Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some Lexus tidbits

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Interesting point about the RX, are there any issues or problems with the RX backup cam?
Like Mike said, it will probably cost an arm and a leg to replace if there ARE any issues, or if warranty doesn't cover it, such as in an accident.
Old 10-28-09, 05:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

4GS needs to have sports package, more head room , and more trunk room. They can also adapt a BMW type steering set up for more natural feel in the wheel.
Old 10-28-09, 06:00 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Couldn't get any info on the gs-f
Wouldn't say or didn't know?

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
SC: please water down the LFA

Exactly this!!
Old 10-28-09, 06:00 PM
TorontoIS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm a fan of the IS 350, I hope that they don't make it much larger. If that can keep the exterior dimensions very close to what they are currently, but extract a bit more space inside, it would be great. I love my IS and hope that they don't stray too much from that formula.
Old 10-28-09, 06:03 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
4GS needs to have sports package, more head room , and more trunk room. They can also adapt a BMW type steering set up for more natural feel in the wheel.
Don't mean to sound like a tit, but if you want BMW steering, why not just save yourself the trouble and......?
Old 10-28-09, 06:08 PM
azstinger1
Rookie

I really hope with the next SC they go back to path the SC300/400 went down. The SC430 is a totally different mindset than the originals, and I for one think it was a horrible mistake. They aren't bad cars by any means but sporty is not a word I would use to describe them. Having driven my step dad's (2002 and and 2008) frequently, I wouldn't call it a sports car, more of a cruiser (mediocre handling, removed from the road feel, decent power, and all sorts of gizmos, great for a long drive on the interstates bad for a drive in the twistys or a track)

Last edited by azstinger1; 10-28-09 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 06:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Great to see HS is bringing some younger buyers .
I'm not sure that age is really a big factor with the HS. I suspect that quite a few HS buyers are people of any age (including, of course, younger ones) that simply find the Prius/Insight/Civic Hybrid too geeky-styled and, of course, have some extra $$$$$ to spend.
Old 10-28-09, 06:27 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The news about the 4GS is a little worrysome to me because Lexus people have a very different view of "badass" or "beautiful" than most....I would know, I have worked with many of them on and off through the years. They think the GS is a sport sedan because Lexus advertises it as such, not because they know so. Many of them will also tell you that the HS is beautiful, so I don't really know how to interpret their comments on the GS.

If I heard these people say, "HOLY CHIT! THAT'S A GS?!?!" I would know that Lexus was on the right track. At least they didn't say it was ugly.

Yeah, the LFA is "badass" and so is the IS F but many of those people just have a different view of Lexus than we do. They look at the car and think, "Man we are going to sell a ton of these!" whereas most of us would think, "How much HP does it have? Torque? Weight? Suspension?". Also hearing that they think the 3GS has been strong but overlooked is another concern. The car, all truth be told, is really not that strong. They need to look at the 3GS and admit their mistakes and set out to build something that is wholly better and more advanced. I hope that is what they have done, rather than just think, "Oh, we had it right with the 3GS so let's not change much...we just need to advertise more." That would be a disaster.

Also, Lexus needs to have some sort of plan for the SC because AFAIK the car is due in 2012. Three years out with nothing on the drawing board is not a good sign...

Last edited by MPLexus301; 10-28-09 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 06:32 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The news about the 4GS is a little worrysome to me because Lexus people have a very different view of "badass" or "beautiful" than most....I would know, I have worked with many of them on and off through the years. They think the GS is a sport sedan because Lexus advertises it as such, not because they know so. Many of them will also tell you that the HS is beautiful, so I don't really know how to interpret their comments on the GS.

If I heard these people say, "HOLY CHIT! THAT'S A GS?!?!" I would know that Lexus was on the right track. At least they didn't say it was ugly.

Yeah, the LFA is "badass" and so is the IS F but many of those people just have a different view of Lexus than we do. They look at the car and think, "Man we are going to sell a ton of these!" whereas most of us would think, "How much HP does it have? Torque? Weight? Suspension?". Also hearing that they think the 3GS has been strong but overlooked is another concern. The car, all truth be told, is really not that strong. They need to look at the 3GS and admit their mistakes and set out to build something that is wholly better and more advanced. I hope that is what they have done, rather than just think, "Oh, we had it right with the 3GS so let's not change much...we just need to advertise more." That would be a disaster.

Also, Lexus needs to have some sort of plan for the SC because AFAIK the car is due in 2012. Three years out with nothing on the drawing board is not a good sign...
Good points. I tried to get more info to no avail. Good seeing you today, what a coincidence

Old 10-28-09, 06:32 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

GS-F is a MUST for the next generation GS IMO, otherwise, even a GS500 may get slaughtered by the new M56.

OTOH, a GS-F will make it quite certain that if anyone wants the ultimate Japanese mid-size sports sedan and can afford, they have to come to Lexus
Old 10-28-09, 06:35 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by azstinger1
I really hope with the next SC they go back to path the SC300/400 went down. The SC430 is a totally different mindset than the originals, and I for one think it was a horrible mistake. They aren't bad cars by any means but sporty is not a word I would use to describe them. Having driven my step dad's (2002 and and 2008) frequently, I wouldn't call it a sports car, more of a cruiser (mediocre handling, removed from the road feel, decent power, and all sorts of gizmos, great for a long drive on the interstates bad for a drive in the twistys or a track)
While I agree they should make the next SC more sporty, the SC300/400 aren't good cars for twistys or the tracks by any stretch of imagination either, so I think they have to go a completely new direction.
Old 10-28-09, 06:45 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I wonder what they did with that aluminum chassis that they have developed for the LFA?

34xxlbs in a new SC wouldn't be so bad
Old 10-28-09, 06:46 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good points. I tried to get more info to no avail. Good seeing you today, what a coincidence
It was good seeing you and the gf as well. There are 2 other black 450hs that live immediately around here- one I work with and one lives down the street, but I always do a double take thinking it could be you and today it was lol.
Old 10-28-09, 06:47 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
While I agree they should make the next SC more sporty, the SC300/400 aren't good cars for twistys or the tracks by any stretch of imagination either, so I think they have to go a completely new direction.
My hope is that they will create a GSc line, a la ISc, and move the SC upmarket to be a true SL competitor.
Old 10-28-09, 06:48 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
GS-F is a MUST for the next generation GS IMO, otherwise, even a GS500 may get slaughtered by the new M56.

OTOH, a GS-F will make it quite certain that if anyone wants the ultimate Japanese mid-size sports sedan and can afford, they have to come to Lexus
+1 Agree 100%

I actually think that this car has the potential to be the real game changer for Lexus. If they can come with a true mid-size sports sedan a la the M5/E63/RS6 they will firmly establish themselves as a true Tier 1 brand. This is currently the most glaring gap in the Lexus line up.

Quick Reply: Some Lexus tidbits