Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Some Lexus tidbits

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 03:08 PM
LexFather

Arrow Some Lexus tidbits

-dealers have seen the new GS already. Its bigger but didn't get huge. "Beautiful" was thrown around quite a few times in describing it. Lexus is going to work harder on also marketing it as they are confident once you drive it, you will like it. I couldn't get anything about engines
-new GX as you are aware comes out next month, think mini LX
-Lexus is still undecided on the direction of the next SC. It is one vehicle dealers constantly are asking about and there is nothing new to show.
-the entire sales and service process for the LFA will be completely different than any other Lexus. Including possible pick up on a flatbed, a regional service guy as a leader and one dedicated man for the LFA.
-the LFA was originally going to be a 100-125k car but Lexus decided half way through (I'm thinking when they decided to dump the Aluminum for Carbon Fiber) to go completely "***** out" with the vehicle and enter a completely new train of thought with the vehicle. Some buyers put down EARLY deposits and they were returned when dealerships found out the price would by 3 times as much.
-The HS is getting a younger buyer so far to Lexus so far, low 30s and "techie" and "green" people

Enjoy

Old 10-28-09, 03:18 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
-dealers have seen the new GS already. Its bigger but didn't get huge. "Beautiful" was thrown around quite a few times in describing it. Lexus is going to work harder on also marketing it as they are confident once you drive it, you will like it. I couldn't get anything about engines
-new GX as you are aware comes out next month, think mini LX
-Lexus is still undecided on the direction of the next SC. It is one vehicle dealers constantly are asking about and there is nothing new to show.
-the entire sales and service process for the LFA will be completely different than any other Lexus. Including possible pick up on a flatbed, a regional service guy as a leader and one dedicated man for the LFA.
-the LFA was originally going to be a 100-125k car but Lexus decided half way through (I'm thinking when they decided to dump the Aluminum for Carbon Fiber) to go completely "***** out" with the vehicle and enter a completely new train of thought with the vehicle. Some buyers put down EARLY deposits and they were returned when dealerships found out the price would by 3 times as much.
-The HS is getting a younger buyer so far to Lexus so far, low 30s and "techie" and "green" people

Enjoy
Awesome !

Thanks for the great news, some juicy tidbits in there .

Great to hear the new GS news, that means the car should premiere soon, I am guessing sometime next year. "Bigger but didn't get huge" is EXACTLY what the GS needed. Then if they make the next-gen IS only slightly bigger it will be perfect. If the 4GS looks better than the 3GS, that will be awesome for Lexus, and bad news for the competition . Most importantly, let's hope ride/handling, interior space, quality, and sportiness has been improved with the 4GS. More marketing will definitely be needed for the 4GS.

I am sure by now Lexus is really deep in the development process for the next-gen SC, just that they probably haven't shown it to dealers yet.

I for one am actually glad they decided to make the LFA more exotic and more exclusive. Otherwise, it would have been just another R8/911/GT-R etc. type of car.

Great to see HS is bringing some younger buyers .

Any word on a possible GS F?
Old 10-28-09, 03:21 PM
LexFather

^^ Trust me I tried to dance around the GS and get some more info but they are "good" at keeping things quiet.

One more thing. Since the RX has the backup cam in the rear mirror, the price for replacement is insane. Lets hope they don't need a TSB for it

Old 10-28-09, 03:27 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

^^ Trust me I tried to dance around the GS and get some more info but they are "good" at keeping things quiet.

One more thing. Since the RX has the backup cam in the rear mirror, the price for replacement is insane. Lets hope they don't need a TSB for it
Thanks for the rest of the info anyways, I guess we shall see the new GS and hear the details soon.

Interesting point about the RX, are there any issues or problems with the RX backup cam?
Old 10-28-09, 03:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First new GS info...anywhere! You're the man, 1SICKLEX! If one has innocuous truth serum... I like hearing these rumors though, remember "5ES is L-finessed 4ES with same pulled-back headlights" or "3RX will have unique joystick that controls pointer on screen" etc. No news on the 3SC is worrying, given that 2010 marks the same length cycle for the 2SC as 1SC...hope not longer!

Now for the 4GS, IMO if expectations don't get too high (although hopes are up there), there is a plausible chance of greater reception and success. I want to see a return of "Something Wicked This Way Comes!" They have their work cut out for them, competing in a more competitive segment, what with the E, 5, M, as well as XF, A6, etc. They need to up the quality on this model unlike the computer-tested version previously used. They need to have enough room for engine upgrades and the -F.
Old 10-28-09, 03:35 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
First new GS info...anywhere! You're the man, 1SICKLEX! If one has innocuous truth serum... I like hearing these rumors though, remember "5ES is L-finessed 4ES with same pulled-back headlights" or "3RX will have unique joystick that controls pointer on screen" etc. No news on the 3SC is worrying, given that 2010 marks the same length cycle for the 2SC as 1SC...hope not longer!

