kinda have my heart set on the new M5 if it's the monster they're predicting to replace my F in a couple of years. Let them work out the typical Bimmer first model year issues and then jump on board. 'Course that could change in a hurry if Lexus ever gets around to releasing a true contender in the GS F.
Old 10-28-09, 09:07 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

if the 5 is getting redesign in 2011 MY, then the price of current 5 will take a pretty serious dump towards the middle of next yr. i don't know if that will affect your "incentive" to buy now?
Old 10-28-09, 09:21 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

if the 5 is getting redesign in 2011 MY, then the price of current 5 will take a pretty serious dump towards the middle of next yr. i don't know if that will affect your "incentive" to buy now?
Thanks Henry. Yes, I'm aware that the price will drop but too far in the future to impact my decision. Ironically, BMW is actually offering a several thousand dollar discount for a vehicle that is just getting to the dealerships up here. They obviously are aware of the massive depreciation that is coming.
Old 10-28-09, 09:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

the 2010 is already with thousands discount? that's interesting. but yeah, that sounds pretty attractive
Old 10-29-09, 03:29 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

New A6 and chip it
Old 10-30-09, 08:39 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

I test drove a new '10 last night and it had the new idrive. It is 100X better than the old system, although not as intuitive as the Lexus Remote Touch. If there is any way to upgrade your existing system it would be worth it. The other nice thing, is that it is operable while in motion.
Old 10-30-09, 09:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah the new idrive is definitely better, on the 3 series you can at least change the console to the new **** but of course not the system.

still, i think bmw nav system is freaking hard to use

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 535xi :thumbup: or :thumbdn: