Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some Lexus tidbits

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-09, 02:54 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
-GS is already as big as it needs to be IMO. It doesn't need to get bigger, it just needs to get better. Seriously... if the GS is going to continue to be marketed as a mid-tier sport/luxury sedan, I really don't think buyers in that segment get into the current GS and say "man I wish this thing had more leg room". Leave that to the ES and LS buyers or else just give up on the GS = sporty mentality.

-I thought I had just remembered wrong when I saw the LFA's current list price. I kept thinking "wasn't it supposed to be in the Audi R8 range?". Guess I wasn't imagining things.

-HS was really close to appealing to me. I ended up disliking the exterior style (interior is nice though) and being a bit disappointed in the MPG. Otherwise it really was a big blip on my radar over the last year. I can see how it would attract a new sort of buyer as before the HS Lexus really didn't offer any vehicle I was considering this most recent round of car shopping.
Specs for mid-size premium luxury sedans:

E Class

Length: 191.7"
Width: 73"
Height: 57.7"

5 Series

Length: 191.1"
Width: 72.7"
Height: 57.8"

A6

Length: 193.5"
Height: 57.5"

GS

Length: 190.7"
Width: 71.1"
Height: 56.1"

Infiniti M

Length: 194.1"
Height: 59.4-60.0"

For comparison's sake,

IS

Length: 180.3"
Width: 70.9"

-------------

Compared to it's major, direct competition, the GS is the smallest car in it's class in terms of exterior dimensions.

So yes, I would definitely say the 4GS needs to be a little bit bigger in order to be more competitive.

In comparison to the IS, the GS is identical height-wise, pretty much identical in width, and roughly 10 inches longer than the IS. Yet, in terms of interior dimensions the GS is only a little bit larger than the IS.
Old 10-29-09, 02:58 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

E Class

5 Series

A6

GS

Infiniti M

For comparison's sake,

IS

-------------

Compared to it's major, direct competition, the GS is the smallest car in it's class in terms of exterior dimensions.

So yes, I would definitely say the 4GS needs to be a little bit bigger in order to be more competitive.

In comparison to the IS, the GS is identical height-wise, pretty much identical in width, and roughly 10 inches longer than the IS. Yet, in terms of interior dimensions the GS is only a little bit larger than the IS.
If it only grows an inch or two in length/height/width then no big deal. I was imagining a far more significant gain in size than that.

But for what it's worth I don't see anything wrong with the GS being the smallest car in its class as long as it's not by a significant margin. As it stands now you could put it next to a 5-series and probably not even tell which is the bigger car.
Old 10-29-09, 03:00 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

If it only grows an inch or two in length/height/width then no big deal. I was imagining a far more significant gain in size than that.

But for what it's worth I don't see anything wrong with the GS being the smallest car in its class as long as it's not by a significant margin. As it stands now you could put it next to a 5-series and probably not even tell which is the bigger car.
If the GS grows a bit in exterior dimensions, it will help a lot in interior dimensions. That is where the 3GS really suffers, as it's barely bigger in interior volume than the 2IS.
Old 10-29-09, 03:25 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headroom and rear legroom are the main shortcomings, IMO.
Old 10-29-09, 04:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

a lot of interesting info here indeed, thanks mike!

i am interested in finding out when the 4gs is coming. seems like a lot of people saying it's coming in 2011 as 2012 model? i kind of think it will be a bit late. imho the reason why lexus is coming out with the new gs (and needed) is due to the fact that the 3gs is to certain extend a failure. it just doesn't have the punch like the 2is and 4ls. the 3gs is not a bad car, i own one, but it's definitely been chasing after its competitors almost from the start, and there still seems to be a lot of limitations of on the car

another reason for the new gs to come out soon is the gsf. like some people have sad, gsf is a MUST. if they don't come out with gsf, lexus totally drops the ball and effort of the isf and lfa. they have to pick up from all these and continue the trend. gsf will definitely help lexus to set themselves a bit more than others and compete head to head with bmw and mb. just a normal v8 version won't cut it enough at all.