Now for the 4GS, I hope expectations don't get too high, although hopes are up there. I want to see a return of "Something Wicked This Way Comes!" They have their work cut out for them, competing in a more competitive segment, what with the E,5,M, as well as XF, A6, etc. They need to up the quality on this model unlike the computer-tested version previously used. They need to have enough room for engine upgrades and the -F.
I think expectations for all future Lexus models, especially sporty/sports models will be higher considering the LFA .
Old 10-28-09, 03:40 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

-dealers have seen the new GS already. Its bigger but didn't get huge. "Beautiful" was thrown around quite a few times in describing it.
Enjoy
awesome tidbits

GS: I don't want to hear the word "beautiful" to describe this "sport" sedan. I want to hear "bad-***" like we did back in 98

SC: please water down the LFA

.....just wishful thinking
Old 10-28-09, 03:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Thanks for the rest of the info anyways, I guess we shall see the new GS and hear the details soon.

Interesting point about the RX, are there any issues or problems with the RX backup cam?

Now for the 4GS, IMO if expectations don't get too high (although hopes are up there), there is a plausible chance of greater reception and success. I want to see a return of "Something Wicked This Way Comes!" They have their work cut out for them, competing in a more competitive segment, what with the E, 5, M, as well as XF, A6, etc. They need to up the quality on this model unlike the computer-tested version previously used. They need to have enough room for engine upgrades and the -F.

Well internally they still feel the GS is the "badass" Lexus outside the "F" line, so that was good to hear (I was fearing they would make it more buttery). They feel the current model is strong but its "overlooked" in comparison to the last model. (I feel it has a lot to do with how strong the competition has gotten compared to the 2GS).

Another tidbit I forgot was talk about the ES. Funny but it was acknowledged that the ES was pretty uninteresting overall to people even though it sold brilliantly. This current model is the first one they have received overwhelming feedback on the design and how good it looks (I agree) and how its been a big factor in purchasing it. So expect the next ES to follow suit.

The HS is the new "demo" Lexus for employees eligible. The loaded model.

Old 10-28-09, 03:43 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wonder how the 4GS will look compared with the Jaguar XF. Having seen the XF on the road multiple times, I feel it is a very nice looker for the class, and does carry 3GS design elements to a different level (IIRC, it manages to look sleeker while still retaining a fair amount of room).

The 4GS could make a better case of moving up from the ES and slot below the LS, as well as up from the IS line. I'd like to see it be a standard bearer as the E-Class segment is huge. If the new model is being shown already, that suggests the model cycle has been shortened from the 2GS (too long), and that's a good thing.

As for the 6ES, I'm expecting it to continue off the Camry platform and to remain a solid entry-luxe model, but it too also needs to step it up for the next gen. The current 5ES excelled in styling but the interior needs to advance the Lexus curve further.

Last edited by encore888; 10-28-09 at 03:48 PM.
Old 10-28-09, 04:06 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Any sign of a GS-F??
Old 10-28-09, 04:07 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

I wonder how the 4GS will look compared with the Jaguar XF. Having seen the XF on the road multiple times, I feel it is a very nice looker for the class, and does carry 3GS design elements to a different level (IIRC, it manages to look sleeker while still retaining a fair amount of room).

The 4GS could make a better case of moving up from the ES and slot below the LS, as well as up from the IS line. I'd like to see it be a standard bearer as the E-Class segment is huge. If the new model is being shown already, that suggests the model cycle has been shortened from the 2GS (too long), and that's a good thing.

As for the 6ES, I'm expecting it to continue off the Camry platform and to remain a solid entry-luxe model, but it too also needs to step it up for the next gen. The current 5ES excelled in styling but the interior needs to advance the Lexus curve further.
Weren't they moving the ES & RX to their own platform?
Old 10-28-09, 04:09 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Well internally they still feel the GS is the "badass" Lexus outside the "F" line, so that was good to hear (I was fearing they would make it more buttery). They feel the current model is strong but its "overlooked" in comparison to the last model. (I feel it has a lot to do with how strong the competition has gotten compared to the 2GS).

Another tidbit I forgot was talk about the ES. Funny but it was acknowledged that the ES was pretty uninteresting overall to people even though it sold brilliantly. This current model is the first one they have received overwhelming feedback on the design and how good it looks (I agree) and how its been a big factor in purchasing it. So expect the next ES to follow suit.

The HS is the new "demo" Lexus for employees eligible. The loaded model.
Great to hear Lexus has the right attitude with the 4GS.

It's interesting regarding the ES design feedback, as I agree as well. Personally the 5ES looks a lot better than the almost goofy-looking 4ES, exterior-wise. The 2010 ES gets some needed and nice interior improvements and touches. Hopefully the 6ES raises the bar more in terms of interior, especially considering some of the increased competition.

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Weren't they moving the ES & RX to their own platform?
RX is on a heavily-modified Camry platform; technically only the front-half of the 3RX is a Camry platform. The rear half of the 3RX platform is unique, with it's compact double-wishbone suspension. I suspect the 6ES might get double wishbone rear suspension, since both the 3RX and HS have it.
Old 10-28-09, 04:25 PM
LexFather

Couldn't get any info on the gs-f

Old 10-28-09, 05:03 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I hope the next GS can be held in the same regard that the 5 series is. By that I mean that the 5 is sporty, whereas the current GS is more of a luxurious sedan, which is also occupied by the ES. The A6 is another good example of a sporty midsize luxury vehicle.
Old 10-28-09, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

A colleague of mine just bought a year-old 2008 ES with 13,000 miles. It has changed (and improved) my view of this vehicle somewhat over the disappointing early-production 2007 models. I'll explain the details in a subsequent thread.

Quick Reply: Some Lexus tidbits