size of the 3gs can definitely use a bit increase, but more importantly imho is the design. they just have to design the car better and make use of space more effectively. the 2gs was a bomb, it was wow, it was dream for a lot of people. the 3gs suddenly become a very good excuse for people to NOT like the car. lexus needs to rebuild their reputation in this segment
Old 10-29-09, 04:03 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Having read what you wrote about the next GS, I don't think it's anything different than what we hear for every new upcoming model. Every car company forcasts their next model to be prettier or sportier, larger, faster, more efficient, etc. These promises typically seap up before the debut of just about every new model.
Having said that, I wait impatiently for the first photos to surface.
Thanks for the update.
Old 10-29-09, 04:16 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the GS grows a bit in exterior dimensions, it will help a lot in interior dimensions. That is where the 3GS really suffers, as it's barely bigger in interior volume than the 2IS.
I suspect they could increase interior dimensions quite a bit without making the car any larger or heavier. This is not based on any actual numbers I've looked at but it FEELS like the GS is one of the least efficient cars out there when comparing interior dimensions to exterior dimensions. It seems like there are cars out there no bigger if not slightly smaller that offer more interior room.

But again that's not based on any specific numbers/research of mine, just the feel I get from sitting in the GS.
Old 10-29-09, 05:24 PM
Haitwun
Pole Position

This is very exciting news. I would love to see what the new GS looks like. Will it still have a cassette player?
Old 10-29-09, 05:41 PM
LexFather

-GS is already as big as it needs to be IMO. It doesn't need to get bigger, it just needs to get better. Seriously... if the GS is going to continue to be marketed as a mid-tier sport/luxury sedan, I really don't think buyers in that segment get into the current GS and say "man I wish this thing had more leg room". Leave that to the ES and LS buyers or else just give up on the GS = sporty mentality.

-I thought I had just remembered wrong when I saw the LFA's current list price. I kept thinking "wasn't it supposed to be in the Audi R8 range?". Guess I wasn't imagining things.

-HS was really close to appealing to me. I ended up disliking the exterior style (interior is nice though) and being a bit disappointed in the MPG. Otherwise it really was a big blip on my radar over the last year. I can see how it would attract a new sort of buyer as before the HS Lexus really didn't offer any vehicle I was considering this most recent round of car shopping.
I'm with you. One of the appeals TO ME was the GS didn't get longer. I don't want a bigger car. I don't understand completely the appeal of a bigger car that is sportier. To me it cancels itself out. What does "scare" me is the GS might grow 3 or 4 inches and it doesn't sound like a lot but it IS behind the wheel.

E Class

5 Series

A6

GS

Infiniti M

For comparison's sake,

IS

-------------

Whats funny is the 1GS was 194 inches long and considered to big for its class. The 2GS was 189 inches and really used Euro proportions. Now the class is getting as big as the 1GS lol.

Old 10-29-09, 06:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

I suspect they could increase interior dimensions quite a bit without making the car any larger or heavier. This is not based on any actual numbers I've looked at but it FEELS like the GS is one of the least efficient cars out there when comparing interior dimensions to exterior dimensions. It seems like there are cars out there no bigger if not slightly smaller that offer more interior room.

But again that's not based on any specific numbers/research of mine, just the feel I get from sitting in the GS.
it is. although the 5 and e are both a tad (and i mean a tad) larger than the gs, they have so much more usable interior and trunk space. up till this point i still wonder where do all the space go in the gs
Old 10-29-09, 06:25 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Space utilization/packaging/layout are critical for maximizing space. Hopefully improved design and a longer wheelbase will help without stretching overall length too much.

The IS versus the C-class is a similar comparison to the 5 and E, it has 1-2 inches more wheelbase/length (and a bit more height) yielding considerably more rear seat space and headroom.
Old 10-29-09, 06:30 PM
LexFather

Good point and a lot of it has to do with how the car is "styled". The GS really tapers at the rear whereas the 5 series is a more traditional box design. The IS is even more styled, with broad shoulders like a coupe in the rear but it really compromises room. Look at the width of the IS rear window compared to the competition for instance.

Old 10-29-09, 07:37 PM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I just hope that the 4GS does not resemble the new RX or HS in any way. I'm not sure about you guys, but I'd like to look at the car once and say WoW! Unfortunately, that did not happen when the 3GS came out I had to stare at it, find angles from which it looked nice....